1day to maybe 1 week kittens not suckling.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yay, Gizmo! It does sound like she is nice and healthy. I'm so glad her eyes are open, she's walking well, and drinking a healthy amount from a bottle.

How much does she weigh? Has she been gaining steadily?

I'm assuming you were given the liquid (suspension) clavamox for the white baby. You can refrigerate the leftovers. It usually says discard in 10 days, but it will keep longer, in case Gizmo should need it in the coming days.

We'd love to see a new picture of Gizmo when you get a chance! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I can tell she is gaining but its so hard to get a weight on her because she won't sit still. The screen bounces between 6.3- 6.7 depending on what body parts I manage to keep on the scale. I tried uploading a picture from mobile but for some reason it isn't working so I'll try from a computer later. Anyone else have that problem?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try using a plastic bowl. Weigh the bowl first so you know how much to subtract. Put her in the bowl. This helps sometimes!

How much is Gizmo eating? She needs at least 56 mLs each 24 hours. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats a great idea! I never even thought to use a bowl. And I make 4 oz and she eats pretty much the whole thing throughout the day, she falls short by 3-4 ml

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay! I rounded her weight up to 7 ounces when I did my math, so she's probably getting just the right amount for now. It needs to increase as she grows, of course. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm thinking in the next day or two I'll bump her feedings up again. Using the bowl trick should help in getting an accurate weight on her too. That way i known shes meeting her goal. Little stinker doesn't even sit still to feed.

Last edited:

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here's the little fluff ball!! I got a more accurate weight and she is 6.35 oz, and she's eating well but she's started to have diarrhea which is throwing me into panic mode. It's not completely liquid there's some substance to it, slightly like toothpaste, and then another time it was foamy and straight liquid. I plan on calling the vet tomorrow and seeing what she says and if I should use the same antibiotic we had for the white one or if she needs something different. She is still eating around 8-10 ml and is acting normal besides the diarrhea. Also, is A & D ointment is safe for her bum? There is conflicting information on the internet. One site said it was okay,and another said it was not to be used.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can use A&D on her bottom because she can't lick it off. Also, the clavamox you have should be fine to use for the diarrhea. I've almost been expecting her to get diarrhea, and am glad you have the antibiotic left over to use.

She's got really interesting colors! What a cutie! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was waiting for it too because I figured if one had it so would the other. But it was still the green and somewhat formed at times so it threw me for a loop. I'm hoping I caught it soon enough that I can get on top of it before she gets sick, or sicker. I was doing some reading and it sounds like the white kitten had fading kitten syndrome and there's so many possibilities/causes that I really just have to know I did everything I could. It kinda helped me to not feel so guilty about her.

Last edited:

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Called and talked to vet and they said it sounds like a nutritional issue so I need to cut back on the powder by a quarter tablespoon and pedialyte and see if that helps. Also I'll be picking up some dewormer. This doesn't seem right to me so I'm waiting to hear back from another vet for a seond opinion.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. It does not seem right to me either. I would never recommend cutting back on the formula. In fact, you want to keep feeding as much as possible. Pedialyte is always helpful.

Diarrhea is never normal in a kitten this young. I'm still thinking she needs the clavamox. [emoji]128528[/emoji]

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she said foamy poo sounds like a nutritional issue like she's to gassy and cutting back on the fat should help, or that it could be worms. I'm hoping I get a call back soon from the other vet. If they say the same then I'll do as suggested. I don't want to step on toes because I don't have any schooling in animal care but from the simple research I did everything was pointing to an infection.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Foamy poo may be from eating too fast or not digesting well. But in my mind it would not call for cutting back on the food. The kitten cannot thrive without the proper amount of food.

Is she having diarrhea still, or just foamy poop? What color is the poop?

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning she had a normal movement, it was like toothpaste. Then it turned foamy again, and was basically liquid. Its a green color but since I've had her, her poop hasn't been a different color. I wonder if I should switch her back to the syringe for feedings because we had to cut the nipple tip off for her to even use the bottle.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Green poop is usually indicative of too much bile from the liver, or rapid transit through the system. It can also indicate bacterial infection.

Did the poop get foamy before or after you put her on the bottle?

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After. We put her on the bottle Wednesday,after the vet and she started having the foamy poo, diarrhea yesterday.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See what happens when you go back to the syringe. Neither the diarrhea nor the color is normal. I hope she gets treatment soon!

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will do, I'll update once I hear back from the vet

Last edited: