3 week old kitten eating solid dry food, drinking water and using liter box since 2 weeks old?

vicomin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, i adopted a kitten a week and 3 days ago from someone on facebook, took her to the vet right away and they estimated she was a month and a half old so they suggested i fed her dry kitten food, water and buy her the liter box. as advised i started giving her dry food the first week a little wet with warm water but she started eating it fully solid after, she drinks water a lot during the day, goes to the liter box on her own since day one, quite normal for a month and half old kitten, thing is i contacted the person i got her from since my friend wanted to adopt a kitten from her and she told me they where born on march 15 this year, so basically i took the kitten home at 2 weeks... what do i do? i´m going to the vet tomorrow again. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

hello, i adopted a kitten a week and 3 days ago from someone on facebook, took her to the vet right away and they estimated she was a month and a half old so they suggested i fed her dry kitten food, water and buy her the liter box. as advised i started giving her dry food the first week a little wet with warm water but she started eating it fully solid after, she drinks water a lot during the day, goes to the liter box on her own since day one, quite normal for a month and half old kitten, thing is i contacted the person i got her from since my friend wanted to adopt a kitten from her and she told me they where born on march 15 this year, so basically i took the kitten home at 2 weeks... what do i do? i´m going to the vet tomorrow again. 
I suspect the first owner got somehting wrong.   If they meant 15 february, everything would be just so.     So, its 15 february.   Or perhaps even somewhat earlier!

It MAY be so, some persons wants as young kittens as possible, litterally infant babies.   This was perhaps a try to  make her younger, if the owner though you were such a one.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: If she's been eating solid food, there's no way she was just two weeks old. That usually starts to happen between 5 and 6 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vicomin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah it sounded super weird to me, I have taken her to 3 different vets and they all say she's about 6-7 weeks old. I'm more worried about her vaccines, since she has to start at 8 weeks and now I got her age all messed up

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Vaccinating at a certain age isn't written in stone; just think of all the stray adult cats shelters take in and vaccinate because they have no history on them. While it's a good idea to start early to protect against diseases and because kitten shots are given in a series at certain intervals, it's not a big deal if you start at 10 weeks. Just keep her inside and away from other cats until she has full immunity.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no way the kitten was that young.  At 3 weeks, they are just beginning to get teeth, barely.  They also cannot poop/pee by themselves at only 2 weeks old.  As stated above, there is no age to start shots, but it is critical to get the series on the correct dates.  The vets and shelters up here give a series of 4 shots 2 weeks apart.  Then a booster every year. (this has some controversy among some people), but I always give my animals boosters.

I am so happy you chose to adopt and give a helpless kitten a life and a friend.  Good work.