#1 reason I shouldn't be working at a Vet's office

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This caught my eye.

*YOU* need to be cloned.

And your story reminded my of my days working in various clinics/hospitals. I have similar tales and I regret none of them. Seeing pet owners go from despondant to tears of relief and appreciation and seeing a pet get better from fostering or whatever tests/meds needed made my entire day.

It was one way I could 'make up' for the tears of a euthanasia or case of abuse--I think you understand.

People who go above and beyond in their understanding, love, and treatment of animals are a priceless thing. One of my favorite quotes (loosely quoted here) is from Ghandi--

"You can measure the character of man by how he treats animals"

and

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

I totally get your heart

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just an update on everyone...

Skylar is doing well. I have to do her blood glucose curve tommorrow but she seems A LOT better. She is up to about 9 pounds and urinating a lot less... Unfortunatly, I still can't find her a home. I have a small army of people looking... But no one seems to want her. I had one home that was interested but they wanted her declawed before they'd take her. I personally don't believe in it. Plus she is diabetic so she would be at a greater risk of infection. I'd rather keep looking....

Neko has auto immune hemolytic aneima. So he's going to be on steroids for quite a while. My DH has become attached. I knew it from the start... I think my family is increasing by one... Neko really seems to like him too. they snuggle in bed together at night. The only problem I am having is with my husky getting along with him. He bats at her and then she fluffs up. She hasn't tried to hurt him, but sometimes it makes me a little nervous. So the two of them are only allowed around one another if someone is watching them. My husky gets along with everyone else... I think it will just take some time.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be the same as you. That's why I'm glad that I'm a poor college student right now. I have a bit of an expensive heart as well....that's kinda how we ended up with 4 horses. Lucky for me my mom is the same way and pays for 3 of the 4 on there farm!!

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Need some prayers and vibes right now!

Really bad news... Neko has continued to lose weight. He's down to 10.2 pounds. He's lost 4.5 pounds since 2/15/07. The vets think he might have cancer or something else seriously wrong with him.... Were going to ultrasound him in about an hour. We've done complete bloodwork on him... there is no reason he should be losing all this weight....

God, dont let it be cancer...

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well... the ultrasound didn't show any signs of cancer... But we still dont know why he is losing weight. Were going to increase the amount of prednisone he is on, and put him on sucralfate so it doesn't upset his stomach. Were going to check his weight every week from now on to see if he continues to lose more...

Nothing can be simple at my house...

Anyone have any ideas??????
He's not diabetic, hyperthyroid or in kindey failure... Everything except his CBC keeps coming back normal...

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

People like you not only make the world a better place, but you make up for the rotten people on this planet!
Agreed. You are a wonderful person, and a true credit to our planet : )

Good luck to your kitties...prayers for Neko as well.

And Skylar is beautiful...I'd take her in a moment were you in Ohio or I in Florida : )

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to cry when I read that.You defintly did the right thing and you are a very good person for it.Thanks for sharing your story

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are his teeth? I'm assuming that's probably one of the first things they checked, but... you never know...

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have they checked his pancreatic function? I do hope you can get to the bottom of it soon.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear he's not doing well.

It may be a dumb question, but do you have him separated so you can for sure how much he's eating?

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His teeth are fine. He does like to grind them when he eats wet food... but there is no damage, tartar build up, or exposed roots. His pancreatic fucntion is also normal. I do keep him seperated from everyone. My Husky and him are still learning to get along so I dont leave him out unsupervised. He's been eatting really well since we started him on the pred. I dont know if I mentioned that he was constipated when I had brought him in. He seems to either have diarrhea or he gets constipated. He doesn't really have normal bowel movements. He has also been salavating a lot. Thats the other reason we put him on sucralfate, incase his stomach was bothering him. THe vets said he still could have intestinal lymphoma. Unfortunatly, to test for it he'd either have to have a biopsy done or a blood test. With how aneimic he's been, it would be risky to do either.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a feeling he is going to be just fine!!

I don't know which antibiotics are for which medical thing specifically but I have taken that medication for sinus and allergies before......hehe

........... And your new kitty is beautiful!!!!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could that be something neurological? This is just me grasping at potential straws...and it's certainly not based on any research or knowledge, it's just one of those things I'm tossing out there...

But wouldn't neurological problems potentially cause salivating, teeth grinding, and possibly weight loss/loss of apetite or increased/decreased metabolism? I honestly don't know and am just trying to explore all possibilities...

Anyway, that's just sort of me rambling, so ... I'm sure eventually that lil guy will be just fine.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its been a REALLY bad day... I possibly have strep thoat, so today the doctor put me on antibiotics. I came home, and discovered that Neko had vomited and was salavating... I figured he just had an upset tummy and gave him some sucralfate to try and make him feel better. I took a nap and when I got up he had vomited more. I couldn't find him at first. He was under the bed salvating more and crying. He wouldn't come out from under the bed. So I pulled him out and rushed him into work. He's lost more weight. He's down to 9.7 pounds... He was just 10.2 on monday! We gave him some fluids and injections to stop the vomiting and drooling.
I had a serious conversation with the vet who has been treating him. She says that she's almost positive he has intestinal lymphoma. Thats why he's having the stomach problems and the serious weight loss. She said that it's just really hard to diagnois it because it hides itself so well in the intestines...

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

I dont want to put him down without knowing for sure, but I dont want him to be in pain. He's lost 5 pounds since I've had him... He's vomiting, either constipated or having diarrhea, and drooling all the time. I dont want to make the wrong decision...

I just wish someone would tell me what I should do... I never meant to get this close to him... He was suppose to find a home... God this SUCKS! I cant stop crying....

Please send lots of prayers and vibes for him... And please pray that I can make the right decision for him...

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very tricky one, i suppose it really all boils down to what quality of life you think he has, and if the vet thinks there is any chance he will improve, or if he is just going to deteriorate. I was in your situation with Pebbles before X Mas, and I decided to let her go, we could have tried steroids which may have given her an appetite, but it was the second health issue in as many months, and the second was more serious - I couldnt' risk it coming back even worse a month later, so as hard as it was to let her go without truly knowing what it was (vet suspected some kind of cancer with her too, as whatever it was hadn't shown up on bloods or x-ray), I knew that she wasn't happy, and while she might not have been in pain, she didn't have a good quality of life, and the chances of it not happening again were too slim - vet had suspected something underlying for nearly 2 years, we just never found out what it was. I would do what I did, and have a serious chat with the vet about what she would do if it were her cat - if she thinks there is a slight chance it could be soemthing else, could those be ruled out? Big hugs to you, and feel free to pm me if you want to talk

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its been quite a while so I thought i'd update on how everyone is doing... Neko is doing well... the vomiting and diarrhea have stopped. I think He has a food intolerance. We switched his food and it all stopped. He has gained weight and seems very happy. During the day he sleeps on my bed, but when me and my DH go to bed at night, he comes over for a little bit of love and then goes and lays in his bed.

Skylar has put on a TON of weight. I would bet she is up to 11 pounds now. (I dont own a scale so I'm not 100% on it) But she is looking very round
I am still currently looking for a home for her since she does not do well with my dogs...

Maybe I'll post some pics of them later.. right now I need to get some sleep!

isisbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

Its been quite a while so I thought i'd update on how everyone is doing... Neko is doing well... the vomiting and diarrhea have stopped. I think He has a food intolerance. We switched his food and it all stopped. He has gained weight and seems very happy. During the day he sleeps on my bed, but when me and my DH go to bed at night, he comes over for a little bit of love and then goes and lays in his bed.

Skylar has put on a TON of weight. I would bet she is up to 11 pounds now. (I dont own a scale so I'm not 100% on it) But she is looking very round
I am still currently looking for a home for her since she does not do well with my dogs...

Maybe I'll post some pics of them later.. right now I need to get some sleep!
WoW, just read this whole thread... YOU are a Guardian Angel. What a beautiful heart you have.