2.5 week old kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's mostly kitten proofed. The only thing I'm worried about is them climbing onto the couch and up on the back cushions and falling off the back of the couch to the floor. It's about 3 feet up and we have hard wood floors.

Last edited:

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Next update: My nana, who is a huge animal lover and has always had multiple cats and dogs in the household for as long as I can remember, is considering taking mom. They currently have no cats and one dog, and the dog they have unfortunately is not overly fond of cats, and enjoyed chasing their old cats when they were still alive. But, I have a feeling since mama was a stray she could stand up to the dog. She's also a pretty confident and fearless cat. Any advice on introducing a cat to a dog?

Also, we're still looking for a home for the black and white kitten, Nova. I mentioned this to my nana and I could tell that she was thinking about trying to take the both of them, which I would LOVE because I'm really attached to her and the mom but unfortunately 2 cats is my max. Again, fearful about the dog in this situation with the little kitten, and I'm not sure how mom would react if she felt her kitten was threatened. She's a sweet dog, just likes to chase. Any ideas/ thoughts/ advice?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Next update: My nana, who is a huge animal lover and has always had multiple cats and dogs in the household for as long as I can remember, is considering taking mom. They currently have no cats and one dog, and the dog they have unfortunately is not overly fond of cats, and enjoyed chasing their old cats when they were still alive. But, I have a feeling since mama was a stray she could stand up to the dog. She's also a pretty confident and fearless cat. Any advice on introducing a cat to a dog?

Also, we're still looking for a home for the black and white kitten, Nova. I mentioned this to my nana and I could tell that she was thinking about trying to take the both of them, which I would LOVE because I'm really attached to her and the mom but unfortunately 2 cats is my max. Again, fearful about the dog in this situation with the little kitten, and I'm not sure how mom would react if she felt her kitten was threatened. She's a sweet dog, just likes to chase. Any ideas/ thoughts/ advice?
This is really a dog behavioral issue, not the cat. I don't think I'd put a cat, and especially a kitten, in this situation.

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it's not a cat behavioral issue; I also know a lot of people on this site have dogs as well, and was wondering if anyone has experience introducing animals. I assure you if the mom or kitten were truly distressed we would pursue another option. They also won't be in danger, as the dog would be on a leash until she could be trusted around the cats. I can't think of a more loving owner for the two of them, so I think it is worth a shot.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
willerin willerin

I think it's worth trying too, especially since you're available to take them back - at least temporarily - if it doesn't work.

I would give mom and kitten time to adjust before introducing the dog, and try to train the dog not to chase the cats. The cats will need a safe place to retreat to at all times where the dog cannot get to them.

Perhaps someone else will have tips. I'm not a dog person, but I know that many dogs love resident cats and get along well with them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's great that you're willing to leash train the dog around the cats. I just meant that the cats shouldn't be left to hold their own around the dog.

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut of course not, It will definitely be a process. I just want to make the transition as smooth as possible for the kitties. If I could keep all of them I would...but at this point in my life I think it's a little too early to begin my crazy cat lady days, sadly. Would if I could.

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How should I switch the kittens from wet to dry food? They're having Royal Canin mom and baby cat wet food and I'm switching to the same brand of dry food, which should be coming in the mail this evening. They're 7 weeks tomorrow, can't believe how fast they're growing. :(  

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You don't really switch. The kittens need both wet and dry food in order to flourish, and in fact, wet food is better for them. They need dry kitten chow available 24/7 to munch on between wet food meals. They will quickly learn how to eat it! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So how often should I provide wet food meals?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Provide wet food 4 to 6 times a day, or about every 4-6 hours at this age.

Last edited:

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So yesterday afternoon the mom had diarrhea, and vomited sometime over night. I called the vet and she said to keep an eye on her and maybe separate her from the kittens so they can't nurse, but they hardly nurse anymore anyway. Then this morning she had liquid diarrhea again, so I decided to take her in to the vet but the only appointment time available was tomorrow at 5 p.m. :( We did switch her food brand on late Sunday night, so that could be the cause. Not sure. She didn't have much of an appetite this morning but has had a little dry food. 

