3 ferals at snow

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, you don't like Mouku pulling at your hand?
I can see how this might work for someone working with one kitty and be a problem with two or more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Oh, you don't like Mouku pulling at your hand?
I can see how this might work for someone working with one kitty and be a problem with two or more.
Well, if he does not get desired result, he will repeat it with more power and claws on, they are rather sharp

Boys are licking fingers too, I don't think they are afraid of being close or hands, it is perhaps bit more to do with general appearance of huge monster and their territory. I can't shrink my bones, so I have to try to get them feel comfortable even if I'm on their territory.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well our little Ming Loy (now that she's 7!) goes right for the fleshy part of the hand (between the thumb and first finger) when she wants pets and I'm not petting her. That nip HURTS!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Well our little Ming Loy (now that she's 7!) goes right for the fleshy part of the hand (between the thumb and first finger) when she wants pets and I'm not petting her. That nip HURTS!
Ouch, that must hurt, quite sensitive area, but they learn incredible quickly to ways of getting what they want and they really don't understand our vocal communication too well as they read more of scent and body language

Mauku got bit scared as I was cleaning litterboxes near window, then she had come to sofa that is at front of window, so she was less than 3 feet of me, she did look a bit like cartoon character after being hit on top of head with a log, she was trying to go into two directions at same time and managed only to sit, I then gently tapped a toy that is hanging from roof, she did not like from that at all, so when I got up she did flee into hiding place and did not came out for rest of the day.

She will get over of that, but maybe little setback.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mauku is so wonderful, I came home from trip and she was first one to come to eat, then I did lie down to their sofa and played with a cat toy, she comes to play with me with some eye kisses, Miuku comes then and eats treats from hand and licks fingers clean too.

While I was on sofa, Miuku did express his dislike of me being there, by flicking tail upwards few times, that is his place you see, I consider that great as he really is settled in now

When I'm still they come and go out there without much of problem.

edit: Feeding starts to be bit silly, they all come very quickly to bowl, now bowl is bit too small for all of them, so I can't get food to bowl because they eat it all from spoon before I can get spoon to bowl.

Miuku decided to lick finger again and even Mauku decided to put her nose next to my hand and examined it with closed eyes. Still they do hide when I come, but as soon they come back, hopefully I can make some progress now as there is summer break at travelling.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm Mouku

I don't understand why, but they do move that blanket every day to that position, so I'm slowly giving up to them

Also I found out they had pulled yet another mattress down behind the curtain, they are quite decorators, or should I say mess makers.

dunnyboy69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was about to say 'hey, any new pics?', so lovely to see this one. Keep them coming: they are really growing up fast.
Greetings from the other side of Europe...I like your Eurovision song!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, I have to be very quiet, Mauku has no place behind the curtain so she sleeps at open, that was sight I saw today from gap of door:

They are very well at home indeed, some days they are bit more shy, some days bit more brave.

I did make a bridge across the room today, so now they can walk in heights again, from one shelf to another. Mouku was quite qute when he did look at it first time, then he was like if rubbing eyes would be needed and walked to another direction while looking up, he was so curious about bridge, that he almost forgot food, which is the first time, he eats more than others usually

I replaced my older D40 camera with D3100 because D40 did broke last summer, however this D3100 seem to be quite bad in low light and with small details, so it has put me away a bit from photographing, it seem to be not possible to get as great bird photos with this camera as anything bigger than ISO100 seem to be very noisy (well, kind of blur noise), which is bit of disappointment.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again I want to comment that I enjoy this saga so very much. They are such beautiful cats, and you've done so much for them, and work with them so well.

Thanks for keeping the thread going.

Recently I saw a TV show that featured the breed Norwegian Forest Cat. I know you are in Finland, but I would think your cats are similar. It said on that show that these cats do shed so much in the spring that their coats are a lot shorter in the warm months. I think you had a question about that a while back. Long coat will grow back when they need it.

Robin

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is rather easy to determine if they are making noise on purpose, after that they do disappear and do not come even for food if I go to give them food right after the event, they decided that today I should be up at 6:30am, while they do know that it is not until 7am that I normally get up, very cat like, waking up before alarm clock

I forgot one cup on table, so they thought it would be funny to toss that down, table is next to my bed so it kind of woke me up, then fast running sound was heard and after that nothing else, they are clever, but still bit shy.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mouku was today on that 'bridge' I made for them, he clawed that narrow 2 inch wide pathway and then sat on there examining what others were doing below, he did look like if he would of enjoy from that quite a lot, too bad I had no camera on hand at the moment.
It is odd how Miuku is brave to come see what is happening, but he is first to go hiding, Mouku is last to come examine new things, but is not very easily hiding, where as Mauku comes for food first, other things not so interested, but she mostly does not go hiding, well she has no hiding place either behind the curtain, but she is showing that she does not need one either.
Even they see and know these daily routines, they still like to be scared or brave, depending from situation and for different cat different situation is scary it seems.

Mauku did not see any need to hide today, I scooped their boxes and she did not pay much of attention, slept and sometimes looked out from window, then I put food and she came to eat, also sniffed my hand several times, after she ate well, she turned facing away from me and did good long stretching, without any hurry at all.

Oh and Miuku did come to my side to examine things, then went away, but still after that he was too scared to be on same room with me, even he did take treat from my hand after that without a problem. He is bit odd sometimes.

They are taking treats from my hand, but are not taking them if I put my hand on floor and treats between my spread fingers. Also it might not be that they are scared, maybe it is what they want, but it is still quite different thinking in their minds than what my thinking is.

Edit: Most logical one is Mouku, but he sometimes look like if having two minds...

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday evening there were some issues, Mauku hissed and growled to Miuku, same goes on today too, she immediately moved away from bowl when Mouku came and as Miuku came she was again growling and hissing, even she did go to her hiding place she kept going without anyone being near her.

Now she then decided to go hiding behind the curtain, and then hissed and growled at Miuku again. I thought that spaying/neutering would get rid of kitten separation process too, but if it is about that, perhaps they need to be separated and later re-introduced if possible?

Miuku is rather confused, he is still considering Mauku her mother and comes next to her tail up, bumping his head to her chin and all he gets is hissing, growling and other things like that.

Maybe it is needed to disassemble their hiding place, so they would have to be open with me, so they would not have any other choice but to get along with me, I have been thinking that maybe I'm giving too much privacy for them as there is lot of space where to hide so that they don't need to see me.

Have rest of week to solve things with them now, don't know how well it does goes, of course it could be that Miuku has got over excited and surprised Mauku when she did not wanted to and that had made her pissed, but all I know is that Mauku has been really pissed to Miuku since yesterday, very odd all of sudden, imo.

I always thought that they would handle these quickly by themselves too, so maybe that is case now too, who knows.

Mauku decided now to go on my side of upstairs as I'm on their side, she clearly did understand when I said no to her hissing growling thing, she pulled quite a face on that one

Surely it adds to their confusion, that I'm being bit of middle of their dispute by staying close to them, just because I'm bit worried if they would hurt each others.

It is a long time since I did last time spend so much time with them, so much trips lately, but it is quite a lot that they have changed, before my trips it was impossible to have them coming into same room when it was bright day, but now I'm sitting typing this and they are walking around me, being curious of what I'm doing, using litter box and even coming to sofa next to me, so they are quite much tame now in that sense.

They still hide when I come to room, but when I sit on one place a little while, they start to explore me and especially Mauku is very brave and comes to sit on window which is something like 1/2 feet from me, of course not very relaxed yet, just sitting and looking what I'm doing, then after few minutes hiding again, but still they are learning quite a bit even I'm not around, it is perhaps that my scent is around even I'm not.

Hmm, maybe my 'no' did have some effect, or the fact that I did go to their hiding place to say that to hissing Mauku, but now they seem to walk side by side just fine, better be as today I plan to clean their hiding place, so they have to spend some time without it...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JTbo

Mauku got bit scared as I was cleaning litterboxes near window, then she had come to sofa that is at front of window, so she was less than 3 feet of me, she did look a bit like cartoon character after being hit on top of head with a log, she was trying to go into two directions at same time and managed only to sit...
I can just see it. BTW - she looks SO COZY in that picture!!!!! I love sleeping kitties.
So content!

As to the growling/hissing.... I've found that as the older rescue kitties adjust and become more comfortable, they go through a phase of being more assertive about the space they want with the other kitties. I think this process is normal and basically means they're less afraid than they were before. I expect they'll work it out.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read from deaf cats, they are bit of challenge, great to hear you are taking care of one of them, can't imagine how it is being deaf cat, even deaf human is difficult, but species that have so highly evolved hearing it must be quite different world.

I have also read that they do have lot more sensitive whiskers and other senses instead, so that they can somehow manage without hearing.

Today my 3 cats had really stressful day, because I did clean up a bit, also tore some plastic carpet off and made new cat house to wall, where they can either jump or climb, top of it is too accessible, but only for fearless and highly agile kittens, also there are only two openings which both are quite small and few peek holes, it is quite roomy from inside, with natural pine flooring, that is smoothed so that it is nice to sleep at.

I don't know if they are happy from it, but at least they have now one more place to conquer, so if they decide to have their own space, there is now three places to choose from, well actually 5 if you count semi open ones, one place however is behind the curtain so there is 3 different places there alone, however those are quite close to each other.

I'm now bit curious if anyone is willing to come and take new place to his/hers.

Mauku was at window when I came back and now she did flee into his carboard hideout, I'm hearing how she is turning and slowly moving around while peeking from peek holes which I made to it long time ago, few times she have come down and peeked from entry hole, but then she has gone back. Because of building that new place they seem to be bit more cautious than usually, but I think they are getting over from it, eventually, they are just bit jumpy on these kind of things it seems.

Surely there was loud noises and huge monster moving around, so for their point of view it was probably end of the world kind of event.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mauku is starting be bit of a problem, now when I got a sleep yesterday, short after she comes next to my bed, hissing and growling at me.

