My little Pumpkin died today

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My pain seems to be getting worse. I can't stop crying. There is no one else I can turn to for help (I'm not referring to here but in person.) I am scared of living alone. Pumpkin is literally all I had for over 11 years and now he is gone.

Please tell me this will get better. Please.
It does, it really does. You don’t think it can but it will…and actually crying a lot helps! Better to let it all out, whatever you are feeling. Try to comfort yourself, however that works for you: camomile tea, rest, being outdoors, meditation. Time is your healer & friend with this and also, try to remember your best buddy would not want your to be sad forever. :alright:

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My pain seems to be getting worse. I can't stop crying. There is no one else I can turn to for help (I'm not referring to here but in person.) I am scared of living alone. Pumpkin is literally all I had for over 11 years and now he is gone.

Hang in there, right now it is a blazing inferno of grief but over time it will become embers. I lost my sweet boy of 17 years about a month ago. He was my soul mate. I cried just yesterday morning and can't believe he's not here anymore but it's not the all consuming grief that it was the first week. I still replay the what if i would've done this or what if I didn't do that, would he still be here? but I also think, what if we would've never rescued him, he most certainly would've lived a far shorter/lesser life? In the grand scheme of things, we are all only here for a short while, our cats loved their lives, they loved it to the fullest each day, I'm starting to now try and take the attitude that I need to be more like them, not to fall into despair and grief but to make the most of each day we have and soak it all in, just like they would a sun bath. Saving another sweet soul when I'm ready is another way to honor their memory. I hope you find some peace in the coming days.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it will get better in that the pain you are feeling now will lessen with time. However, if you're like me it's not easy to talk about him without tearing up. I think the hardest thing is making the decision to let them go but I know you didn't want him to suffer. Everyone here understands and can empathize with you. :grouphug: Thinking of you and keeping you in our thoughts.:hugs:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does, it really does. You don’t think it can but it will…and actually crying a lot helps! Better to let it all out, whatever you are feeling. Try to comfort yourself, however that works for you: camomile tea, rest, being outdoors, meditation. Time is your healer & friend with this and also, try to remember your best buddy would not want your to be sad forever. :alright:
Them not wanting me to be sad forever helped me get over the initial loss. I thought, "had it been me who passed and they needed to be placed in a new home, would I want them sad and depressed forever, or would I want them to decide they like their new home and love their new family?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
I tried going out today (Friday). Went to the laundromat to do some wash, including some of his blankets. That really killed me I always made sure he had very soft and fluffy blankets. He had a huge pile of them in our bedroom closet, which turned out to be his favourite spot in our home,

When I was doing my wash, the laundromat was very busy and there were so many people nearby I wanted to scream. I didn't want to be near too many people because I just lost my baby. When one person got too close I was rather abrupt and then apologized and explained why. I told him I just lost my cat. He was very nice about it but I still felt bad, I remember being snappy with people after my mother died 25 years ago.

So going out to do wash may not have been the best idea, Tomorrow (Saturday) I have to run to the store to get a prescription, This will be hard because that particular store had a lot of things Pumpkin liked, I loved their cat aisle,

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hang in there, right now it is a blazing inferno of grief but over time it will become embers. I lost my sweet boy of 17 years about a month ago. He was my soul mate. I cried just yesterday morning and can't believe he's not here anymore but it's not the all consuming grief that it was the first week. I still replay the what if i would've done this or what if I didn't do that, would he still be here? but I also think, what if we would've never rescued him, he most certainly would've lived a far shorter/lesser life? In the grand scheme of things, we are all only here for a short while, our cats loved their lives, they loved it to the fullest each day, I'm starting to now try and take the attitude that I need to be more like them, not to fall into despair and grief but to make the most of each day we have and soak it all in, just like they would a sun bath. Saving another sweet soul when I'm ready is another way to honor their memory. I hope you find some peace in the coming days.
Thank you so much for your kind words! I am very sorry about your loss. I know that Pumpkin would not want me to be sad but right now my pain is so strong it's hard not to think about it too much.

He was abandoned in Pulaski NY many years ago We lived in a small apartment building that was near the old Deaton's warehouse, which unfortunately was a popular drop off point for people who no longer wanted their pets. I think that's how he turned up there. This was in the Winter of 2012/2013. I took him in, knowing it was against the rules because pets weren't allowed. But, I couldn't bear the thought of his being hit by a car or freezing to death.

