(2001 Thread) Plane just crashed into the world trade center

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buttercup429

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It does seem like a long time ago. It's weird how the subject of my original post cought the moments that the first then second plane hit; I was writing as it happend. Going back and reading it makes me remember all the confusion and chaos going on at the time! Love to all!!!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Independence day to Tybalt and everyone. Many of us don't think about not being free people until that freedom is threatened. I am so grateful for my freedom. And for living in a fairly safe environment where everyone of every place of origin and every gender, has opportunity for a good life.

rock&fluff'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking at the thread and was thinking it happened again or something!!! wow...it seems like it happened just yesterday to me....I still remember it all...

dougbug

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i did not know any of you when this happened but i can tell you this much, i was at work that day and we have tvs in are cafe. and it had just happened when i was on break, and i never spent such a awful day in my life, i have never had anything like this affect me like this did, i couldnt even go to work the next day, i couldnt sleep for thinking about those people, i pray that nothing like this never happens again, and i also pray for the troops that are in a battle over this very thing.

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading over this thread makes the events of 9/11 come back to me. I was also at work, early in the morning, one of the other teachers told me about the planes. We did not dismiss our students, but many of their parents came to pick them up. I remember trying to explain why someone hates us so much to my 6th grade class. How do you explain something you can't understand yourself?

Tybalt, thanks for digging up this thread and reminding us how much we all have to be thankful for.

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was one day to remember even though I wish I never had the opportunity to remember it.

It was the first day of my vacation and I was thrilled because my boyfriend was flying in that day to spend several days with me. I got up early that morning and just happened to turn on the TV. I watched it from the minute it began and I've never felt such anguish from watching TV. I knew my vacation was ruined, but I thanked God that my boyfriend wasn't on one of those planes. I remember watching all the coverage and thinking that this couldn't be happening. I can't imagine how it felt to be part of it or having family involved. It was too heartwrenching for me to watch, I could only imagine how it must have felt for the others.
It's really hard to believe it's almost been 2 years. Time has really flown by....but America will never forget such a tragic event.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I heard the news, on my car radio that morning. I don't think that I've ever been so shocked and horrified, by anything.

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow.

I found this thread while searching for something TOTALY irrelevant.

I couldn't help but to start reading it.

I have been sitting here crying for the last hour or so.

I was there. I lived it. And I can't believe that I have "forgotten" how I felt in those first hours.

I was working in Washington DC. Georgetown. Less than a mile from the Pentagon which was located across the river.

I had taken a cab into work that day. It was a BEAUTIFUL morning. We were at a stop light and the man next to me had the top down on his convertible.

He was listening to NPR and that is when I heard about "A twin engin plane hitting the WTC"

I thought to myself. "Wow. That is horrible!"

I thought nothing more.

I got to work, and the phone rang. My mother was calling, (She lived in Houston) She wanted to tell me that two planes had the WTC. I said, no mom, it was ONE TWIN ENGIN plane. Not two planes, I had already heard it on the radio just a few minutes ago. She said NO, BOTH TOWERS are on fire. It was two planes!

My co-worker and I dig out the tv and get it hooked up to the local new channel.

My boss calls the office (there are only 3 of us that worked in this office) She is stuck in traffic outside the pentagon on Washington BLVD. She will be there as soon as she can. Traffic is at a stand still. We tell her about the WTC and that we will have the news on when she gets here.

We finally get the news on, see the burning towers. Not 3 min into us having a signal on the local channels, the "Break to Washington for news of an explosion at the pentagon"

We were in shock.

We ran outside and the smoke was just billowing out of the side of the building. All we could think about was our boss, and if she was ok.

We ran back inside, unsure of what to do. 15 min goes by, and my boss calls again.

She had been trying to get a hold of us but lines were blocked. She was frantic. And this is a woman that never looses her cool. She had seen the plane. It went right over her. She saw it hit the building, shrapnel from the pentagon hit her car. She could hardly talk, she was in such shock. She was driving home and wanted to suggest that we do the same thing, but was affraid of us driving across the bridges to get back to Virginia.

