1 yr old in first labor!! Pls stand by.. I'm terrified!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:hugs:   You are doing a great job. The most important thing is that they all get enough to eat and are steadily gaining weight. Mama is there to groom them, keep them warm and to help them potty. That's very important. 
@catwoman707
 gave some great advice about rotating the litter for feedings but it sounds like you were already doing that so it really sounds like you and mama cat have this under control. Make sure mama cat has plenty of food to eat and fresh water. She's going to need all the calories she can get with a litter that size!! She's lucky to have you to help her through this. :clap:

Have I mentioned how CUTE they are?  :lol3:
Thank you so much!! We've always free fed two different kinds of dry food and give canned for breakfast and dinner with healthy treats in between. We have 3 filtered water fountains for them and use bottled drinking water in them. Then every few days we'll treat them with their broth compliment pouches but they get $$$ so it's only once, twice a week. Oh and we still give them baby formula as a treat too. She's getting enough I believe! Lol... Aren't they all just precious! Daddy's a tailess Manx mix that has all Manx markings and traits and we got a little tailess girl that looks just like daddy and granddaddy!! Then two grey ones that look just like grandma (mommy would look just like grandma but she is albino [emoji]128571[/emoji])

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Momma cat is gorgeous! And look at all those little gray babies, aaaaawww! She's gonna be busy, busy, busy!

And hey! It's too early to worry about spaying mom yet, you're fine. Like Kat0121 said, kittens are number one right now, and you're doing great with them! :) Don't feel that we are criticizing or berating you -- I know what's it's like to feel that way, we just want to make sure you make whatever decision you make with all the info you need (unlike, for example, me!).

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would recommend getting the females spayed as well; it's not just about the kittens. I had two cats throughout high school, Ember and Sweetie, that we kept completely indoors and never got spayed, and they never had kittens. When I moved out, I took them both to get spayed. During Sweetie's spay, they discovered she had mammary cancer, which is a very aggressive cancer in cats. Ember was diagnosed with it as well a year later, and I lost Sweetie within two years, Ember in one year, even after spending thousands of dollars on surgeries and chemotherapy. We got very early detection with Sweetie (there were no lumps visible on the outside), but it still wasn't enough to extend her life even two years.

The biggest risk factor for mammary cancer is sex hormones from female cats not being spayed, and being spayed before the first year drastically reduces the chances of it developing (85% according to a study), but spaying at any point in general still helps. My kitties' oncologist had a little hope that being spayed even after the cancer developed might have slowed it down a little because they weren't getting exposure to the sex hormones anymore. I had no idea the negative effects that not spaying could cause, nor did my family, so I try to tell everyone about Ember and Sweetie as much as I can. There's other health risks too, but cancer is my big fear, especially after my experiences.

Anyway, sorry for being so grim! Gimme some kitty pictures, LOL!
Oh no!! I'm so, so sorry for your loss!! My animals (babies) are my whole world! I love them SO much sometimes I think I wish I didn't have pets because I feel I'll pass right along with them when the day comes! I honestly feel I can't live without them [emoji]128546[/emoji] That may sound crazy to some but I also know that at least some, if not all here on this site can totally relate to the feelings! Now I'm worried sick about our Molly girl!!!!! She'll be 8 June, 6 and has had many heat cycles. Maybe 20 even [emoji]128557[/emoji] Now she's putting on mass amounts of stomach fat that hangs down and I'm thinking "Is it breast cancer?" Which the C word is the devil himself to me! Took my beloved brother at 34 years old, 21 years ago and my very dear to my soul grandma (breast cancer) One of the main reasons I didn't want to spay our females is because I can't handle them being in pain after a major surgery like that! It's totally different with males. Sounds like I'm going to have to if I want another 8 years with her. Thank you for sharing your pain with me and others in order to save other babies lives! Your doing your sweet angels a great honor [emoji]128157[/emoji]