Not long after I adopted Pumpkin I went to my doctor and asked for a note so he would be recognized as an emotional support animal. I knew that having this note gave us extra protection and it did. Not long before Pumpkin and I moved from that apartment to a better one, the manager came to me and said I needed to get rid of Pumpkin. I said no. I went to a disabled advocacy group and told my contact there how they tried to make me give up Pumpkin and I told them about that note from my doctor. I had them talk with the manager and oh, did he get scared. He said "you didn't have to get them involved" and I said "yes I did. NO ONE is going to make me give him up. EVER."

The day we moved from there I went to the manager's office to turn in the keys and as we talked before I left, I saw my brother taking Pumpkin to his truck in his little carrier. I can't tell you how good that made me feel, Pumpkin and I won, No one was able to separate us.

I'm telling you all of this to say that if I didn't adopt Pumpkin when I did, he would have been dead long ago. I tried to give him a good life. I really did, in spite of my health problems, which got worse since then.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, it will get better in that the pain you are feeling now will lessen with time. However, if you're like me it's not easy to talk about him without tearing up. I think the hardest thing is making the decision to let them go but I know you didn't want him to suffer. Everyone here understands and can empathize with you. :grouphug: Thinking of you and keeping you in our thoughts.:hugs:
Thank you! <hugs>

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It’s such a miserable feeling to experience such a loss. The emptiness that is felt inside can seem unbearable. Knowing that we cannot have back what we have lost is so painful that I think we can try to take some control by placing blame on ourselves. Being angry at ourselves can be easier than the grief.

There is nothing you did or didn’t do that caused this. Try not to blame yourself or second guess decisions you made. You loved your little cat more than anything and did everything in your power to make his life the best you could.

You won’t get over this pain, but you will learn to function and eventually live with the grief. One day you will be able to remember and smile at the wonderful times together. It all takes time.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Them not wanting me to be sad forever helped me get over the initial loss. I thought, "had it been me who passed and they needed to be placed in a new home, would I want them sad and depressed forever, or would I want them to decide they like their new home and love their new family?"
Good point, I always worried about what would happen to Pumpkin if I died first. I would have wanted him to be happy even with me gone, I made sure that if something were to happen to me, that he'd be taken in so he wouldn't be homeless again, The shelter I made arrangements with will be getting all of his unopened dry and canned food and litter he's got left. I believe Pumpkin would want me to share his stuff with them.

I made sure he didn't die alone. He was in my arms when he passed.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s such a miserable feeling to experience such a loss. The emptiness that is felt inside can seem unbearable. Knowing that we cannot have back what we have lost is so painful that I think we can try to take some control by placing blame on ourselves. Being angry at ourselves can be easier than the grief.

There is nothing you did or didn’t do that caused this. Try not to blame yourself or second guess decisions you made. You loved your little cat more than anything and did everything in your power to make his life the best you could.

You won’t get over this pain, but you will learn to function and eventually live with the grief. One day you will be able to remember and smile at the wonderful times together. It all takes time.

I am truly sorry for your loss.
Thank you! <hugs>

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One idea that came to mind - that I am most likely not eligible for - is the possibility of my becoming a foster parent to a cat. There's a nearby shelter that has a foster care program but would I be eligible, given my health issues and my long hx of depression, anxiety and panic attacks?

What if I needed to go to the hospital or what if the worst happened to me? This is something I worried about when Pumpkin was alive. The local shelter I am thinking about makes arrangements for an animal's veterinary care and provides food, litter etc. They'd probably be able to make arrangements for the foster cat if something was to happen to me,

I don't know if I'd be a good fit for this, given my recent loss and health problems, some of which are serious. I was still able to take care of my little boy.

I feel so lost without him and am all alione

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One idea that came to mind - that I am most likely not eligible for - is the possibility of my becoming a foster parent to a cat. There's a nearby shelter that has a foster care program but would I be eligible, given my health issues and my long hx of depression, anxiety and panic attacks?

What if I needed to go to the hospital or what if the worst happened to me? This is something I worried about when Pumpkin was alive. The local shelter I am thinking about makes arrangements for an animal's veterinary care and provides food, litter etc. They'd probably be able to make arrangements for the foster cat if something was to happen to me,

I don't know if I'd be a good fit for this, given my recent loss and health problems, some of which are serious. I was still able to take care of my little boy.

