2/3/4? Week old kitten found, suddenly not eating

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way to tell is by weighing him every day. Otherwise you can't tell how much he's getting. He could be suckling for comfort and not actually getting milk, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theperiodicfam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He purrs like a lil motor when he's with her it's adorable

theperiodicfam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like these are all questions I could ask google but it's insanely comforting to have actual people responding to my unfounded concerns lol

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no such thing as "silly" questions on this website.  All members are cat lovers and none of us would not even be here if we didn't care about our fellow members and their questions, concerns and of course we share the joys too!!

theperiodicfam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: 8.4 ounces. Has nubs coming in as teeth, is walking without his belly touching the ground, ears perked up. He's begun to scream though, which he hasn't made more than a peep since we got him. I think he's really hungry but he is all of a sudden finicky with bottle feeding? Idk what's happening :c

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you put him on a nipple of moms that has milk?

Or try KMR in a dish to see if he will lap it?

If he's getting his teeth, he'll soon be able to eat mushy wet food or softened dry food.

But if he's screaming for food, he needs to eat somehow. Little ones also like Gerber turkey or chicken baby food. Easy to lick and digest. Try that too. Now that he has a mom he won't settle for a bottle. Direct him to a better nipple if you can.

theperiodicfam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's doing OK! I think. Maybe. Gained two ounces, which seems like some sort of error, but I don't know. He's apparently 10 oz now, but today he didn't eat much that I saw. will attempt bottle feeding in a few! And update yall on how that goes, he was meowing a lot and trying to nurse unsuccessfully (mom cat just walked off) last time I checked, a few minutes ago.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Two ounces is a good gain. Try to get mom cat to let him nurse. If not, he needs supplementing, or a bottle - whatever works. He's too little to be without either mom or supplementing. He should not be meowing for no good reason. Means he needs something. You don't seem too sure of his care. Is there anything you need help wih? Maybe?

Last edited:

theperiodicfam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure of his care lol, I'm one of those people who ALWAYS worrys I guess s: he ate a little, his stomach doesn't feel full but he cries if I try to force the bottle in his mouth. He's cuddling up with her kitties currently, and I'll be checking on him periodically. He's so cute!! I hope he's okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's adorable! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Is mom letting him nurse now?

Keep up the good job. He sounds like he's doing alright! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

theperiodicfam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so- woke up this morning to Carbon meowing excessively at my closed door with Hydro in tow. I am really unsure why to be honest, my room gets the most traffic in the house, because all of the animals are bonded to me, and we have big dogs, so I figured that would stress her out. Idk where she would want to put him either because she rarely drags him to a logical location, usually leaving him wherever she spots me in order to run over and cuddle. Is she rejecting him???

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cat may be in heat. Do you plan to spay her?

If she's nursing him then she's not rejecting him? But is he hungry?

theperiodicfam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We do plan on spaying her, but a male cat isn't a problem in that regard anymore. She won't nurse ANY of them for more than a few seconds, which makes sense since her kids are now weaned pretty much. What I did just notice is the male of the house acting aggressively towards her kittens, so I'm thinking that's why she wants to move them near me, since I'm known to throw his little a** out if he does something I don't like. She's tried to move the bigger ones but can't pick them up. As of writing this moving them all into my room I got her to lay down long enough for him to nurse for a few minutes! He purrs so loud he's so happy to have a mama.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the male cat is acting aggressively towards the kittens, it's a sign that he needs to be kept away from them totally right now.