3 ferals at snow

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found something from floor which is by colours cat hair but may be also toy they have broken, it is hard from middle and rather furry, there was other one too, it had dark and white fur, also attached was tiny hard ball of fur.

Maybe that is furball or maybe it is broken toy, I cant really tell, it does fill palm rather well and it is not really ugly or disgusting, I hear some thing furballs are almost like poo as appearance?

I really would like to brush them, but I know I'm at least 3 months from even touching, much more if pace is like this...

edit: I took photo from Miuku as he came looking my camera, maybe I caught him while he pupils were changing, or pic is generally bit off, but there seems to be bit black on his eye on yellow area, also he seems rather skinny, don't know if there is anything to be worried about really, but I'm quite bit on my toes as I have seen so little of them. Maybe nothing, they seem to be doing their stuff very normal way, maybe I leave some other food for them too, 3 cats have eaten maybe 600 grams in 6 days, which I think is close to norm, they are no more too fat at least and it might be just huge amount of fur that they had before.

http://jtbo.pp.fi/images/road_pics/n...ing_window.jpghttp://jtbo.pp.fi/images/road_pics/n...ing_window.jpg

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He sure is handsome!!!!!!

I think maybe he looks smaller just because of losing his winter coat. I don't have experience with cats and winter coats, but I know Jazz looks about 10 pounds heavier with his winter fur than he does once we cut him in the spring. He looks like a completely different dog.

Miuku is still a very handsome boy!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh look at that face - and WHAT an expression!

His hair DOES look short now! I wonder if cats up in your cold winter wonderland have longer fur coats in winter?
I mean - they'd need it!

And of course he looks skinnier without all that fur! All I know is that when I switched our cats to all wet food from free feeding on dry with two wet meals of food a day they all seemed to lose weight. Several were due for their annuals so I took them in. I thought the vet was going to tell me they were too skinny. She said they are the PERFECT weight. They look boney to me.

It could also be he's going through a growth spurt. They do that, and especially with the traveling you're doing, you'd see the results, not just have it be gradual.

As to the fur ball toy.... hair balls are usually dark no matter the color of the fur, because it sits in their stomachs, and the white hair gets "dyed" from the food and stomach bile. They're usually brownish, which is why they can look like poop. Our cats hair balls range from just hair thrown up - not a ball so much - to ones that look like poop, tightly packed - kind of like a lumpy short cigar.

I think you've got a toy someone destroyed - and maybe ate and threw right back up.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is his "I'm curious, but bit scared and soon to flee" face

I must examine more of what fur things I have found, fur matches to their colours rather well and I don't think that they had such toys, but can't say anything certain.

There was small pebble/ball attached to one, it was quite solid fur kind of material, nothing like any toys have had.

Luckily tomorrow starts few days vacation so I can get some more time with them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my family's cats would lose his coat in the summer. He looked like a Maine Coon--a big brown tabby--but I don't know if Maine Coons lose their coats like that. Anyway, in the winter he was truly a longhair, in the summer he was basically shorthaired except his tail was still fluffy and he always kept his "mane". I'm sure other cats do that, too.

The hairball you found is probably a mat someone pulled out of their fur. A throw-up hairball would be goopy and gross. A mat is like felt.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

The hairball you found is probably a mat someone pulled out of their fur. A throw-up hairball would be goopy and gross. A mat is like felt.
That sounds very likely to be what it is, they seem to still play with that, but they do play with everything, I guess

Today I did play with them a bit and also they were curious about litter box cleanup, Mouku did lie on floor some 4-5 feet from me, Miuku was checking other boxes, then staring box I was working on, then jumping to sofa, jumping to behind the curtain, eating, drinking, jumping to window, going to other litter box and digging in each of them, then running to my side, running back, well you get the idea, he is the hyperactive one

Even Mauku did visit on my side when I was not there, she also was out from hiding after that, but eventually she had to go hiding, she is not so brave as others are, she is scared foot, one who hides.

Miuku was brave enough to walk past me while I was sitting at computer chair, less than foot away, he wen't to explore my bed, then got spooked as I moved a bit and did run to his side, however right after passing me he did stopped and stared, then he did continue without too much of hurry. He starts to understand now that I'm not going to eat him, at least not right away, but he still needs some time to get well used to me.

However Miuku and Mouku both dislike a lot if I close the door, so I have to keep that open now, I must make few arrangements so that they will not have chance to get into other part of the house, that is just to make sure they will have no any chance of escape, so I try to keep 2 locked doors which cat can't open between them and outside, all the time. Currently door to stairs is in theory possible to open by a cat as there is no proper lock, but I will install some kind of there.

Also have to think about windows, might need to open them at the summer, but then I need to make some kind of grating, preferrably bolted one, so there is no way of escaping from open window.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did manage to capture a video, sorry that it cuts bit short, editor did cut more than I wanted to, maybe I need more practise in using it.