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no!! I'm so, so sorry for your loss!! My animals (babies) are my whole world! I love them SO much sometimes I think I wish I didn't have pets because I feel I'll pass right along with them when the day comes! I honestly feel I can't live without them [emoji]128546[/emoji] That may sound crazy to some but I also know that at least some, if not all here on this site can totally relate to the feelings! Now I'm worried sick about our Molly girl!!!!! She'll be 8 June, 6 and has had many heat cycles. Maybe 20 even [emoji]128557[/emoji] Now she's putting on mass amounts of stomach fat that hangs down and I'm thinking "Is it breast cancer?" Which the C word is the devil himself to me! Took my beloved brother at 34 years old, 21 years ago and my very dear to my soul grandma (breast cancer) One of the main reasons I didn't want to spay our females is because I can't handle them being in pain after a major surgery like that! It's totally different with males. Sounds like I'm going to have to if I want another 8 years with her. Thank you for sharing your pain with me and others in order to save other babies lives! Your doing your sweet angels a great honor [emoji]128157[/emoji]
P.s. I posted a couple pics in this thread somewhere. Lol... I'm sort of a newbie and posted them more than once when I didn't need to because everyone saw them the first time. Lol.. Oops!

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momma cat is gorgeous! And look at all those little gray babies, aaaaawww! She's gonna be busy, busy, busy!

And hey! It's too early to worry about spaying mom yet, you're fine. Like Kat0121 said, kittens are number one right now, and you're doing great with them! :) Don't feel that we are criticizing or berating you -- I know what's it's like to feel that way, we just want to make sure you make whatever decision you make with all the info you need (unlike, for example, me!).
[emoji]128150[/emoji][emoji]128156[/emoji][emoji]128158[/emoji][emoji]128159[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128155[/emoji][emoji]128147[/emoji][emoji]128153[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally understand your concern about their pain. The good news is that it's a standard, fast procedure, and you can request that they send you home with pain killers. Three days of pain killers and she'll back to her normal in no time!

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theres 9 now! I'm worried she won't have enough milk to feed them all! I'm having a total meltdown right now! Our crappy vet said 3!A week ago at that! (sigh)
OH MY GOODNESS.

You can do this. You can.  I have a hugely pregnant cat so I am watching your thread closely.   Congrats, kitty mama!

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
9 kittens, congratulations! When I first saw the picture of mom, I wondered where she put them while pregnant lol. She's so small. I hope all kittens are doing well and growing well, 9 is a lot and it takes a lot of effort to get them growing steadily! 

One thing I just couldn't get my eyes around; you said mom is albino. She's not, she's a pointed cat (colored points with blue eyes). The reason none of the kittens are point like mom is because dad most likely didn't carry the gene and thus no other points can be born (The  gene is recessive). None-the-less, mom and babies are stunning. Take good care of them, and looking forward to see more pictures in the future :D 

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
9 kittens! Wow! It sounds like they are in a good place being with you giving them the best care you can. You can do it!

I'm excited for the pics. :)
[emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128154[/emoji][emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128156[/emoji]

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
9 kittens, congratulations! When I first saw the picture of mom, I wondered where she put them while pregnant lol. She's so small. I hope all kittens are doing well and growing well, 9 is a lot and it takes a lot of effort to get them growing steadily! 

One thing I just couldn't get my eyes around; you said mom is albino. She's not, she's a pointed cat (colored points with blue eyes). The reason none of the kittens are point like mom is because dad most likely didn't carry the gene and thus no other points can be born (The  gene is recessive). None-the-less, mom and babies are stunning. Take good care of them, and looking forward to see more pictures in the future :D 
She has pink reflective eyes and the very faint brownish striping that are common in animals who are albino. Her dad is a full blooded Manx and her mom which she looks identicle too except the coloring is all grey with slightly darker grey striping. I also thought point and did a good deal of research on albinism and she had every single trait and as a matter of fact, she looks like a split image of the albino cat they used as an example except she's only slightly cross eyed. I even saved a pic of that cat to see if I could trick hubbs and it did! Lol... I said "Honey, do you think Lola's eyes look more crossed than normal in this pic?" He didn't even notice it wasn't her and was in disbelief and shock to find out otherwise. Lol..

We have NO IDEA how she had 9 (decent sized, only 2 runts) babies in her either. Poor girl! I'm SOOO glad she's over her pregnancy! I can only imagine how horrible she felt! No wonder she was horribly cranky the last 2 weeks or so! She had trouble breathing even, could barely walk and was too heavy to even jump up on things [emoji]128532[/emoji] That's behind her now though, thank goodness!