I called her name with serious tone of voice and if anything she growled more, thel I got up and she did flee to cat room behind a bookshelf, where from she growled and hissed to others, who were quite puzzled.

Then I chatted with boys, that did look their mother with asking frustration on their faces, and both were sitting close to me, after a while as hissing stopped and one eye stared furiously behind the bookshelf (Mauku kept half of her face behind the bookshelf), I got on my fours and walked right next to Mauku and asked what is the problem, there she stared at me with tongue sticking between teeths, ears flipping back and forth as her round eyes tried to be angry, but failing at that she did look just stunned.

After little chat she decided that she will go to window, but as she jumped on sofa Mouku was there eyes closed, so Mauku bounced like a spring backwards right when her first jump landed and she tried to hiss and growl at same time which resulted only sound similar of some people do with mouth water while blowing air, don't know name of that sound.

She clearly goes to some mode where other cats are very scary to her and I'm of course always been scary to her, too scary to come close that is.

I now closed to wardrobe door so there is one more place to hide, so if she should have place to choose to be hers.

It did occur to me last night, that maybe it is I who have taken her place, maybe she has already taken wardrobe to be her place, as when I travel that door is usually closed, so now I see what evening brings with that door closed.

Oh and Mouku has lerves of steel, Mouku sitting right next to him, like touching distance, Mouku is relaxed like a ragdoll and keeps his eyes closed while one lady is shouting things at him, ie. hissing and growling onto his ear, so usually Mauku is not hissing or growling at him, because it has no effect, Mouku does not care, let the world come down around him and he just observes it coming down, but during the day he goes hiding, probably because others go, but that boy surely knows how to save energy.

Oh and finally I did put carrier behind the bookshelf, maybe Mauku is going into that for privacy.

Yesterday I did put all mattresses on place and now none was on place. They are building their own places from them, bit like ants, building corridors and halls so I think it would be best to just give up, they will probably quit that too during the time, but I can't tolerate Mauku hissing to my ear when I'm trying to sleep

edit: One thing I keep forgetting, Mauku did loose all her claws when trapped and she had to wait vet time in a trap, I don't know if they are grown back, we did play once with her and she did used her paws, but it seemed that it was not the claws then, spreaded toes, but can't remember seeing claws, don't know if that might be any issue. I'm really tired from last nights growling things, should be working but I'm constantly microsleeping, maybe best to take small nap at cat sofa, it is really good sofa for naps you see and also it makes them bit less scared, I think.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of our cats lost one of his claws once. It did grow back just fine, and other than when he first lost it he didn't seem to be in any pain. But I wonder if maybe they are growing back and she's growling because she's in a bit of pain?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

One of our cats lost one of his claws once. It did grow back just fine, and other than when he first lost it he didn't seem to be in any pain. But I wonder if maybe they are growing back and she's growling because she's in a bit of pain?
If root/core of claw is damaged, then it does not grow back, however I don't know how it is with her, she is not currently willing to play, mostly just sits on window, sleeping on window or hiding if I come in, she seems to be bit pissed at me as I did not allow her to hiss or growl last night, maybe she will sort her lego bricks right soon, she is now putting her head low and looks at me with half closed eyes, not the friendly way, but who would not if it is first time something is forbidden from you

Boys had not touched their toys last night, I would say that her behavior is affecting to boys too, they are being more scared and less playful, one reason why I would like to get this issue away quick, but don't know if that is going to happen anytime soon and also I'm bit worried if it is because she would need a vet visit that she is growling and hissing to others, maybe she would need some help, how could I know as I can't get enough close to do any basic checkup.

edit: I made quite fun toy to play with them, one piece of fishing rod, string and small piece of cardboard, I did cut cardboard to shape of butterfly, as cardboard is light it does bounce a lot and they are really excited by that, Mouku got so much into game that he missed a jump a bit and landed sideways to water bowl which was quite far away, but with his speed he made that distance quite a quick and my gosh how fast he did run behind the curtain after that, but after licking himself dry he came back and started to play again.

Miuku was too very excited and playing a lot, he started to play quicker but got tired first, he came very close to me and was lying on his side watching me, also Mouku got tired, but even he was resting on ground he liked to paw air into direction of toy flying on air, both liked that very much.

Mauku was on window, facing towards action and keeping her eyes closed, not hissing or growling this time. Also she is letting others to sit right next to her most of time, just sometimes during the night growling at others starts.

I made also other cardboard toys for them and used their fallen hair to make some toys too, kind of fur cigars, they like to toss those around.

Miuku was really sweet, I made tiny ball from two cardboard circles, cutting them half way and putting them together from cut, so it is rolling on floor, Miuku came to see what I'm making, then I put it on ground front of him, where from he took it with mouth and carried to where they like to play like if it would be very important to him.

Cardboard toys are what they like most, also one squeaky thing hanging from roof is which they like a lot. There are lots of different toys but they do hide some of them so I don't know where they are.