They are getting more and more trustful, last night someone woke me up, I did felt something at my upper part of arm, like spider running along the arm, then I did remember feeling just before someone stepping right next to me, so I tried to not get spooked as it was cat whiskers that I felt on my arm, someone decided to come and examine me a bit when I was sleeping.

Promptly he did jump away, but it was second time last night that someone was curious, there was someone earlier under the bed making noise and also on leg side of my bed.

Also after the sunset, if I go to their side, instead of fleeing they are coming to see what is this monster upto this time.

However after sunrise to sunset they are pretty much hiding and not coming out even if I put food for them, which other time will result 3 heads examining bowl with great curiosity.

Surely cats are nocturnal, but soon there is no night at all, in two months sun merely dips under treeline, so it is quite inconvinient hours that they are out then, only about hour during midnight, if they keep this up, now they emerge after 9 to 10 pm and go hide around 5am.

They still tend to hide when I'm walking in their room, well not Mouku, he is staying partially hidden, but he is often not coming to play, even he does want to, but he is too scared, but still not as easily hiding as Miuku is, which again comes to play without hesitation.

Mauku does come if there is food offered after the sunset, but she mostly stays hiding, still she has no issue to eat from spoon, she defies logic.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm now on cat sofa again with laptop, I most defineatly hear someone snoring and there is only cats and me here, if they can sleep so well, they must be either really tired or then learning to trust me

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I did touched Miuku's head when I did gave him food, he did not noticed it, right, who am I kidding? With sensors of cat he certainly did notice, but acted like he would of not notice that at all.

Today Miuku and Mouku did play just few inches from me as I used some packaging plastic 'ribbon', it makes nice sound and is hard to catch, they love it.

Even Mauku came to see what is going on, she was staring it from bit further apart, then Mouku did steal ribbon from me and hid with it at incredible speed, Miuku went after him and soon sounds of fight emerged, had to take another one of those toys which was much better from their opinion as soon they forgot one they stole and started to play with new one.

They are incredible, they do consider their side of upstairs to be their home, they do visit my side, but they seem to have none any of interest to go outside, they are not trying to escape at all and if I open door outside they just go and hide on their side, like being scared of what is outside of their current 'world'.

Must now go to see what they did do just now, lot of loud noises at least

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness it feels like I've been gone from TCS forever!
My GOODNESS they're coming along!

And ahhhhh, the litter box! That was something that fascinated most of our cats for quite some time. Every time I went to scoop them, there was always somebody watching, inspecting my work.

And we're very lucky the same way... we were always worried about someone trying to bolt outside, and as we live in the RV, we have no way to have any "levels of security" between inside and outside other than the one door. But NONE of the cats has EVER shown ANY interest in going outside again. I think they all like never being wet from rain or snow, too cold in winter, or too hot in summer, never being hungry....

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I did cleaned litterboxes, Miuku went hiding, Mouku sit like a ragdoll, and examined what I do, then I moved to clean two boxes near the window, Mouku did hesitate a bit, but eventually climbed to window and was under 3 feet from me while watching what I am doing, head turning direction of shovel as if he had locked target.

Then I got up and walked away and he just observed there, like ordinary house cat.

I did hear also that Miuku was behind me looking what I'm doing, but he likes to hide easier, Mouku is more scared but he still hides less.

alexandrajames

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful that Miuku let you touch his head!!
Glad to hear that Mauku is coming out to see what is going on as well.

Luna is very observant now when it comes to me cleaning out her litter box. She seems rather confused as to what is happening. It's very funny. As I'm scooping she is sitting only inches away watching every move I make and after I clean it out, she has to go back inside just to make sure everything is alright.

Seems as though Miuku, Mouku, and Mauku are loving their new home!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miuku did today something new, Mauku was eating from bowl that I was filling, then Miuku came and rubbed top of his head to Mauku, purring about feet from me, then he did do same on floor, on door and then he seemed to like to get near to me, but was bit too scared, but he was still purring, tail high.

Mauku did move away when he did try to rub his head to her, don't know what is with that, maybe it was just because she was eating and as I was about feet from her.

Mouku visited me just moment ago, he likes to visit here for some reason.

edit: Mauku visited too, she visited wardbrobe that is just end of my bed, so she must walk from less than 2 feet from me to get there, but she did stand there and examined what I'm doing on bed as I'm typing laptop, I think that keeping door open is good.

I did bought new shelves today, I put those so that they can climb up of them and so that they will have some hideout there too, just need to put it together, each shelf should be able to carry loads of 300kg, so it is quite sturdy, did cost only 30 and is from floor to ceiling.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did play a bit with Miuku and Mouku, they both did come very close and played, then I did offer them one finger and they did sniffed it quite long time, was bit silly looking when they did do that simultaneously, they did not retreat after that, usually they get nervous after such, but not this time, I guess they have learned my scent from t-shirts that I have left to them.

There is now opening at wardbrobe so they can run around the chimney, which gives them bit more options for chasing, but they must come really close to me to be able to go to wardbrobe, so I'm hoping it helps them to get rid of their fears a bit more.

Last night someone tried to wake me up, I guess, first I did notice someone jumped to bed, then I felt paw on my leg, whom ever it was from 3, he/she increased pressure slowly and finally kind of stomped on my leg, after that he/she walked towards my head end of bed and I fell on sleep again, but it was long time that someone was standing on bed, probably staring

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miuku likes from new route to his side, or then he is just very suspicious that I'm about to leave, anyway he did walk around and around and around for quite a while, coming from door, exiting from opening I made to wardrobe, even now it is daylight, no one has ever come to my side during daylight.

It is sometimes difficult to tell what is on their mind, but it is usually easy to tell when they have something in their mind, but that is how it is with humans too, many of you have a hubby and you surely know when your hubby is about to do something he should not

edit: Even Mauku did come out during daylight, she did that when I was cleaning litter boxes, Mouku was sleeping on sofa, even I had door open, he did scared a bit when I came in, but still was on sofa, until walked to edge of curtain, there he did examine what I was about.

I think that they are going to be up during the day from now on, but I'm not sure, they just were extra active during the day, might be that they are changing their schedule now.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, Mauku is not allowed to sleep behind the curtain it seems. I went to clean litter box, Mauku was on window shelf and of course goes to hide when I enter, but she then run out from their hiding place and is bit puzzled what to do, she then decides that window shelf is better place than floor next to me and there she was whole time, when I did left she did not even looked to my direction, not even ears was turned towards me, she just lied on shelf and watched what was outside.

So just now I did bring food to them, Mauku was again in room, on floor and she did go behind one bookshelf, but did not really hide as I did put food down she came to look food, then she stared at me, bit scared, but I guess she has no chance to hide well now, so she is just kind of accepting my presence, I think.

Other are very brave too, they come to sniff finger and examine my hand when I fill the bowl, also they stomp on me when I'm about to sleep on my bed, Miuku and Mouku jump on bed, then stomp on my legs and walk on top of me with shaking paws, they are brave, scared and very curious.

They are still ferals, watch to eyes and boys will flee, Mauku in other hand seem to be bit more tolerant, but she is the one staring most of the time

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So is it because that is one of the boy's hiding place?

I think they like very much the sleeping monster - not so scary! And even stomping on the monster doesn't result in anything scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mauko may not have such good hiding places... but with all that staring, she's taking it all in... and of course, she can see the boys interacting with you and still nothing bad happens!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy's sleeping area is behind one curtain, there is room for two beds actually on that area, so there they spend lot of time, hiding and sleeping, Mauku has been there too, but she is not anymore there, it seem to be boy's area now, there is also access to wardrobe where they can also come to my side, there is also some soft cushions there for resting, if they prefer darkness and privacy too.

Mauku decided that it is ok to come to my side on daylight, she then sat middle of room and watched me for some time, later I cleaned litterboxes and she was sleeping eyes closed at window shelf, she is always like she would like to say something, I really don't know what is going on in her head, but she is perhaps going to tell me soon enough.

Sometimes Miuku decides to walk straight towards me, then walk past me and go behind a door, then peeks from there. He does that when I give treats to them, sometimes he is there on his side and chin up pawing air, sometimes he paws under the door and then I his paw with finger, which results him coming to look what was that thing other side of door that touched his paw.

They are getting so close and without being scared that it is bit difficult to not try to pet them, but can't do much yet, just touch almost like if accidently touching so that they would understand such thing is not bad, maybe then could do bit more.

Mother cat likes from new big shelves I recently put to them, she stretches and then claws it with great passion. Shelves has no any finish, just smooth wood surface, so it is nice for them to mark it. There is scratching board too, but she prefers wood over scratching board. After eating she does that, it is bit of an ritual for her to do it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH! I saw a great recommendation from hissy to another member, I don't know if you saw it? I don't remember where it was, but she has over 20 years of experience, and here's what she suggested. Put your hand down on the floor with your fingers spread out, and put treats down inbetween your fingers - and let them come eat them (if they'll approach).
Gets them close - and close to your hands with yummy good things from hands!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

OH! I saw a great recommendation from hissy to another member, I don't know if you saw it? I don't remember where it was, but she has over 20 years of experience, and here's what she suggested. Put your hand down on the floor with your fingers spread out, and put treats down inbetween your fingers - and let them come eat them (if they'll approach).
Gets them close - and close to your hands with yummy good things from hands!
Yes I did see it, but I just pick treat between my two fingers, point with it towards Miuku and he comes and gets treat from between my fingers, while Mouku comes to sniff what good is given and demands to have same by putting his paw on top of my hand and pulling a bit

They are some way very tame, some way quite feral, for short time they can tolerate quite a lot of my presence, but it still is quite short time.