4-5 week old kitten advice

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are experts at squeezing into places you'd never think of as Indy has taught me.

She could have gotten under a stand or behind the furniture where the vacuum doesn't reach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens are experts at squeezing into places you'd never think of as Indy has taught me.

She could have gotten under a stand or behind the furniture where the vacuum doesn't reach.
Maybe! Do you think since she's pooped it out she's alright now?

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! Luna has been pretty great lately :) She's been drinking quite a lot of formula though and I don't want to make her too full. She's almost gone through a whole 60mL bottle just today from 9am to 6pm. There's about 20-25ml left in the bottle so I'll be making another bottle soon. Should I start feeding her water in a bottle too so she doesn't get worms or anything? Because i give it to her when she seems thirsty but I feel like more than 60mL is a lot for one day. I got a scale and she is 1.2 pounds so she has gained quite a bit since I took her to the vet. I'll start weaning her soon but for now I feel more comfortable knowing how much she's eating and when it's happening. Plus she still doesn't drink water out of a bowl. So how much water should I give her if any at all?

Also! Her eyes are starting to fade a little more everyday from blue to green, is this more of an indication of how old she is?

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With Kittens you pretty much let them eat as much as they want. Theirs alot of bone and muscle development going on right now and she'll need lots of calories. Your milk replacer is mostly water so she's already getting alot. You can mix water with wet food and let her nibble on that if you'd like to get extra in her but if you pinch the skin on her neck, pull up and release, and it goes back down in under 3 seconds then she's well hydrated. Water won't do anything for worms but you shouldn't worry much about that with the nice poops she's been having. You can get her dewormed when she gets her first set of shots.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's starving!

At 18 ounces she needs 144 mLs of formula a day, but since she has teeth and weighs over a pound, you now need to immediately begin feeding her soft food. She is also capable of lapping her milk from a dish.

Please begin feeding pate-style wet cat food to her every 4 hours. Begin with a tablespoon and go up from there.

You will quickly see how much she eats at each meal, and she should have dry kitten chow to eat, and water or formula to lap in between.

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just tried to give her some moist food with milk added and she wouldn't eat it. She ate a little bit yesterday and the day before but not now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue with the formula, and keep trying the wet cat food. You can let her lick it from your finger, or even smear some on her mouth. You can also try the Getber turkey baby food that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Kittens usually love it. She will learn to eat soft food very quickly!

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Continue with the formula, and keep trying the wet cat food. You can let her lick it from your finger, or even smear some on her mouth. You can also try the Getber turkey baby food that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Kittens usually love it. She will learn to eat soft food very quickly!
She already was eating moist food before I started her on all formula but we wanted a few days of her just with milk for her stomach to settle from all of the puking but I'm still wary of putting her back on the moist food just in case that's what set her off. But I'm gonna keep trying.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know. I've followed your thread from the beginning. It's good to keep trying. It's time for her to begin eating. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn't pooped since yesterday morning so I'm starting to get worried again and she hasnt really touched the moist food either so I don't know what that's about but I really cannot handle so much stress with one kitty :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No worries! She will poop eventually. Try the baby food. She may be full from mllk, or she may not like the flavor or texture.

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trying kitten milk with about a teaspoon and a half of moist food mixed into it to get her used to it. I'm buying the turkey and chicken baby food tomorrow and will try that too. She pooped just now but my mom did take her temperature last night through her anus to try and get her to poop so that might've helped. Should we stop doing that? My mom is really safe about it and knows what she's doing but still I would want to cause any danger to little Luna. Here's the poop

She's really playful it's an absolute joy, not at 4am when i'm trying to sleep but she's really so cute! She's like a little bunny how she hops around and pounces on things it's very cute :)

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is doing just swell! Let us know if she enjoys the baby food. I bet she will. Good poop! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like she is doing just swell! Let us know if she enjoys the baby food. I bet she will. Good poop! [emoji]128077[/emoji]
Definitely will! I thought the poop looked a little bit twisty but I think I could probably find every reason to worry about something lol ;)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't anal probe her too often it can make them sore if it's done too much. Even if it is done properly I know from personal experience it hurts like ****.