3mo kitten with pneumonia - Praying for Survival!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoe zoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband saw her and said Zoey jumped from the ground and spun around. He said she bumped one of our dinning room chairs but not with her head. More like her shoulder/side area hit when she jumped. It's really strange because she is now so freaked out by everything. Noises, movements, anything. She crouches very low to the ground when she walks and acts like something is going to get her at any minute. I was able to get her to drink a little flavored water from her favorite wet food which is good. Not much but at least it's something. Fingers crossed she just pulled a muscle and may be tired from meeting her brother. I'll keep you posted! [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

Thank you ahead of time for all the advice!

lcf2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry poor Zoey is having this setback! I don't have any authoritative advice to offer... but my instinct would be to temporarily separate the kittens and try to get Zoey into a quiet, dimly lit place where she can calm down and feel safe. Maybe in the bedroom with you? I also would wonder if she is hurting. Can you tell if she is sore where she whacked herself? I hope she is back to her happy self soon.

Zoey and Cody are adorable together! I want to just scoop them both up and bury my face in all that soft kitten-fluff!

anneno2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please Cat Goddess help this little one. I have no advice as we are going through Zoey's  journey with her. Your poor husband he must feel terrible.. What affect's Zoey comes through to us. Love her as much as she will allow. Regards anneno2

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband saw her and said Zoey jumped from the ground and spun around. He said she bumped one of our dinning room chairs but not with her head. More like her shoulder/side area hit when she jumped. It's really strange because she is now so freaked out by everything. Noises, movements, anything. She crouches very low to the ground when she walks and acts like something is going to get her at any minute. I was able to get her to drink a little flavored water from her favorite wet food which is good. Not much but at least it's something. Fingers crossed she just pulled a muscle and may be tired from meeting her brother. I'll keep you posted! [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

Thank you ahead of time for all the advice

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a phone consult is a great idea. In the meantime, take Zoey back to her safe room - its possible that she's just overwhelmed and exhausted by the new experiences and unaccustomed activity of the past couple of days. Once she's back to her usual self, maybe go slower with allowing her access to the whole house - start with an hour or two at a time, then let her rest awhile. Gradually increase her time with Cody until she's properly back to full strength and re-accustomed to the bustle of the main house.

zoe zoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for all the advice! I did call the vet this morning. We noticed that on top of Zoey now being afraid of everything her eyes have been extremely dialated. My husband says they've been this way since I brought her home. The on-call vet didn't seem very concerned about anything going on with Zoey since she is still eating, drinking and going to the bathroom normally. However I would argue that she looks like she's lost some weight and her fur doesn't seem as fluffy as it did before we introduced her to Cody. We've checked her eyes with a flashlight and they do constrict which is a good sign. After being on Orbax for 14 days I know the potential side effects and want to make sure nothing underlying is going on with her vision.

I separated Zoey all day today so she could sleep and hopefully calm down. The good news is her eyes are not as dialated as they have been for the past 3 days. She is still timid and scared of any noises but seems "safe" in the bedroom.

It's the strangest thing to watch. A kitten who was afraid of nothing, explored like a lion, didn't mind the vet and let anyone hold her has all the sudden become scared by her own tail. My husband feels awful and is beside himself if he caused any of this! [emoji]128554[/emoji] We're just praying Zoey bounces back in a few days. Monday I'll be taking her back down south with me to her second home. We have an appointment on Tuesday with our usual vet to have her checked out. Praying once again this is all due to the environment changes. [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

Here's a picture from today with Zoey in her "safe room"...

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor girl, since she is now in her safe room, will she eat there? Also has she eaten anything at all today? Might try tuna and some eggs if you have it.Something smelly to tempt her, I worry about kitties when they do not eat but especially the kitties that are being medicated. Maybe a little boiled chicken might work. Does she have a cardboard box to sleep in her room? Makes them feel safe.

zoe zoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes Zoey is eating. She loves her dry kibble from science diet. Oddly enough I can't get her to eat anything wet. Tried everything from day one when she first got sick. She does drink the gravy from the wet can food, so I add extra water and hear it up a little for her 3 times per day. She'll drink that as well as plain water in between. I guess all things considered I'm lucky she is still eating. Just not as much as I would like. She only weighed 5.2 lbs on Wednesday so she didn't have a lot to spare.

