2 1/2 week old kitten is smaller than the rest of the litter. Some guidance please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hunter1534

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well idk if it's all in my head or not. He's just been quiet and I don't think he's eaten from his mom today. He's gotten a bit cold since it's been cold today and there's a storm.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK You might want to microwave a sock with rice, until it steams.(like 5 minutes) then wrap in a bath towel, as it will be very hot! place near the kittens so they can warm up. They won't eat if they and their tummies are too cold. Did you try the Karo syrup to try and stimulate his bolod sugar?

Last edited:

hunter1534

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welp, he's gone. I'm so angry right now. He was fine before I gave him the goat milk and now I think it's all my fault. That's the last time I try to do something unless there's something absolutely wrong with them. Ugh. 4 dead ones in 2 litters. Horrible luck

hunter1534

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh it's even worse when you've been bottle feeding it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well idk if it's all in my head or not. He's just been quiet and I don't think he's eaten from his mom today. He's gotten a bit cold since it's been cold today and there's a storm.
Its necessary to monitor them weak much, both optically to be sure they are together with mom being taken care for and are warm, and weighting, every 12 hours as long they arent stabilized.

If necessary, raise the room temp somewhat, or have additional  warming pad.   If necessary carry them at your chest as Cangaroo carrying.

If there is the slightest suspiction mom isnt taking care off, you as caretaker must step in - if you want to fight on and save them - and its apparent you do want to save them weaks too...

And yet, they may go even with the best of cares, if such is their fate.

We had  once a tragical case, when a record small premature was miracously saved, by heroic fight by the caretaker and ours advices... The kitten turned around, began to grow, play, everythin - but - oh horror - died in an accident when playing.  Thus it died not because it was premature and weak, but because it was now a healthy big boy... 

Shikata ga nai, as the Japanese says.
Welp, he's gone. I'm so angry right now. He was fine before I gave him the goat milk and now I think it's all my fault. That's the last time I try to do something unless there's something absolutely wrong with them. Ugh. 4 dead ones in 2 litters. Horrible luck
Its in any case not the goat milks fault.    You felt instinctively something was amiss, because you asked for advices here.   It could be almost anything. Including something genetic.

But for example, its very easy to feed them wrongly. A drop into lungs - gives immediately a very high risk for pneumonia...  And its the end.   Pneumonia is the most common end for healthy born kittens whom dies.   Pneumonia is also rather common for the supplement feed newborns, often by this extra risk, yes.   But when they are weak and begin to go downhill, there is not much choice.  Its just to let "nature take its course"  in practice letting them go= die unassisted, or try to save them.  Very often succeeding.

Im deeply sorry for that kitten whom now  leaved us.

RIP  little one!

hunter1534

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So then I killed him... I'm never gonna go back to sleep.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So then I killed him... I'm never gonna go back to sleep.
No no, pardon me if I gave such an impression.  Possibly I wanted to say, being a first rate caretaker takes experience, its not just to have a big heart.

but so its with everything...   The difference, some tries to learn, and become more skilled for the next time, while some dont care.

THAT is the difference, and I trust you are one of these whom will be better prepared for next time.

I wish you all good luck!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
@Hunter1534 you did everything you could for this little guy.  No-one can know that these things are going to happen - their little lives are so fragile.  Please, please do not beat yourself up. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all feel guilty when we lose a kitten, let alone four. But sometimes there is nothing we can do - they are too small, too weak or there is something genetically wrong. In Nature the vast majority of kittens die, or otherwise the world would be over-run with cats. You did everything you could, and yes, you may not be as experienced as some people, but it happens to everyone sometimes and you never get used to it. We all ask ourselves 'what if...?' Please do not blame yourself - you have learnt a lot, you will better prepared if another kitten comes into your life, and these kittens knew human care and love before they died. I shall now close this thread out of respect for the kittens and for you. Most of us on the mod team have been through this kind of experience, and we offer you our sympathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.