11 lbs is overweight?

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wondered if Sunday is a bit overweight but I think her fur weighs about two pounds on its own!!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cats are compleet opposites, Duke is 25 lbs and Sibohan is 13 lbs. Duke is quite large boned and even if he did loose weight I would expect him to be a healthy weight for his size at about 15-17 lbs. Sibohan as of right now seems to be about her ideal weight. She is muscular, you can slightly feel her ribs when looking for them but you can't see her ribs. It realy depends on the structure of the cat what weight is appropriate. Your vet is probably the best judge for this, as he or she has seen millions of cats of various bone structures throughout their lives. Just remember none of us want to think out "kids" are overweight, but when we do come to the realization they are normally already a little too pudgy, it's better to nip it in the bud befor they have to loose to be healthy.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard people say that they feed the skinny one/kitten by leaving the food in a place that only they could get to. They let the little cat know where the food was, and if he was hungry, he could shimmy in and eat it (like a big box with a cut out too small for the older cat, or between the fridge and wall, etc)

e-note

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats, one cat, Gracie is making me concerned about her weight. She is 8 months old and was fairly normal sized when we got her. We have since changed her diet (the proper way, not just cold-turkey cut off her old food and gave her new food...we did the mixing thing). I wouldn't say she is fat, b/c her head and front half of her body a fairly slender. It's just that she holds all her weight around her hind legs. Should I cut back on her food intake? Or maybe switch her back to the food she was on when we got her? She was eating Science Diet for kittens, now she's on IAMS for kittens.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We just had Bijou to the vet this afternoon and he weighed in at 16.5 lbs. Gotta cut out that dry food for sure now.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by E-Note

I have 2 cats, one cat, Gracie is making me concerned about her weight. She is 8 months old and was fairly normal sized when we got her. We have since changed her diet (the proper way, not just cold-turkey cut off her old food and gave her new food...we did the mixing thing). I wouldn't say she is fat, b/c her head and front half of her body a fairly slender. It's just that she holds all her weight around her hind legs. Should I cut back on her food intake? Or maybe switch her back to the food she was on when we got her? She was eating Science Diet for kittens, now she's on IAMS for kittens.
How much does she weigh? My 8 month old kittens are 5-6 pounds right now and still have quite a bit of growing to do. The 5 pound girl is 7.5 months old and has a very lean frame. The 6 pound girl is 8 months old and very muscular. These weights are just guestimates because my people scale is kind of broke and if I weight myself and then pick them up with me on the scale it thinks all 3 of my cats are the same weight (ugh).

I haven't heard of a cat carrying weight in the hind legs, but the tummy would mean worms... I haven't heard of this one though.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a friend whose cat weighed over 20lbs, but wasn't fat. He was a large, muscular cat. I agree with everyone else about the size of the cat's frame, and the rib thing.

Also, I think a lot of people think a few pounds overweight isn't such a big deal, but on a cat, that is a lot.