2.5 week old kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If mom is in heat, you and she will have to live through it. Do not let her out under any circumstances. It will last about a week. Go ahead and set up her spay appointment. She can be spayed in about 2 weeks.

The kittens will slowly catch on to both food and litter. They will actually do better at 5-6 weeks, and will continue to nurse mom for several more weeks, even after she is spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom seems to have calmed down a little so that's good. I'd never let her out, don't worry. So far 4/5 kittens have used the litterbox which is great. They're so adorable I can hardly handle it!

Pictures between 4 and 5 weeks: Luna, Nova, Greybie, and Rory and Ollie

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thoughts on keeping the litter boxes in their play area tonight? A bit worried about them eating it or something while I'm asleep

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would leave them. It's non-clumping litter, right?

They are using them, so they need them close by.

Do they have kitten chow available too?

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea, it's nonclumping. I think I'm going to start again with the food in the morning, mom has been feeding them all day and only 1 kitten showed interest. On Monday they will be 5 weeks.

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning 3 kittens are some wet food, and 1 drank some water. No luck on the other two yet but they're still only 4 weeks 6 days.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's great! They will all get there real soon! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Adorable! They know how to purr. They will purr more as they get older. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have truly only ever seen 2 kitten poops since having the kittens here. I think mom does a great job taking care of them, but I'm starting to get a little worried. No poop in the litterbox so far (not that I've noticed anyway). Could mom still be stimulating them?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she is. As they all begin to eat solids, their poop becomes more formed, and mom will stop cleaning them up. That's when they will need to use the litter box consistently.

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Primula  Here's another pic haha. He looks like a stuffed animal.

Update: 3 little kitty poops in the litterbox today! So exciting. 4/5 kittens have eaten wet food, but I can't get little Ollie interested in it, even licking it off my finger. Who knows, maybe he just needs a few more days. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ollie will eat wet food when Ollie is ready. You'll see. (Thanks for the latest pic. Adorbs. Can't believe I used that silly word!)

Last edited:

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, all kittens are eating and pooping in the litterbox :) very happy with that progress. But now mom has been very meow-y lately--and I mean very. I'm not sure why, at first I thought she was in heat but I'm starting to think that maybe she's trying to call her kittens out of the pen we have set up. The pen isn't tiny or anything, and they have plenty of room to run and jump and climb but mom just doesn't seem happy with it. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in Chicago so I don't have a lot of space, and my bedroom isn't safe to kitten proof, plus it's very small. So, I'm trying to decide how to use the gate to section off he rest of my apartment.

So far the only idea I have is to cut off the kitchen and the front door, which would leave them with the dining area and living room to play in. I'm just wondering if that's a good idea if I have a sectional couch that they could potentially climb on? So far when I let them out to explore they just go under it, but I could block off under it with something. Is it dangerous to have the couch just tempting them to climb, or at 6 weeks would they be okay if they burrowed into a cushion? Also, I don't want them to scratch up the couch but that's less of an issue. I'm not sure. Any ideas? I thought about sectioning off the couch too but #1 they're starting to try to climb the gate so with a tempting couch right behind it I bet they'd make it over the gate sooner rather than later, and #2 I would probably have to buy another gate to be able to block off the couch and the kitchen, and then mom might be just as unhappy as she is now. Thoughts/advice would be appreciated!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They do need to climb and explore, and it sounds like mom is calling them. It's difficult to contain 6-week-old kittens. That's the age when mine began venturing downstairs. No need to block under the couch as long as there's no recliner portion. Just supervise, and they should be okay in your general living area. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

willerin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. What about when I can't be here? Wednesday and Friday this week they will be alone most of the day :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you feel like your living area is kitten-proofed? If so, they should be okay. Kittens do lots of sleeping, with short bursts of play.