4-5 week old kitten advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi guys, luna just puked a few minutes ago, I knew she was acting a little weird in the last few hours, she started the whole licking her lips thing again and wouldn't go to sleep after like almost 2 hours of playing, even at this moment after puking she's still playing, which I suppose is good but Infeel like she's trying to distract herself from puking and that scares me. I just have her her last dose of clavamox at like 12am so I don't know what to do now. I thought we were done with the puking and now I'm so worried again.

She seems fine and is acting pretty normal but I am just so nervous she's going to start dry heaving like last time. I've been watering down her formula more than it has been in attempts to wean her off the bottle and onto a bowl, which she has started to eat from, I've been mixing wet food in her milk for a few days now and she likes it. She started eating wet food by itself again like yesterday so I thought we were okay. I don't know what to do

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What came up? Wet food, dry food, milk?
i attached a photo of it. it was pretty liquidy but i think it was liquid food. looked like a clearish white liquid. not foamy. and then the chunks on the shirt

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's acting 100% completely normal and not at all like what she was when she puked about a week ago. She's sleeping now but she hasn't licked her lips since before she puked so.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see the photo now. It may have been just an upset tummy. Did she get her medicine on an empty stomach? It may have been the clavamox that she threw up. See what happens after she eats again.

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see the photo now. It may have been just an upset tummy. Did she get her medicine on an empty stomach? It may have been the clavamox that she threw up. See what happens after she eats again.
I think maybe she did have it on an empty stomach now that i think about it. but i always give her a little bit of milk afterwards to wash it down. When should i try to feed her? She still doesn't voluntarily drink water so should i make her? I don't want to make her puke more accidentally. also i apologise for my spelling errors lol i haven't slept yet

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will drink water when she wants it as long as it is available. Do not make her. She is probably getting enough moisture from her milk and wet food food right now.

Try to get some sleep!

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. She is eating and drinking well, I think she has pooped once today and peed so that's good. She's acting a lot more needy than she has been lately, doesn't want me to leave the room and if I do when I come back she's meowing and she's letting me hold her and pet her and she doesn't really like that usually she starts to wrestle my hand if i pet her usually. She fell asleep in my hands on her back earlier and slept for a while. She has been licking her lips a little bit but definitely not a lot and she hasn't puked again and she puked around 5am. I haven't even been offering food she's just been going to eat and if there isn't anything there I've been putting moist food out so she's not hungry.

She's playing pretty normal though she just seems to be playing more than usual, usually she wouldn't play for like 35 minutes to an hour and then sleep for a few hours and repeat the cycle. But it seems shes trying not to sleep and just keep playing. So i'm not sure what's going on.

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi guys ! Quick update on Luna :)

She's doing pretty awesome lately! Poops are normal, peeing everyday, she loves to play and pounce around like a little bunny :)

I weaned her off the formula a few days ago, I was mixing more and more moist food into her milk until i just started giving her plain moist food on a dish and she ate it right up :) I might give her the rest of the formula that I have left but I'm not sure yet. She does tend to throw up after she eats something different so that's a little worrying, she's been eating a turkey and gravy moist food but I had been running low on that one so I tried to give her a whitefish moist food (or something like that) and she ate it earlier but she just puked a little bit about 35 minutes ago. I guess her tummy can only handle chicken/turkey. I still haven't given her the baby food I bought that I think I mentioned previously but I think I'll try that soon, I just don't want her to get too used to that and then not eat her moist food.

But other than the occasional throw ups, she's doing pretty good! Thank you all so much for comforting me and giving me and her advice on everything, I'm a big worrier and I panic over everything and everyone was such a big help and I'm so greatful :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear! Chicken and turkey are better for cats than fish anyway! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
How much do you give at once? Sounds like she is eating to fast maybe. Personally I have never had a problem with fish (Indy loves it) but you might want to try a lamb formula if she has tummy issues. Lamb is very easy on the stomach.

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How much do you give at once? Sounds like she is eating to fast maybe. Personally I have never had a problem with fish (Indy loves it) but you might want to try a lamb formula if she has tummy issues. Lamb is very easy on the stomach.
Probably a little more than half a can a day, the big cans, I still feed her as much as she wants to eat and that's all she usually does.

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, i posted a thread not too long ago about my little Luna when she was going through some stuff when she was 4/5 weeks old but i'm coming back again for some more advice :)

She's been sleeping a LOT today, she has honestly probably slept about 95% of the day (it's 5am on the 4th right now and i haven't gone to sleep yet, so yesterday would be like after midnight on the 3rd) i have no idea why she's so sleepy. I played with her a usual amount so she can't possibly be that exhausted, she's eating normal and peeing regularly, i did just change her litter last night (around 8pm) and she hasn't pooped in that yet so i'm not sure if she's gone in the last 24 hours but i think she did. She's on moist food and eats probably about a can and a half a day but i'm not positive. She hasn't been drinking water that i've seen at all in the past week but i just figure she's getting enough fluid because she's acting pretty normal other than the sleepiness and the tent test is always perfect and goes down immediately. She's been asleep now for probably 3 1/2 hours, is this too much? BecUse honestly i'm starting to get a little bit worried becuse usually she'll sleep for about and hour MAYBE 2 and then wake up and eat, go to the bathroom, and try to wrestle with my hands, she wouldn't even let me pet her in her sleep but now she is letting me pet her quite a lot and she doesn't try to scratch or bite me, i'm quite worried so i keep petting her in her sleep to see if she'll wake up and she does for a second but goes back to sleep again, should i just relax and let her be or is this a reason to worry? She hasn't had any shots yet or spayed but she was tested negative for feline leukemia and immunodeficiency disorder (or whatever that one test is i always forget what it's called).

Anyway! Sorry this is a lot i just have a lot on my mind and i am a HUGE worrier, especially with her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just like human babies, kittens sleep a lot, and perhaps more so when they are having a growth spurt. I don't think you need to worry! :)

Does she also have dry kitten chow 24/7?

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesn't eat dry food, just moist food but sometimes i will mix a little hard food in it but not often and when i do i always put a little more water.