1 yr old in first labor!! Pls stand by.. I'm terrified!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suggest keeping the boys out of the room, at least until the kittens are a few weeks old. Mom can come in and out while you are home, but I would keep her confined while you are away/asleep.
Plus I feel it's cruel to keep her locked up in such a small room! It's all we have available right now. Molly is in heat and has to be kept away from them all (she's very.. Testy to say the least. Always has been) She's I. I our only other available room. Lola and babies are in the laundry room. I feel horrible locking her up so much, how I sleep is erratic so she'd have to be locked up most of the time. When Hubbs isn't home anyway! [emoji]128533[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus I feel it's cruel to keep her locked up in such a small room! It's all we have available right now. Molly is in heat and has to be kept away from them all (she's very.. Testy to say the least. Always has been) She's I. I our only other available room. Lola and babies are in the laundry room. I feel horrible locking her up so much, how I sleep is erratic so she'd have to be locked up most of the time. When Hubbs isn't home anyway! [emoji]128533[/emoji]
Oh boy! Do you plan to have her spayed as well?

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
9 kittens! Wow! It sounds like they are in a good place being with you giving them the best care you can. You can do it!

I'm excited for the pics. :)

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
:hugs:

It sounds like you & hubs have a great plan. You seem like a great pet "mom" and your fur & feathered babies are fortunate to be in your family!

Oh and WOW! 9 babies!!! If you didn't feel overwhelmed I wouldn't think you were human! :)
Hubs sounds great. He gave great advice and we are along for the ride to support you and see some sweet kitten pics when everything settles down (no pressure).

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly,because anyone who loves cats is my favorite people, I want to tell you straight that it was the one that hurt me. I've been sick and crying all day because I feel so overwhelmed to be honest. So, far though, none of the kittens are crying at all and they've all been nursing. There's so many that it's hard to keep track and I'm making a much bigger deal out of this than I need to! My hubbs keeps telling me I need to calm down and then he'll go through questions with me. "Is Lola OK?" (momma kitty) "yes" "Are the babies OK?" "yes" "Are Molly, Teddy and Roo OK?" "yes" "Than what are you so upset about?" and I start... "I can't keep track of who's ate and who hasn't, I feel sorry for Lola, I feel sorry for you getting no sleep trying to help me, sleeping on the floor with them, I feel sorry for our other babies cause they don't understand, how are we gonna find homes for 9 kittens when we couldn't even find one decent home for one before and just kept them all? What are we gonna do Jess? (Hubbs) ... I just love too much!" All the while bawling my eyes out!

So far, we've only been feeding the smallest ones because the first two feedings everyone ate like champs but now, they don't want any and just won't take it. Nobody is crying though and everytime I look in on them, they're either nursing or sleeping. Maybe momma can handle it until they're bigger? She has like 6 nipples with milk now. When she stands up her entire underside is hanging down with boobies! Jess says we just feed the smallest ones every 3 hours and weigh them all each day and if any aren't gaining or losing then we supplement them. Of course still feeding the tiny ones until they pick up some weight. Do you think that's fine from the sound of things?

Oh and about her brothers (which unfortunately one is dad) she isn't paying them any mind. They'll peek over the top of the box but look more scared than anything. Our Roo, poor guy, he's a massive 10 pound cat (at one yrs old AND was the runt) he's afraid of his own shadow! He's the biggest scardey cat I've seen. Poor baby! So I don't think he'd do anything to harm them and Teddy (dad) is a sweetheart and we can't see him hurting them either. Lola isn't the least bit concerned. She would know their personalities being raised with them better than even we do. Right? The vet said to definitely not separate them because all they've known is to have each other and they're a family, just as we all are. I have no choice really. I've not slept since Friday night trying to keep guard and make sure everyone's OK and I HAVE to get some sleep and eat, I've been too upset to eat. Your post scared the life out of me. I'm not in good health and it's so very hard for me to even do day to day house keeping and spoiling the animals. Which I have OCD too and it's SO hard being sick and trying to keep things spotless and tidy all the time! Now caring for 9 kittens, 4 grown cats and a bird (a cockateil who needs a lot of attention and stimulation.)