Last edited:

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS.

You can do this. You can.  I have a hugely pregnant cat so I am watching your thread closely.   Congrats, kitty mama!
Oh wow! How soon till your Queenie has her babes? I'm anxious now for you and her big day!! Is this your first litter?

Thank you for all your support and encouragement [emoji]128153[/emoji] Your just precious and beautiful (profile pic [emoji]128540[/emoji])

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:hugs:   You are doing a great job. The most important thing is that they all get enough to eat and are steadily gaining weight. Mama is there to groom them, keep them warm and to help them potty. That's very important. 
@catwoman707
 gave some great advice about rotating the litter for feedings but it sounds like you were already doing that so it really sounds like you and mama cat have this under control. Make sure mama cat has plenty of food to eat and fresh water. She's going to need all the calories she can get with a litter that size!! She's lucky to have you to help her through this. :clap:

Have I mentioned how CUTE they are?  :lol3:
i have a quick question about their potty. I'm finding little tiny.... Well, turd poops,all over the place and pee on the towel (we've had to change it already) does that mean mommy is doing her duties or would she be eating that? With her mama I barely ever found "mess" in the nest. Whenever we stimulate we rarely get anything out. (using cotton balls dipped in warm water) Oh and while I've got you here, is the brand of KMR "PetAg" one of the better? I know and I wish everyone knows NOT TO EVER USE HARTZ BRAND KMR!!! It KILLS kittens! I can't believe it's still sold honestly. I will leave notes in the stores where it's sold that warns ppl. I'd write it straight on the cans if I wasn't afraid of being arrested for destruction of property! Thank you all so much again and again [emoji]127801[/emoji][emoji]127799[/emoji][emoji]127800[/emoji][emoji]127802[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom may be overwhelmed, so help her out by helping to clean them and stimulate them whenever you can. Kittens are messy by nature. Most nests are messy and need changing often.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok...now, take a deep breath.  If you need to take off on us for a few days and get grounded with this new responsibility, do so.  But don't forget we are here, and we care deeply for your little
new family and for you, as well.  You are doing fine under fire.  Come back to us when you are better able to handle 30,000 pieces of advice (although only 1,000 of them contradict all the others), and have more baby pictures to share!  We don't like to lose people, you know.

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok...now, take a deep breath.  If you need to take off on us for a few days and get grounded with this new responsibility, do so.  But don't forget we are here, and we care deeply for your little :not: new family and for you, as well.  You are doing fine under fire.  Come back to us when you are better able to handle 30,000 pieces of advice (although only 1,000 of them contradict all the others), and have more baby pictures to share!  We don't like to lose people, you know.
Aww...im still here. Your post made me smile [emoji]9786[/emoji] I needed that! I have two more new questions that have arisen, sore nipples [emoji]128546[/emoji] and moms bleeding a little bit right now. Spotting is more like it. Is this normal? It's bright red (new) Thank you all so much for your patience with me and kindness!!

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mom may be overwhelmed, so help her out by helping to clean them and stimulate them whenever you can. Kittens are messy by nature. Most nests are messy and need changing often.
I have a question or two actually. I asked another but it never hurts to get more than one opinion. Mom is spotting bright red blood. Is this normal? And please help me sooth my baby girls already sore nipples! I'm wanting to get her relief asap! Thanks again!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Olive oil or udder balm will help soothe chapped nipples. If you are noticing red, hot, hardness around the nipples that is mastitis, and will require a vet visit.

Some spotting is normal.

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Olive oil or udder balm will help soothe chapped nipples. If you are noticing red, hot, hardness around the nipples that is mastitis, and will require a vet visit.

Some spotting is normal.
Thank you! I know about mastitus and it scares the sh*t out of me! (no better word, sorry) Can I get some Lansinoh cream and use that? It's nontoxic and made for breast feeding mothers. Seems they swear by it so it must be very soothing! I have another question. Someone may have already answered it and I missed it but is the brand (PetAg) KMR one of the better ones? I know NOT to use HARTZ ever! Even in a pinch. It kills kittens and I can't believe it's approved for retail sale. I wish I could single handedly get it pulled from sales!! Thanks.

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something I forgot to add. We've been giving her "High calorie nutritional gel" once a day as well.