13 week old kitten refuses to be touched

wsxdrfvgy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone...

The kittens in the cat family I'm fostering are 13 weeks old now. Still no takers, but only one has a personality I'm genuinely worried about when it comes to trying to place her.

She refuses to be touched. Even if she is sleeping or eating and I try to pet her, she will run away. She runs away every time without fail.

I am not sure what happened. She's never had anything bad happen to her and she used to be so cuddly and sweet when she was 6 weeks, then it started going down hill with her (they were all born in my house and handled from birth). All of her siblings love being touched and are very friendly. Her mom is also very friendly. Everybody is still together. I keep hoping her mother will magically cure her but hasn't so far.

She is confident enough to be around people, even sometimes sneak attack legs, but just no one can touch her. Ever.

Is there anything I can do? Will it make it worse if I force her? Is it just her personality?

I really don't see how anyone will want her as she is. Most people like being able to pet their cats. :\

physicsgal981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she ever try to initiate contact with you? I have a young male foster, a bit older than your female who will run from me if he is walked up to while he is on the floor but if he is in the cat tree I can touch him and he will come get attention from me when I am sitting. I would try lowering yourself to her level. It is possible someone accidentially step on her and to a little kitten us humans are big and scary! Try being on her level and play with her (fishing pole type toys) and offer her some treats. After a few days of this try touching her very softly for a short period of time when offering treats.
Hopefully this is something that she will get over soon! Good luck.

cookimonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 2 months old, and se loves to be patted and will occasionally fall asleep in your lap. However (bum bum bum!) if she is in on the hardwood flooring of the living room, she will run like you are satan. It may be because you're moving to quickly to pet them, or you're too noisy. My cat had big ol' goblin ears, and (gettin sciency) sound travels faster through wood than carpet, so it's louder. Try slowly approaching with a treat in your hand. Let him come to you. Do this for a couple days, and slowly begin to pet them. Alternatively, approach quietly (again, with treats) in a soft environment. Sorry if neither work, he may just have sensitive skin. Good luck! [emoji]128516[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wsxdrfvgy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses.

She never initiates contact with me, she will hang around her siblings and her mother, but only comes to me if I'm feeding them. She doesn't mind walking around me while she's doing her own thing though. But even then I still can't pet her. I usually try petting her when I'm crouched down or she's higher up than me and she still won't accept that. She will play with me quite happily but the game is over if I touch her. Maybe I'll try bribing her with treats again.

It just seems so weird to me she went from a cuddly lap cat to this.

I should add an odd quirk she has.. she'll  let me pet her with my feet when she's in the mood, but not my hands? :S

Last edited: