2 Kittens - Totally Different - Odd Behavior?

Fuzzyface

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, 2 male kittens showed up at our back door in December. Since my wife and I had been talking about getting a couple of kittens anyway, this was a pleasant surprise. We assume they are brothers, but...

One of the boys is a grey/brown tiger-ish looking guy. His name is Tiger.
He is the bold one. He is affectionate. He is outright out of his mind.

The other guy is named Boots. He's grey with some stripes, but with white feet, white chest, and some white on his face.
He is shy...he hasn't really totally warmed up to us yet. He seems to breathe quickly.

They have been to the vet and have gotten the necessary shots - both were previously neutered, so it's thought they were trapped, brought in for the neutering, and then released.

When we first brought them in, Tiger seemed to be Boot's protector (and still is a bit). But I think it's getting to the point where Boots is just afraid of him, to some extent.
Tiger will just pounce on Boots to play...but it's to the point where Boots just wants to chill out.
When I play with them, Tiger would probably run himself to death if I didn't stop. Boots, on the other hand, might go after the toy a bit. But once Tiger takes 5 seconds to catch his breath, Boots takes a back seat and lets Tiger go after the toy.

Tiger will heat his portion of the food in about 1 minute. When he's done, he starts on Boot's food. Boots is a VERY slow eater. It's to the point now where Tiger is obviously bigger and stronger than Boots.

In summary, it seems that Tiger has taken most of the cat traits...while Boots is sort of just an introverted lump. Tiger just dominates - eating, affection, playtime, etc.
Tiger will find something to play with even when nothing is there - he runs, jumps onto his cat contraption - scratches it, turns and twists, then takes off for the next adventure.

I guess my questions are:
Is this normal?
Will Boots ever warm up to us?
Is Boots in any danger from crazy Tiger?

Thanks!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If your guys were trapped, neutered and then released they should have a clipped ear. Absent that my bet would be they were household pets who were abandoned. It is wonderful that you all found one another. Both cats sound perfectly normal to me, just different personalities and energy levels.
As far as building a relationship with boots, I would try to find moments when Tiger is sleeping, or even stick him in a room for a while where you can try to give Boots some one on one play, treats or attention. Yes, I think he will come around but it may take a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fuzzyface

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, both have a notched ear.
Tiger sleep? That's absurd. :flail:

...but I get what your saying. I actually tried that - I was able to trap Tiger in the laundry room while giving Boots some play time.
And of course, Tiger was carrying on, putting his paws under the door, making a fuss...which distracted Boots to the point that he wasn't paying attention to playing. I guess I'll have to bring Tiger upstairs and try again.
Thanks!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t worry too much about them. Just like siblings, one seems to eclipse the other but sometimes over time that can change. How old are these guys?

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess my questions are:
Is this normal?
I can only say we have pretty much the same traits in our two little girls! One has been the shy runt and has never warmed to petting and the other has tuned into a lap cat. Even when they were kittens the outgoing kitten would rough house with the boys till it took some time to discover she was a girl when since we could not handle her. The shy cat I would suspect is the worst hunter of our bunch and she never has weighed as much as the other cats.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, in thinking about your two kittens, they are actually both quite remarkable. For feral kittens to be trusting enough to seek out humans and adapt so well to homelife is amazing. Even quiet Boots

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fuzzyface

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the vet said that they were about 8 months old.

Yes, they are quite remarkable. In fact, they might have helped save our marriage. I told my wife that it was like a Lifetime movie Christmas miracle. lol