I'll try getting her a box for tonight. Even though she's by herself in the bedroom it still may be overwhelming.

Thanks for the suggestions!! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

rnsophie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully she'll come around in a couple of days. She's already proven she's a fighter, right? :-)

Sophie

playerdark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe try to grind down the wet foot very finely and add water to make it look like gravy and then give that together with a bit of the original wet food, might make her want to lick the liqued stuff

zoe zoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'm think I'm at the point where I need some encouragement...On Tuesday Zoey and I made the 3 hour drive back south. She didn't slept hardly at all; mostly just sat up against the wall of her carrier. Once we got home she immediately recognized the house and purred like crazy! Pooped, ate and played with her toys for a few minutes, then about an hour after being home Zoey started "dry gagging". [emoji]128552[/emoji] It looked like she was trying to cough up a hairball, however nothing was coming up. She continued to do this all night. Strangly enough it only happened when she was sleeping. She would wake up, sit up and do the "gag" motion. During the night I did notice a little phlegm when she gagged but she never vomitted. She also started sleeping under the bed, which during everything else she's been through she had never wanted to leave my side.

I took her to the vet on Wednesday and they did an X-ray and noticed Zoey's stomach was extended and showed a whit cloudy area (similar to her lung X-rays). The vet wondered if Zoey swallowed something, but I know that can't be because I keep a tentative eye on her at all times. She also had a fever and even thru up white foam which concerned the vet. The vet gave Zoey some Pepcid and gave her a few BIPS so she can recheck her X-rays today and rule out any blockages.

So the good news, Zoey's fever went down today to 101. Her X-ray showed the BIPS moved properly through her GI, and her stomach was clear and no longer extended. All really great news! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Here's where I'm frustrated...when we got home Zoey played like a normal kitten. Drank some water and ate a little food (although not a lot). She was acting like her normal self then all of the sudden she started the gagging again. I can't associate it to anything. Doesn't happen when she plays. Doesn't happen after she eats. Mostly occurs when she's sleeping. It's got me and the vet stumped. At first we thought it was a result of the stress from meeting her brother, but it's been 3 days since they've been separated. Zoey's still eating both dry and (a little) wet food, drinks water and has moments where she plays like a kitten.

Has anyone experienced this before? I can't figure out what would be causing the gagging. The vet said she would run lab work tomorrow if the gagging continues but I'm not sure what that would show. We've been through so much in the short time she's been with us and I don't know if I can go through another major medical situation. Please help!![emoji]128554[/emoji]

anneno2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In all my years with cats and that has been a very long time never have I witnessed anything like the symptoms that Zoey keep displaying. Okay here is something is it A. your carpet? B. what you wash yours floors with? C. do you spray anything e.g.. hairspray, insect repellent. I ask all these stupid questions for a reason. I don't think it has anything to do with her food, because it only seems to start  when she comes home. Best regards from Australia. Ps you could try grating cheese for her see if that helps her appetite.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Could she be having some type of acid reflux ? For the gagging to be most noticeable in sleep might mean something is relaxing. Or it could have to do with her body position. I have no idea if cats can get hiatal hernias.

Hang in there. The fight isn't over yet.

lcf2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you video what she is doing and post it? Maybe some of the experts on here could tell something from seeing it. (I sometimes even shoot video to show the vet.)

