1day to maybe 1 week kittens not suckling.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By cutting back on the powder, your vet may have meant making the milk mixture a little more dilute.  She needs more liquid if she is having diarrhea, and we frequently do this with older kittens.  In nature, mother's milk changes with the kittens' needs, so it doesn't have to be as concentrated as it does for a newborn.  Another thing I have found helpful is adding a little goat's milk to the formula mixture.  You can get goat's milk in a quart at most supermarkets either in the dairy section or the health food section if it has one.  You can also find it in cans in the condensed milk section, usually on the baking aisle.  The condensed is twice normal concentration so you should dilute it down by half.  Your kitten's diarrhea may have nothing to do with the formula, but if it does, goat's milk seems to help them firm up.

As for the nipple on the bottle, usually bottles come with some extra nipples.  I have had the best luck using a new single-edge razor (carpenter's razor) and cutting a tiny "X" in the tip of the nipple.  It should be big enough so that when you squeeze the bottle, one drop at a time comes out easily but it doesn't squirt all over.  If you put the mixed formula through a fine strainer, mashing it with a spoon, you will avoid little chunks that clog the nipple.  I strain it into a small jelly jar before using a tiny funnel to put it in the bottle.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet called back and she thinks the same so well try it out with the dewormer. @Red Top Rescue now that you say that it makes sense, I didn't even think about it changing like it does for infants. As for the bottle situation we had originally,cut x's but it was super hard to even get a drop and that was using my fingers. I,tried having her try it and she would get mad and give up. I even tried when I knew she'd be hungry at her 6 am feed and she still didn't take to it. So when I took her to the vet I had the vet try and that's when we cut the tip off and it seemed to work well. I have switched back to the syringe but she's got some power sucking and drank about 1.25 ml in two seconds. I so have one nipple that isn't cut off but has the x that I may try with her. I Know she has the strength from seeing her suck down the syringe (I didn't even push at all) so she should be able to manage it.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
About Goat's Milk:

Goats milk is a good source of protein, contains 13% more calcium, 25% more vitamin B6, 47% more vitamin A, and 134% more potassium than regular cow's milk. The fat globules are smaller, which aids in digestion. In a recent study of infants allergic to cow’s milk found that 93% of them were able to drink goat’s milk with absolutely no allergic reaction!  The ease of digestibility is also due to the high amount of medium-chain fatty acids (has 35% compared to cow’s 17%). Goat’s milk also contains less lactose (milk sugars) than cow’s milk, which is great because it helps those who suffer from lactose intolerance. Goat’s milk is slightly alkaline, unlike cow’s milk which is slightly acidic.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can adjust the "X" cut, making the arms of it longer until it actually kind of opens in 4 "leaves" when the kitten sucks and then closes again when there is no suction.  When it's just right, she should be able to suck it down almost as fast as she sucks it out of the syringe.  When raising newborns, that's when I switch from syringe to bottle, when they start sucking it out of the syringe.

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ill try that but first have to get her better. I called yet another vet because it just wasn't sitting well with me and I was googling again, and they prescribed amoxicillin. Which turns out was a good thing I did call because she had a bloody stool. So I'm so glad I decided to call another one because she's on an antibiotic and will be getting dewormed. I am so hoping and praying we can get her turned around because she's become lathargic and not really eating all within a half hour. I'm probably turning into that pet owner all the vets hate but after losing the white one I refuse to lose this one!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lethargic? That's not good. [emoji]128528[/emoji]

Have you started the antibiotic yet?

Last edited:

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I'm on my way to get it now. I had to wait for daycare kids to get picked up before I could leave and I'm starting to think it's too late. Ugh. I could just cry right about now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be too late. You can use the clavamox. It is actually broader spectrum than the amoxicillin.

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I,got the amox down her and some more milk. But prior to that she threw up. I feel so horrible at the moment. I'm hoping and praying she makes it through the night and the antibiotics kick in, and she makes it. Between my son and I we've had many tears over losing the white one, and now it looks like we'll lose her too. Everything I read prior to joining this forum said hand fed newborn kittens rarely make it and I was originally prepared. But after seeing Gizmo do so awesome I quit worrying she wouldn't make it, and now it super sucks. Ill keep you guys updated, and thank you for all the help. Because of this forum I went with my gut and called yet another vet that hopefully will save her.

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did not make it:( I don't understand how it all came on so fast. Thank you for all the great advice. We are now debating in adopting a kitten/cat because our son is really upset. He really loved those cats as much as I did

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I think the green poop was a sign of trouble from the start. It's so hard to know what the issues are with orphan kittens.

Getting a healthy kitten from a rescue organization or shelter would be wonderful for your son. There are so many kittens out there who need good homes like you can provide. Adopting a bonded pair of siblings would be good for the kittens too!

You really went above and beyond. God bless, and let us know what you decide. RIP little Gizmo! [emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]

Last edited:

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was concerned too from the start because her poo was green right out the gate. But evil vet (yes that's what I'm terming her for the moment and maybe ever because I refuse to ever go back there) said that the color was probably due to the milk replacer.Looking back now I wish I would have gone to a different vet from the beginning because both might have made it. It was a very sad, and infuriating lesson to learn but if we're ever in this position in the future I will know better. But we've made the decision to get a kitten because Lane wants one so bad, and to be completely honest so do I.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I have to agree. A vet who is not concerned about the green poop is not very experienced in kitten care. Many of us on here have years of experience, and we try to share that knowledge first-hand.

We know that many orphan kittens DO make it, even with problems, if they are addressed asap. We know that kittens on KMR do NOT have green poop. It's not normal. Kittens on KMR have brown poop. So, green poop, yellow poop, white poop, are all signs of problems that need addressing.

I was not aware that Gizmo was having green poop until you mentioned it after the white kitten passed. Otherwise, I would have said to get help sooner for Gizmo.

However, we'll never know who had what and who passed what on. And Lord knows what the kittens had when they came to you.

I do know that you gave excellent care. You loved them, cleaned them, fed them, and gave them vet care, and that is all you could do. It's hard watching a tiny life pass, and wondering about all the what-if's. But they were loved, and did not die alone, or in vain.

They are gone now, and all that is left is to go to a rescue and adopt a new kitten or kittens who desperately need a good home, which you can provide. It will do your heart good.

Godspeed to you in this endeavor, and when you do, we'll be right here waiting for you! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss. Any future kitties would be lucky to have you. You might want to consider getting a pair so they can keep each other entertained. You'll know the right cat when you see it.

Best of luck to your whole family.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry -- that's heartbreaking.  It was nothing you did or didn't do.  I think they were incubating something already when you got them.  You may want to wait a little bit before bringing other kittens into the house uin case they had something contagious.  Wash everything with a dilute bleach solution or throw out anything you can't use bleach on.  You would hate for new babies to come down with something.  It would be best if you could adopt kittens who already had at least one FVRCP vaccination.

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want to, you can start a new thread in our forum called Crossing the Bridge, which is where people can share about cats and kittens that have recently passed Over the Rainbow Bridge, as we call it.  You can post pictures and celebrate their short little lives.  Your son might like that too.