TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Reccomendation on a book to buy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reccomendation on a book to buy?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Hi guys!
On sunday night i will be going to stay the night at my parents and then coming back home on monday. Well since its a bit more of a 4 hours train trip as im going with the slow train i would like someone to reccomend me a book that is interesting and not scary.
I will buy the book while im at the big book shop in frankfurt so i have a bigger variety of english books to choose from. (isnt able to fully understand german yet to read a proper book)
Let me know
post #2 of 26
What kind of book do you usually read?

A good, long book is "The Crimson Petal and the White" by Michael Faber. The subject matter is a bit adult, concerning the life of a prostitute in 19th century London, but it's a good read.
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefecl
What kind of book do you usually read?

A good, long book is "The Crimson Petal and the White" by Michael Faber. The subject matter is a bit adult, concerning the life of a prostitute in 19th century London, but it's a good read.
I've read that book.... I'd say the book is a LOT adult (with a bit too much detail, if you as me) but I found it a good read. Found the ending a bit abrupt, though.
post #4 of 26
I have my eye and wallet on Never Forget Me, the new novel from Kazura Ishiguro (The Remains of the Day).
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226
I've read that book.... I'd say the book is a LOT adult (with a bit too much detail, if you as me) but I found it a good read. Found the ending a bit abrupt, though.
ADULT?? interesting in what way?
post #6 of 26
A lot of adult situations... I mean, the main character is a prostitute so you can imagine what the subject matter consists of.
post #7 of 26
I would recommend...

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (I think)

or if you want something a little bit crazier...

She's Come Undone (though I can't remember who the author is)

All very very very good books!
post #8 of 26
Feel like reading a book about cats? I would recommend The New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier.
post #9 of 26
I also love anything by Marian Keyes. Her books tend to be funny with really good plot lines.
post #10 of 26
Also, The Cat Whisperer: The Secret of How to Talk to Your Cat
by Claire Bessant.
post #11 of 26
I just loved, loved "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. I read it last year, and it's now one of my favorite books! It's an immediate attention-grabber. Perfect for train reading.

I agree that "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold is excellent, another favorite.

I personally found "The Crimson Petal and the White" to be hard to get into, loooong, and dark. The "adult" portions are more cold hearted than titillating. I agree with Ari about the ending.

Enjoy your trip!
post #12 of 26
Thread Starter 
hmm, well i wil have to look at that store because i dont think they have a huge variety.
THe last book of harry potter was on every floor in huge piles!
and when the german version came out there wasnt as much fuss!
I like books that keep it interesting after a while sometimes its even better when there is an open ending and then there is the next book.
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by clixpix
I just loved, loved "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. I read it last year, and it's now one of my favorite books! It's an immediate attention-grabber. Perfect for train reading.

I agree that "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold is excellent, another favorite.
I have to 2nd and 3rd these two books... they are both good... you should definitely look into "The Lovely Bones". Or "Lucky", another book by Alice Sebold (I believe it's an autobiography).
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226
I have to 2nd and 3rd these two books... they are both good... you should definitely look into "The Lovely Bones". Or "Lucky", another book by Alice Sebold (I believe it's an autobiography).
It is, and it's excellent!
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by clixpix
It is, and it's excellent!
Ah I think we have the same taste in books... I think we should share notes some time!
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by clixpix
I just loved, loved "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. I read it last year, and it's now one of my favorite books! It's an immediate attention-grabber. Perfect for train reading.
!

Thanks for this recommendation. My hand went out to get it and I ended up with Louise Erdrich instead.
post #17 of 26
I concur with Lovely Bones! Lovely book - light read.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
I concur with Lovely Bones! Lovely book - light read.
I loved that book.
fwan, if you want something open-ended, Dean Koontz has his version of "Frankenstein", and the first part is being sold (in English) in most train stations in Germany. His books are hard to categorize - "horror and phantasy", I guess. Ditto Kathy Reich's "Monday Mourning", if you like murder mysteries.
post #19 of 26
Have you read any of "The Cat Who . .. " books yet? THey are delightful light-hearted 'murder mysteries' where the protagonist shares the solving of the mystery with his two siamese cats ' Koko and YumYum. You could pick up 1 or 2 of them in paperback. They are easy to read and can be read in one sitting, or without difficulty, picked back up to finish later. Good travel reading material.

Kathryn
post #20 of 26
I LOVE Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones!
post #21 of 26
She's come undone is by Wally Lamb. If you haven't read any of the Harry Potter books you might like them. I'm personally a fan of Stephen King. Do you like mysteries?? What type of book-funny, mushy, scary?????????? Any of the Dan Brown books are good (The davinci code/ angels and demons).
post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC
She's come undone is by Wally Lamb. If you haven't read any of the Harry Potter books you might like them. I'm personally a fan of Stephen King. Do you like mysteries?? What type of book-funny, mushy, scary?????????? Any of the Dan Brown books are good (The davinci code/ angels and demons).
ive got all of the harry potter books im waiting for the next one to come out !

I dont really know... lol i like books but its hard for me to categorise.
I read "tomorrow when the war began by John Marsden and he was such a good writer its abou these kids who go to the bush and come back to see that the land has been taken over by god knows what and every animal is dead.

Then i read like a poem book and its called
Love, ghosts and nose hair cant remember who its by.
Well thanks for the hint guys!
i'm not sure if i can find most of these books here in germany but i will try
post #23 of 26
Here's a book that I read about three years ago, that still sticks in my mind. "Spilling Clarence" by Anne Ursu. The plot SOUNDS like sci-fi but it's not. A small town in Minnesota, named Clarence, experiences a chemical spill from the local pharmaceutical plant. The chemical spill causes almost everyone in Clarence to remember their ENTIRE past..even the things that they have blocked out, the good the bad, and the ugly. The question? Is having total recall of every event in your life, a blessing or a curse? Very emotional and wise book.
post #24 of 26
I agree, "The Lovely Bones" is a really good one.
I also think "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" is really good as well...just can't recall the name of the author.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz
Here's a book.......................... The question? Is having total recall of every event in your life, a blessing or a curse? Very emotional and wise book.

That sounds really engrossing. I will have to check it out.
post #26 of 26
Mitch Albom wrote "The 5 People You Meet in Heaven" and I recommended it VERY highly!

And Mom of Franz that book sounds very interesting... I'll have to look into it, thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Reccomendation on a book to buy?