I'm wondering if the reason it happens most when Zoey has been sleeping might be because that's when her stomach is empty. That might suggest some sort of stomach irritation or ulcer. Sounds like your vet was also thinking that way, since she administered Pepcid to reduce Zoey's stomach acidity. Irritation or erosions in her throat or esophagus could also make her gag. She has taken so much medicine for so long that it wouldn't be surprising if she has some gut irritation. How does she eat--defined mealtimes or free feeding? Does there seem to be any relationship between when she eats and when she has her gagging episodes?

I know you're worn out and you probably have spent a year's pay on vet bills at this point--but I think that, if she was my kitten and having this problem, I would probably want to have bloodwork to make sure nothing is wrong with her liver or kidneys (both of which can cause nausea).

You've been through so much! I want you to know that I have found your dedication to Zoey very inspiring. It shows how strong and special the best cat owners can be. Whisker kisses and hugs to both of you!!

zoe zoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much lcf2015 for all the suggestions!! I keep trying to take a video but since her gagging is so speratic and doesn't last long it's hard to have the camera ready (even using an iPhone). I think I agree with you in that I'm just going to have them do a complete blood panel bc she doesn't seem any better today. I leave dry food out so she can eat whenever she's hungry and she hasn't touched it since yesterday around 6:00pm. She ate a little wet food around 11:30pm but nothing since. She hasn't pooped in 2 days (did pee twice) and she's been sleeping all day today. Her fur looks very flat and dingy which I learned from before is a sign she's not feeling well.

The vet was stumped with what could be going on since it didn't appear to be any blockages. I'm not sure the Pepcid really worked either bc as soon as we got home yesterday Zoey started gagging again. I don't think it could be stress from last weekend as it's been a long enough time since she's been separated from her brother. I'll keep everyone updated once we get back from the vets. I'm praying that this is just a stomach infection and nothing more serious. Now that she's not eating I'm starting to get very worried. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

zoe zoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've dropped Zoey off at the vets. They are going to run a complete blood panel and another X-ray. I should hear from them within the next few hours. I'm hoping they were able to figure it out. I've been looking on line at dry heaving/gagging in kittens and it can definitely make you go crazy! Anything from teething (which Zoey is doing), to a parasite or infection, to fluid in the lungs to cancer! Of course I'm leaning towards the teething or infection but what a spectrum of diagnosis.

Praying that Zoey pulls through yet again! [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By any chance, do you have those little round springy toys like this at home? Or the rubber rings that come off the new gallons of milk?

Similar to these 
I ask because I've read of cats eating them and them getting stuck in the cat and then the cat either vomits it up and there is surgery needed. For that reason, I never bought them, was planning to but then read about.

zoe zoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Zoey Update... Again...

We just got back from the vet. Her bloodwork came back normal. Kidney, liver, WBC all normal. X-ray showed the same as Wednesday with no changes. Stomach clear. Lungs clear. Only difference is her breathing sounds congested. Dr. did say that she noticed drips from Zoey's nose and tried to extract/flush it out to see if she could tell if it has puss. Wasn't able to get much. Zoey lost .5 lbs since Wednesday bc she's not eating much and at 5.5lbs to start she doesn't have room to spare.

We decided to start the Orbax/Clavamox again bc the vet thinks the gagging may be from post nasal drip. We're going to keep the antibiotics on thru the weekend and see how she does. The vet is hoping this is just a symptom of the herpes virus that flared up with the stress of meeting her brother. Darn boys, see what they can do! [emoji]128540[/emoji] Needless to say we're back to the regimen from 3 weeks ago. Hopefully the antibiotics will do the trick and nothing more serious is going on.

My goal this weekend is to get her to eat and drink as much as possible. I went to the store and bought several brands of wet foods to entice Zoey since she doesn't typically like wet stuff (messes up her pretty fur...LOL). [emoji]128515[/emoji]

Nansiludi...thanks for sending the link. Fortunately I don't have those in the house and can see how they would be a huge safety hazard for cats. It's looking like Zoey's gagging has nothing to do with eating something and more to do with an infection. I'm praying the infection won't be so dramatic this time since we're catching it early. Fingers crossed! [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]