I know I need to relax since all the babies are content, things are fine. Right? Anyway, I better rest while I can. I'll post pics tomorrow. I need Hubbs phone to take pics and he's gone to work now. Thank you for clearing things up about the post!!! I am so grateful to have this site! Thank you all!! [emoji]128153[/emoji][emoji]128158[/emoji][emoji]127775[/emoji][emoji]128154[/emoji]
So the thought behind taking the 4 largest kittens and putting them in a box (near mom and the nest) is so the smaller kittens can eat without getting bumped off.  Then switching the smaller and larger kittens so the larger kittens can eat.  It will also make it easier to keep track of who's been fed.  Supplementing is fine and even with this method some might need supplementing anyways.  If you do decide to try switching off time with mom, remember to put a heat source that covers half the box so the kittens can move on and off as needed.  Mom might not want half her kittens out of the nest so if that is the case you can try putting the smaller kittens to mom when the bigger ones are asleep.

I know it's overwhelming and I am happy you have started supplementing the kittens right away instead of waiting until one of them is in dire straights.  You are giving all these kittens a chance to grow.  You can only do what you can do.  Take care of yourself as well as the kittens.  Don't feel bad about leaving her and the kittens in the small room.  The moms pretty much stay in the nest with the kittens and start moving around more towards the end of the first week.

Mom will need lots of food.  Kitten wet and dry is best and of course plenty of water.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@BubblzMay  you certainly do have your hands full here!!

Basically I think you will find that while they are still so young, rotating is the way to go, and the best insurance that they all get plenty of nursing in so they can all make it through :)

In nature if this size litter were born, surely there would be some who were not able to make it, since it's impossible for mom to nurse 9 at once!

Thankfully it is not that way, but it only take a day or 2 for them to have their favorite nipples and will continue to nurse throughout their babyhood on that same one, scrapping with any others who even think about going to their feeding spot!

It's the biggest and feistiest who win out, the smaller less aggressive end up surrendering and napping, only to repeat itself over and over, meaning they are not getting near the amt they need to thrive.

I meant to mention too, that if you put the word out on facebook, etc looking for a nursing mom who might have lost her kittens due to prematurity, etc that you can surely use a hand here!

A scale is truly your best friend right now, weighing each baby daily and looking for at least an 8 gram daily gain, as long as this achieved  you're in great shape!

It will be easy to know who needs supplementing.

Mom can actually provide enough to feed all with rotation too while so small, but not for long and needs lots of fresh water and canned food to produce enough.

Problem with supplementing, and there really is no way around this sooner or later, is that they will not take a bottle, and will hate the syringe too since they have momma. So they really holler and squirm through it, making you and mom both stress.

It's not going to be easy but you can do this! 

Mom can do the rest too, you won't need to potty, etc.

I see I was typing as the same info was posted above :)

Last edited:

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh boy! Do you plan to have her spayed as well?
No,just the boys. It's cheaper, less invasive, faster recovery and our cats NEVER go outside off leash and harness!! I'm going to buy a doggie pet stroller when it gets warmer but they'll be hooked even to the inside of that plus zipped up behind the screen! Our cats know outside is a no no without mommy and daddy so they don't even try. I have some pics. I'm wondering if I should just start a new thread or post them to one of you who requested them and everyone following will see them. *Hmm... Guess I'll just post them in this thread...

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would recommend getting the females spayed as well; it's not just about the kittens. I had two cats throughout high school, Ember and Sweetie, that we kept completely indoors and never got spayed, and they never had kittens. When I moved out, I took them both to get spayed. During Sweetie's spay, they discovered she had mammary cancer, which is a very aggressive cancer in cats. Ember was diagnosed with it as well a year later, and I lost Sweetie within two years, Ember in one year, even after spending thousands of dollars on surgeries and chemotherapy. We got very early detection with Sweetie (there were no lumps visible on the outside), but it still wasn't enough to extend her life even two years.

The biggest risk factor for mammary cancer is sex hormones from female cats not being spayed, and being spayed before the first year drastically reduces the chances of it developing (85% according to a study), but spaying at any point in general still helps. My kitties' oncologist had a little hope that being spayed even after the cancer developed might have slowed it down a little because they weren't getting exposure to the sex hormones anymore. I had no idea the negative effects that not spaying could cause, nor did my family, so I try to tell everyone about Ember and Sweetie as much as I can. There's other health risks too, but cancer is my big fear, especially after my experiences.

Anyway, sorry for being so grim! Gimme some kitty pictures, LOL!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On top of cancer, pyometria is a common infection in unspayed cats that is fatal if not treated. Your cats will be happier, healthier, not need to be secluded, and get along better.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just found this thread...NINE?  Good grief.  You are Wonder Woman in my eyes.  And doing fine, with good advice from all.

Cataria and Talkingpeanut are right.  Spaying is best for your girls' health in the future.  And, although your toms are neutered, never underestimate the determination of a cat in heat.  I had one that tore out a screen and leaped 25 feet to the ground to meet a young tom who was promising her the moon and the stars.  I've seen them scoot out between people's ankles as they were bringing in groceries, and one who climbed up a chimney and out.  TOLD them to keep the flue shut!

So...on the the best part...when do we get kitten pictures?

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:hugs:

It sounds like you & hubs have a great plan. You seem like a great pet "mom" and your fur & feathered babies are fortunate to be in your family!

Oh and WOW! 9 babies!!! If you didn't feel overwhelmed I wouldn't think you were human! :)
Hubs sounds great. He gave great advice and we are along for the ride to support you and see some sweet kitten pics when everything settles down (no pressure).
Awww...thank you so much!! Your post is the sweetest [emoji]128571[/emoji] Here are a few pics..

Last edited by a moderator:

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never post two pics before. Having some trouble. Sorry..

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG Mom is so tiny, how did she manage to carry all nine of those kittens?  They all look healthy..

If you ever have time, maybe 8 weeks from now, read some of the threads in this forum.  For the past month lots of the members are saying 'my cat got out just before her spay date' and now she's pregnant.  A cat in heat will find a way out.  And yes there are health concerns in unspayed cats as well as the risk of picking up diseases during mating.  But that is 8 weeks down the road, don't stress over that now.  When you get there if you need help looking for low cost options we will be glad to help.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS, KITTENS EVERYWHERE.  That picture is sooo cute, mom has got a kitten up over her shoulder, one sleeping on her hind leg, and one back behind her back. How does she do it?????
So adorable. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww...thank you so much!! Your post is the sweetest [emoji]128571[/emoji] Here are a few pics
  Look at that pile of kittens!!!  They are so cute and precious! What a good mama she is and she is very lucky to be in such a loving home. 

I agree wholeheartedly with @Cataria  and @talkingpeanut  - the best thing for her is to have her spayed. Having this many kittens is also tough on her body. when the time comes, if you need help finding a low cost spay/neuter facility in your area, please let us know. We'll be happy to assist. 

Please feel free to post more pictures. Those kittens are so insanely cute and mama is gorgeous!! 

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never post two pics before. Having some trouble. Sorry..

I just found this thread...NINE?  Good grief.  You are Wonder Woman in my eyes.  And doing fine, with good advice from all.

Cataria and Talkingpeanut are right.  Spaying is best for your girls' health in the future.  And, although your toms are neutered, never underestimate the determination of a cat in heat.  I had one that tore out a screen and leaped 25 feet to the ground to meet a young tom who was promising her the moon and the stars.  I've seen them scoot out between people's ankles as they were bringing in groceries, and one who climbed up a chimney and out.  TOLD them to keep the flue shut!

So...on the the best part...when do we get kitten pictures?
Yes 9!! It IS very stressful!! This site is making me feel better and then at the same time stressing me out! Some will say it sounds like we've got this under control and are doing great and then others keep me so nervous all I can do is cry. I think I'm going to have to read what people are saying, ask some questions and then stay off of here unless I need assistance again and when I post more pics in a few weeks (when I can better sex them, to let everyone know which is which and get some better face pics! Thank you so very much for your kind words! Your a sweetie [emoji]128156[/emoji]

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:love:   Look at that pile of kittens!!!  They are so cute and precious! What a good mama she is and she is very lucky to be in such a loving home. :clap:

I agree wholeheartedly with @Cataria
 and @talkingpeanut
 - the best thing for her is to have her spayed. Having this many kittens is also tough on her body. when the time comes, if you need help finding a low cost spay/neuter facility in your area, please let us know. We'll be happy to assist. 

Please feel free to post more pictures. Those kittens are so insanely cute and mama is gorgeous!! :heart4:
The biggest reason none of the babies are white like mommy is because she's actually albino! She is meant to look like her mama which is grey,just like the two littlest ones. I first noticed when her eyes shine pink most of the time in light and how her fur is white with a really light brown striping and grey points with gray bottoms of her feet where she looks like she's walked through ash... Lol. Her eyes are crystal blue as well. Then I looked into it and sure enough, she's albino! Cool huh? Her hearing is GREAT as well! Thank God!!

Thank you for your offer of help with costs! You don't think you could help home these babies do you? All but 3 actually. We're keeping one (shouldn't but can't resist since this will be our children's last offspring.We live in a VERY rural town in West Virginia and I've tried and tried to get help for the 3 strays we care for that's been outside in the harsh WV winters for YEARS now and nobody.. Nothing. Not even a call or email back! So we had to put heated shelters outside for them. Our mama kitty and her brothers are kittens from one stray we took in to have them because it was March and it snows here clear till April most of the time. We couldn't even find anyone remotely interested. Then we fell madly in love with them and couldn't bare getting rid of them,so it worked out!! But we simply can't keep more than one and we shouldn't even keep one. We live in an apt and caring (properly) for animals is quite expensive! We're willing to deliver anywhere in the US!! If weve got to drive them across country!! Seriously! Any help is very much appreciated!!!

Well, now I've forgotten what you've even commented I rambled so much. Lol.. Guess I'll post this now [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  You are doing a great job. The most important thing is that they all get enough to eat and are steadily gaining weight. Mama is there to groom them, keep them warm and to help them potty. That's very important. 

@catwoman707  gave some great advice about rotating the litter for feedings but it sounds like you were already doing that so it really sounds like you and mama cat have this under control. Make sure mama cat has plenty of food to eat and fresh water. She's going to need all the calories she can get with a litter that size!! She's lucky to have you to help her through this. 

Have I mentioned how CUTE they are?  

bubblzmay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS, KITTENS EVERYWHERE.  That picture is sooo cute, mom has got a kitten up over her shoulder, one sleeping on her hind leg, and one back behind her back. How does she do it?????:catguy: So adorable. 
I know!! I feel so bad for her. She's happy as can be though and boy does she have a STRONG maternal instinct for her first ever litter. She hardly leaves the nest. I miss her [emoji]128546[/emoji] But it's really a VERY short time before kittens are weaned and off to college. Lol.. So she'll be done soon! Then the REAL fun begins. Keeping track of 4 adults and 9 curious, clumsy, rambunctious toddlers! We still have holes plugged up and spaces cardboarded and taped off from when her and her brothers (only 3) were getting stuck in flower vases and their heads in my boots, one getting "lost" down inside hubbs work boot until I was in a complete panic attack! Found him asleep in there. Kookie kids! Lol.. But yes, moms a champ! She got so big she could no longer even jump up on the bathroom vanity. We had to keep chairs pulled out and put little stools everywhere to help her. Bless her precious heart [emoji]128156[/emoji]