The kittens seem okay, no diarrhea or anything and they're all eating okay. I'm slightly concerned that they've been pooping less than normal, but that might just be in my head. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like it may be related to the change in food, though it could be a parasite. I hope it clears up. In general, new foods need to be introduced gradually over a period of a couple of weeks, by mixing small amounts in with the old food at first, then gradually changing the ratio.

Let us know how she is tomorrow.

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she had a well formed poop, maybe still a tad on the loose side but about a million times better than yesterday. I still have the appointment at 5 p.m., which I'll definitely go to if you guys think she needs it but she does despise the car, so if you guys think it was just a shock with he food change then I can cancel it. He kittens are fine, pooping normally. I had to stop separating them from mom because she became very distressed about not seeing them and everyone was crying and I just couldn't don't do it. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
willerin willerin

I do not think she needs to see the vet. It really sounds like it was her system adjusting to the dietary changes. Save the vet trip for her spay appointment. I'm glad she's better!

I agree that mom and kittens should be together! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, I've kept an eye on her this morning and she seems back to normal so I cancelled the appointment.

So I have homes lined up for the all but one of the kittens in a few weeks, and I want to send them off with a little care package. So far I'm thinking a blanket that smells like home, a toy, a bag of dry food to mix in with their new food if their owner has a different kind, and a can or two of wet food. I also have a list of cute little personality traits for each of the kittens. Any other ideas?

Also, when I take the kittens to their new homes in a few weeks unfortunately it will be a 3 hour drive [emoji]128577[/emoji]. Should I just take the kittens and leave mom with the other kittens at my house? I just know they're probably going to cry the whole way which is going to be really sad and hard [emoji]128577[/emoji] Hopefully my boyfriend will be driving so I can comfort them a little bit. Advice?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would definitely send the food they are accustomed to, along with blanket, toys, and baby pictures!

How many kittens are going and how old will they be? How many kittens will be left?

I think it will be worse if you take mom and the others, but mom needs to see you take them. She may still grieve, but there is no reason they need to go on a 3-hour drive.

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: kittens are 13 weeks and I now have just our two. Everything has been going well but this morning we noticed a big hard bump on luna's head. I didn't notice it when I was petting her that morning but it could have been there and I just didn't know it. I'm not sure if it's a bump (she sometimes runs into the table leg) or an injury from the other kitten or a growth or what. Anyway, I called my regular vet and they couldn't get her in until Tuesday so I decided to take her into another vet today.

Basically I'm very unhappy with how it went. First of all the vet's office wasn't that nice and the vet was very brief. She shaved her head and checked to see if there was any fluid in the bump but there wasn't. She also had no temperature so she didn't give antibiotics. Then she said "well hopefully it goes away eventually" and sent us on our way with vitamins...? I was expecting a lab test of some sort at least to see if it was malignant or something? The bump is big and hard and is now bloody after the vet checked it. So I have an appointment at my regular vet on Tuesday to see what they think but I'm a little worried. Any thoughts? [emoji]128577[/emoji]

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No thoughts other than hang in until Tuesday. We always have faith in the medical profession & it's worrying when we don't think we've had good care. At least you know not to return to that particular vet.

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying. I feel so attached to these kittens and it's so hard not knowing what it is. I'm an anxious person (I can admit it) so this is stressing me out but hopefully everything will be fine.

General update since I've been MIA for a while: giving up the other kittens and the mom was so difficult for me. I felt so attached to all of them and would have kept them if I could. 2 kittens went to two of my moms friends, and both are adjusting well. The mom and one kitten went with my grandma, and so far the introduction process with the dog has been going well. My two (Greybie and Luna) get along great and are the best decision I ever made, haha.