14 month old cat still hiding from me and can't touch her after 7 weeks. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I normally have lots of pictures of a pet by now but every time l try she runs, tried my camera phone and my cannon, l think she is expecting water to squirt out at her. If you see  any pictures of British short hair in the web she is white with a black tip on each hair so it gives her fur the color of pale grey and has round large green eye

Jilly

dream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can't wait to see pics of her! She's lucky to have such a patient mama! You're doing great with her :)

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, you know even though l haven't touched her she now gives me such a lot of love by the way she runs up to me and sits near me and talks to me. She is going to be neutered in two weeks (that's if l can get her into the carrier )  so that will calm her down a bit.

Jill

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fantastic news about Cats Protection League coming to box her for you. It sounds like you're doing really well with her now, and are really bonding with her :clap:

Just a couple of thoughts about spaying: firstly, talk to the vet in advance and explain the difficulties you have with handling Daisy. They might be able to use disolvable stitches or maybe make a home visit for the follow up so you don't have to go through the boxing/transport problems twice.

Also, start looking at options for the e - collar/cone that's usually used after surgery. Cats can find the plastic cones traumatic, and there are several options available these days - neck brace style versions, padded cones, even post surgery 'jackets' that cover the wound but allow greater freedom of movement. Yes, they cost a bit more but they're really worth it imo. My vets have a range of options in stock, and you just request the type you want when checking in on the day of the op. Even if your vet's don't have a range if options, it's easy enough to find them online. Just talk to your vet's first about which options are appropriate for post spay. The Cats Protection League may also be able to offer you some guidance on which options Daisy is likely to tolerate best (some cats hate the jackets, and others act as though they've not got anything on).

Sorry if this is information overload. Really hope all goes well with the spay.

Last edited:

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the information. I did try to speak to the vet  but the vet nurse said she would get in touch with him it was urgent. But l forgot about the cone as l used that with a calm cat once and she hated it. I will as k her  and about home visit when l phone her. Haven't heard any more from the cats protection so now l now the week she will be spayed l will get in touch. The dissolving stitches would be good idea, only thing when my  Persian had them she was pulling them out all the time, vet said as long as she keeps the middle one in she would be OK.

Thanks again for waking my brain up ,it needed it.

Jill

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To be honest, it only occurred to me because I recently took Asha to get spayed (except that when they shaved her they found a spay scar :rolleyes: ). Really hope all goes well with Daisy :vibes:

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have just rang the vets that l want to have Daisy spayed at. I asked if they could send me a sedative and l would pay with my debit card. I was left waiting for ages twice.

The last time l got a nurse and she was great.But you can't say l would rather have the lady that l spoke to last time. After the first wait they said the vet would not let me have a sedative but would send me something that would calm her down so someone can catch her to go in the carrier there to be taken four days before she goes in. I can't tell you the name till l get them.

I am hoping l can get her in the Carrier as she hasn't met anyone but me, people come round but from the time my buzzer goes she has gone and she only knows me.I have a remote lock and let them in by a phone because l have to hear it anywhere in  the apartment its a bit louder than others.

Am still waiting to hear from the Cats Protection as was hoping to have someone to help me.She has started her third heat so if everything goes right she will be having it done the end of next week or beginning of the next week..

Jilly.

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well l may also get some sleep, she is on her third heat and getting louder worse at night.

She is letting me stroke her with a feather stick but doesn't like my hands. Have bought some mens rigger gloves which stink of leather and she loves them. I am going to start putting tuna in her carrier.. Hope the calmer tablets come early next week then l can book her in for the following week.

Manage to take some pictures but had to take them quite a way from her, if there ok will post them later,

Jilly

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well l have booked Daisy in to be neutered Wednesday the 10Th but as they wanted her in at 8.30 in the morning she will have to go in the day before as l have a carer at nine to help me get up. So it looks like l will be on my own trying to battle with getting her in the carrier. It makes it worse that my home is open plan so she can get any where. If she go's under anywhere l can't get down to get hold of her. I am dreading it .

Jill

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What's your bathroom like? (I'm saying bathroom because it's probably got the least amount of things to get under/behind.) If you, maybe with some help, can get every nook and cranny blocked off then that's probably the easiest place to catch her in. Start feeding only in the bathroom now so she won't get suspicious on the day. If theres space you can even keep her carrier in there from now too. When you need to box her, take her food in there as usual then shut the door with you both in there. The food could be her absolute favourite treat instead of cat food - just to make her less cautious about the door closing. Whilst she's otherwise engaged, grab her and put her in the carrier. That method should at least prevent her getting in somewhere that you can't reach.

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well what a difference a day makes, Daisy  has had a rough week First been caught to get her in a Carrier, took two people and one had a deep cut thumb then getting stuck in my electric bed when she wasn't hiding somewhere else. Then getting same couple to catch her to get her collar of which took a bit of time.

But the next day she stayed in the room with me in her strawberry bed she hadn't gone in before. The postman, hairdresser and a delivery man all came in the room and all looked in the bed and talked to her. Were was the cat that bolted if anyone looked at her.Then she started rolling over and having her tummy tickled with the feather stick.

Then in the evening came and she was still with me bedtime l expected her to come into my bedroom and hide in the corner as she had been doing, she came in looked at me then went back out again. This morning while i am typing this she is still in the room with me.

I really thought adter the past week that she had got to en of her getting any more confident. So anyone else in the same position l was never give up they can change over night.

Jilly

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So pleased to hear she's doing so well :clap: :D I told you the stress of spaying would only be a temporary setback. I hope she continues to grow in confidence. You've done amazingly with her already. She's lucky to have you :)

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am hoping one of you have a answer for me. Daisy is getting along but for two things. First is picking her up which is not to urgent but the next is, as you most know l can only walk a few steps and when l try to walk Daisy shoots out in front of me then shoots into the bedroom which was her hiding place. On Sunday she did it and l went flying and have cracked a bone in my hip. Usually l say when she does it or before l get up, that l am going to so and so and make it a light hearted remark.. I am just hoping there is something you can do as l don't want to shout at her but also don't want any more bones damaged,

Jilly

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how you teach the cat to stop doing that.  I have learned to stop moving and let the cats shoot ahead of me but sometimes they just go a step to make sure I'm coming.

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They must be alike as Daisy looks round to see if l am coming, l usually tell her she had better go as l will be here ages lol

Jilly

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone.

Today something wonderful happened, Have had Daisy 5 months and today she has let me stroke her with my hand FOR THE FIRST TIME

Some quick info she had not being socialized at all, born and kept in a cattery, paid a lot for her. Got no help from breeder But you ladies from the cat site helped me with every problem. I had. I have worked with Daisy hours a day and have thought at times nothing would work but it has.

Just got picking her up and her sitting on my knee left to learn.

When she let me stroke her today. She couldn't get enough, she is sitting on the window sill waiting for me to finish this .She marked my hand with the side of her face so many times, got so excited she gave me some nibbles as well.

Anyone who has got the same problem send me a email and l with tell you all the things l have done. I just read the first page of the journal l have kept and you would think it was a different cat.

Thanks to everyone

Jilly

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: :party2: :party4: :woohoo: :banana2: :jive: :hyper: :woo: :banana1:

That's fantastic news :D So glad all your hard work and patience is finally paying off. I knew you'd get there in the end with her :hugs: :rub:

Last edited:

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, now she can't get enough stroking but she had started biting a little and has got excited so l set her up playing.

The title for this thread is wrong as got my adding up wrong , she was 9 months old when l got her, and  its  took 3 1/2 months to get her from hiding to now, thought it would be at least a year.

I got to stroking her by taping to feather wands together and using that and she loved it, my idea was to lower my hand down the stick but she started running of so just left it to her to tell me when it was the right time.

Jilly