Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

eshans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope the addition of pumpkin helps!!!
Thanks.  I also thought of trying Prednisolone again as the Budesonide seems to not be doing much. Any thoughts on that?

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 19 almost 20 year old get 1 ml of pred every day and it has made a huge huge difference as far as his bm's.  No more stinky puddles.  For him, we did try the pumpkin and miralax.  I know,  but miralax works both ways for constipation and diarrhea, and it wasn't until they prescribed the pred that things changed up for him.

eshans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My 19 almost 20 year old get 1 ml of pred every day and it has made a huge huge difference as far as his bm's.  No more stinky puddles.  For him, we did try the pumpkin and miralax.  I know,  but miralax works both ways for constipation and diarrhea, and it wasn't until they prescribed the pred that things changed up for him.
Thanks, I might just try it again.  My patience today wore pretty thin.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

Thanks.  I also thought of trying Prednisolone again as the Budesonide seems to not be doing much. Any thoughts on that?
I had two IBD kitties.  One did better on prednisolone, the other did better on budesonide.  Pumpkin did help Jake's diarrhea symptoms but then after awhile he wouldn't eat anything with pumpkin in it.  It can be kind of trial and error--and very frustrating.  

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Someone mentioned pred.  My cat got a shot that was supposed to last six months.  It works very well the first time but not so much the second shot.  They can't do more than 2 shots & then went to liquid meds which did not work at all.  Pred is the standard here for treating IBD and will help with the inflammation.hopefully.

eshans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Someone mentioned pred.  My cat got a shot that was supposed to last six months.  It works very well the first time but not so much the second shot.  They can't do more than 2 shots & then went to liquid meds which did not work at all.  Pred is the standard here for treating IBD and will help with the inflammation.hopefully.
Yea I was thinking of upping the dose to 1ml a day if I do get it again. I have to control this somehow.

edit - I'm actually getting it delivered tonight. Still administering the S. Boullardi as well.

Last edited:

eshans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yea I was thinking of upping the dose to 1ml a day if I do get it again. I have to control this somehow.

edit - I'm actually getting it delivered tonight. Still administering the S. Boullardi as well.
Woke up to a bunch of accidents everywhere :(.  I appreciate all the suggestions and am trying things one by one.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We never did do the shots.  Did the liquid right of the bat.  So sorry to hear about the accidents.  Been there and done that.  And I have carpet.  Ooofda!

eshans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We never did do the shots.  Did the liquid right of the bat.  So sorry to hear about the accidents.  Been there and done that.  And I have carpet.  Ooofda!
Thanks, Yea, at least I have hardwood floors if there's any consolation at all here!

eshans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here have experience with Abady's food? They sell just basically the meat (canned) with no additives and my pet store sells it ( they have a duck brand - figured I'd maybe try that when I get back). Things have been pretty terrible. I'm planning on a bland diet, just figured that might be considered as one but very little reviews are available online so i don't know.

Last edited:

eshans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 Hi all, for anyone on this thread who wanted to stay updated, I'm going to try giving her a bit of baby food tonight or tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Still fighting to get her runny stools and sometimes wet gas under control. She is otherwise quite playful and energetic. There just has to be a way to fix this!

pawpawkuma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Eric,

How are things going with your girl ? How has she been since you tried the baby food ?

eshans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Thanks for asking. She is actually doing better at the moment - I started it last Friday and there hasn't been as much cleanup (messy incident last night near her box but overall definitely improved) So it has to be something in the canned food that her tummy really does not like. I've been giving her S.Boullardi with the food, as well as Pred every other day. I plan on switching to a diet like Stella And Chewys as it's mostly meat with very little additives. I'm hoping she keeps up this trend! 
 I figured I try to get her gut calmer and then very slowly make the change. At least I know the baby food can be a fallback if stuff goes haywire again.

Last edited:

pawpawkuma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

How have things been with your girl??

Has the S Boullardi made any difference? What food is she on now, have you tried any raw yet?

-Bailey

eshans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Bailey,

Thanks for asking/following up. 

She has been a lot better - the past month she's been on baby food plus the S.Boullardi and other supplements to balance the meals. I will make the transition to raw (probably Stella and Chewy's) over the course of the next week, and mega slowly but it seems the culprit this whole time might have been peas (the common ingredient in all of her previous food) or maybe even another additive, hard to say. But I'm hoping this is the beginning of a new phase! 

And I read that yours is much better too, that's brilliant to hear!

pawpawkuma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a good sign! :) I wonder if she is intollerant to some sort of stabilizer/thickener or other additive in cat food.. I know someone in my thread mentioned a cat who couldn't handle carrageenan which is in a lot of foods. But if you've identified peas in a lot of the foods you tried before then that's something to avoid at least.

Have you ever tried her on just plain boiled chicken ? That was the only thing that seemed to firm things up when mine was poorly..but yes he is indeed much better now.. turns out he was infected with tritrichomonas and giardia when I got him, grr.. poor thing. But I'm so happy to have resolved it, and I really hope you find the same relief soon.

Good luck with the raw diet - do let us know how it goes. fingers crossed :)

- Bailey

eshans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea, it's really tough to say. I'm hoping hoping that when she goes to a more raw diet that it doesn't come back.

I haven't tried her on boiled chicken, but definitely not opposed to it. For now, she's doing much better on the Turkey Beech Nut Stage 1 food, and adding taurine, eggshell powder, probiotics, etc. I plan to keep baby food around as it seems that it calms their stomachs so a supply to have on hand is in order for me! :). I'm buying Stella and Chewy's Turkey brand this weekend and If it all works, the below emoticon will be me. hahah

Last edited:

eshans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I wanted to first thank everyone who helped me get Isabella's IBD under control. She was doing great for months on the baby food diet, gained weight, and looked great! However back in the end of July, she either got FIP or a brain tumor that had progressed quickly. I won't go into everything, but basically we thought it was initially Feline Orofacial Pain Syndrome, because she started pawing her pawing her face after eating - however the doctors said in the end, it was likely not. After almost a week in the hospital and then almost a week in "cat hospice" care with me she crossed the rainbow bridge on August 6th. She let us know it was time. Her motor skills were fading, and she was very uncomfortable - it was not a way to live. . I miss her terribly and she was my best friend. 

Again, thank you for all the support you've given me. One day down the road, I will be ready for another one. Rest in peace little Iz.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.