That was the most surreal and sickening time of my life. All we saw for days was military, tanks, ground to air combat posted at street corners. The ONLY planes that were in the sky were fighter jets, and military helacopters. Police and fire squad sirens poluted the air.

I knew people on that flight. I knew people that were killed in the pentagon. I had many friends that were directly affected by this attack as well.

I get so upset when people get p*ssed off at President Bush for going after these animals. All I can say to them is, You weren't there. You were not there.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember that I was a senior in highschool....and I worked in the front office for 1st period...I was one of the only students who saw it actually happen live because they had a tv in the office.... It was soo scary... at first we just though it was a mistake for the first plane...but then when the 2nd plane came around we were are all frightened...

I remember that I had to go let one of the students know that her father was ok...because he was suppose to be in the trade center...When I was walking the halls it was very quite every tv was on and all the students were staring with blank faces. I probably scared the poor girl to death when I asked her to step outside with me. She got a breathe of relief when I told her what her mother said....

Does everyone else remember what they were doing when 9/11 happened?

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Yarra that is a touching story. I cannot imagine the fear and heartbreak you all felt. I know how I felt and I wasn't there and don't know anybody who lost their life.
When I think about what might have happened if they had not stopped it yesterday I just wonder what this world is coming to and what kinds of attacks will be being made in 10 years time.
on September 11th, I had a driving lesson after school which finished at 5pm. The chaos had already begun when I got dropped off at my step dads office so he could take me home. We sat listening to it on the radio and then drove home to watch on the news. The whole evening was more or less spent in silence.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i found this thread while searching for other stuff too. i remember exactly what i was doing:

i was teaching third graders at the time in a portable in southern maine, not an hour from boston. I leave early in the morning, wearing a blue shirt (still have it) and gray pants. The day is beautiful, we start teaching and I hear my email ding around 9am. it was my boyfriend (now my husband) saying a plane hit a tower. I couldn't do anything until 9:50. Throughout the class children were being dissmissed . . .no one said anything. I had a prep for the second period and spent it listening to the radio and watching tv. By the time the third class came in, it was 11am. there were so many children missing and nobody could say anything.

finally at the end of the day we had a staff meeting and were congratulated on keeping everything calm while the children had school.

i drove home, listening to the radio, cried. . .couldn't believe what they were showing on tv (people jumping) and remembered how many channels were 'off the air'. i resorted to watching some children's shows to get my eyes of the disaster.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can remember exactly what I was doing, as if it was yesterday. I had been working at home, it was mid-afternoon here. Hubby was in the living room with the 24 hour news channel on and he called me down to say that a plane had just gone into the WTC. They were saying it was a light aircraft like a Cessna, but we were saying it was much bigger than that. Knowing how big the buildings were and the kind of plane we had seen in the pictures we couldn't believe it was a light aircraft.

We were just glued to the news - it was awful. Then, after a little while, we left to fetch my daughter from school. While we were waiting in the car, listening to the news on the radio, we heard that the towers were falling.

I will never forget the sickening feeling of understanding what was unfolding before us. Those poor poor people and their desparate families wondering what had become of their loved ones.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be honest, I went cold when I saw this in the Lounge.

I was like, my god, this can't be happening again - it really took a second to realise 'of course it can't be happening again - they're gone.'

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember working in a cookie factory when the towers were hit. I was a temp worker. And I remember one of the line leads telling me and me being in disbelief at first. And when it came time for lunch the normally very loud break room was silent except for the tv. And all of us being scared. And I remember one of the girls being worried cause her daughter was just get through boot camp in the army. And her saying she hoped her daughter wouldn't have to go to war. And for days we watched and one of my favorite news reporters from fox news was on one of the planes. And my boyfriend at the time made me so mad for cussing about them showing her picture and for not caring about what had happened. He made the statement that well you gotta get rid of some of the excess population anyway and I broke up with him right then and there cause I couldn't be with someone who could see all that loss of life and be so uncaring. And me and his sister sat and watched what was happening and we were in shock

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at school. I was changing classes and there was virtually noone in the halls. I couldn't figure out why. No teachers were standing outside like normal. I glanced into a classroom and saw the WTC on fire. I hurried to my next class and watched the rest unfold. It was crazy. That is all we did that day. Eyes glued to the news stations. A friend of mine had just returned from a trip to NYC and gotten her pics developed the night before. She had the pics of the WTC with her. It was the most creepy thing ever when they collapsed. She was sitting there with pics of it in her hand yet those buildings didn't exist anymore.

beatrix426

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok let's see if I can get through this haha stupid pms'ing isn't helping the crying! I was a senior in highschool and I lived on Long Island. 2nd period they made an announcment that a plane had hit one of towers..we all thought how in the world could someone make that mistake but then as we switched classes and were told a second plane hit the tower we knew it deff wasn't a mistake. Everyone started calling their parents and we just spent the next few periods talking about it while parents started pouring into the school to pick up their kids. My friend lost her father who was a fire fighter, our school secretary lost her fiance. Our city's sky line wasn't the same anymore
After it happened I went home watched the t.v. for a bit but frankly I couldn't sit there and see that over and over again. I couldn't even turn on the radio because they had those songs with those people saying things into it. It was all very upsetting and i just couldn't handle it.

This is why I can't go and see that movie. We didnt know the trailers were out so when we went to go see a movie it came on and we were bawling in the theater. I think it's to soon but I've found not a lot of other people feel that way. And now just yesterday we got a reminder that those people are still trying to hurt us. These things can still happen though thankfully we are more aware so hopefully this will never be able to happen again. It just still amazes me that people out there can do this to fellow human beings.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! It may be 5 years ago but it feels like yesterday.

I had just stepped out of the shower when my husband called and told me to turn on the TV. I was in shock thinking how do you make such a mistake and crash into a building.

We set up the TV at work and for the most part spent the morning glued to the TV. We live outside a huge Air Force Base and the f-15 and f-16's were taking off every 5 minutes. Our local radio said that our Base was under a threat and everyone needed to stay where they were. They wanted everyone off the roads. I think that is when I freaked out because two of my sons went to school right outside the gate of the base. Which happens to be next to their fuel holding tanks.

I immediately left work and checked two of my sons out of school. We spent the rest of the day glued to the TV hoping to see survivors pulled from the WTC.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in college at the University of Delaware walking to my first class at 9:30. When I got to class, the professor said something about a plane hitting the WTC, but then he went on with class so we didn't think too much about it. After class, all of the TVs in the University buildings were showing the news and students were just staring. I went to my 2 other classes that day because the University was encouraging us to not let the horrible people who did this interfere with our lives and our learning. At night, I went to the school's candlelight vigil on the grass. I spent the night with my boyfriend at the time so I wouldn't be alone, and he offered to pray with me even though he isn't very religious. I was scared that it was only the beginning and that there would be more attacks on the U.S. the next day when I woke up.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I'll be honest, I went cold when I saw this in the Lounge.

I was like, my god, this can't be happening again - it really took a second to realise 'of course it can't be happening again - they're gone.'
Me too. When I saw the thread my heart skipped a beat... then I realized it was impossible that it happen again.

I remember exactly what I was doing that day as well. I had a job interview at a lawyers office downtown. I started getting ready when I woke up that morning so I didn't have the news on as I usually do. On the way to the interview I listened to a cd, so I didn't hear any reports on the radio. I went into the office for my interview and they had the tv on the office. I heard a bit of what had happened, but was called back to the interview before I could learn more. That was the longest interview I had ever been to because I just couldn't wait to get out of there to watch the news. I got to my car as quickly as I could and left. I headed straight to my parents house instead of going to my apartment alone because I was scared and didn't know what was happening. As I was driving I noticed that there wasn't any activity. People weren't walking around in the streets as they normally do downtown. I guess they were glued to the tv as well. I got to my moms and sat down with her to watch the news reports. We didn't even greet each other, no words, we just sat and watched. I called my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] who was at work and let him know where I was. They were watching tv there as well. I remember watching them play the video footage over and over again and just crying as I watched everything unfold through the day. I had never before seen something impact our entire country the way it did that day
I remember everything seeming so surreal, like it was a dream.