I feel so lost without him and am all alione
I did not know Pumpkins story, and how hard you fought to keep him. He was a very lucky cat to have someone who loved him so deeply and fiercely, having been abandoned before. If I were running a foster program and knew your story with him, I'd jump at the chance for you to be a foster caretaker. You could put your name in and tell them a little bit about yourself, and ask if they have any emergency back up plans. People go into the hospital with no prior medical problems all the time and I'm sure they've ran into similar situations.
I knew a lady who got very, very snitty with me once. It kind of shocked me TBH. Turns out, she had just lost her adult child, and within weeks had to bury her husband. Grief does funny things to our moods. I'm sure explaining what happened to the person at the laundromat was appreciated and I'm sure they feel for you. I know I do. :hugs:

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps heading over to shelter to meet the staff and the cats/kittens might be a good outing for you? They are all people that love animals and would be understanding of your grief.
you’ve mentioned feeling very alone and this might be a way to open the doors to meeting others that share your passion.

if you do decide to foster and worry about what might happen if you need medical care, a lot of our local vets have stickers that you can put up on your front door to let responders (medical/fire) know that there are animals inside that need help too.

it’s early days still and finding your way through grief is a personal journey. Just keep looking forward and know that it’s ok to live your life, it doesn’t mean you don’t still love him.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did not know Pumpkins story, and how hard you fought to keep him. He was a very lucky cat to have someone who loved him so deeply and fiercely, having been abandoned before. If I were running a foster program and knew your story with him, I'd jump at the chance for you to be a foster caretaker. You could put your name in and tell them a little bit about yourself, and ask if they have any emergency back up plans. People go into the hospital with no prior medical problems all the time and I'm sure they've ran into similar situations.
I knew a lady who got very, very snitty with me once. It kind of shocked me TBH. Turns out, she had just lost her adult child, and within weeks had to bury her husband. Grief does funny things to our moods. I'm sure explaining what happened to the person at the laundromat was appreciated and I'm sure they feel for you. I know I do. :hugs:
Thank you!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Perhaps heading over to shelter to meet the staff and the cats/kittens might be a good outing for you? They are all people that love animals and would be understanding of your grief.
you’ve mentioned feeling very alone and this might be a way to open the doors to meeting others that share your passion.

if you do decide to foster and worry about what might happen if you need medical care, a lot of our local vets have stickers that you can put up on your front door to let responders (medical/fire) know that there are animals inside that need help too.

it’s early days still and finding your way through grief is a personal journey. Just keep looking forward and know that it’s ok to live your life, it doesn’t mean you don’t still love him.
Thank you!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this will sound wrong, like I'm really losing it, but I've always wondered if my stress - which has been chronic for years (due to lack of adequate health coverage for me, chronic mental health issues including depression, anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD) could have caused or led to my cat's death.

Like I've done with my own health, I consulted with Dr. Google (which I know isn't good to do) and found lots of links with information that make it look like a cat owner's stress can affect their pet physically.

I remember asking his vet if my stress can affect him but she said no. However, I don't think she understood how badly stressed I am much of the time,

I would never do anything to hurt him....but I have to ask - could everything I've been going through have affected him physically and maybe even caused him to die two days ago?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would be so easy if we could find someone to blame for the devastation of losing such an important part of our lives. Even, if that someone is us. Then we would have clear cut answers to the question of why and we could be angry about it instead of grieving. Allot less painful.

The reality is that there is no “ Why?”. Very bad things happen to very good little cats for absolutely no reason at all. We are not able to change things and have no real control. We all do the best we can, yet still wind up right where you are now.

There is nothing you did that caused this. This is not your fault.

I think fostering is a great idea, if you have a home to offer a cat, even temporarily, you should. Why not try to turn your grief into something positive for another cat.

I am so sorry for the pain you are suffering.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would be so easy if we could find someone to blame for the devastation of losing such an important part of our lives. Even, if that someone is us. Then we would have clear cut answers to the question of why and we could be angry about it instead of grieving. Allot less painful.

The reality is that there is no “ Why?”. Very bad things happen to very good little cats for absolutely no reason at all. We are not able to change things and have no real control. We all do the best we can, yet still wind up right where you are now.

There is nothing you did that caused this. This is not your fault.

I think fostering is a great idea, if you have a home to offer a cat, even temporarily, you should. Why not try to turn your grief into something positive for another cat.

I am so sorry for the pain you are suffering.
Thank you!

The vet stopped by a little while ago and said the same things you did. That his death is not my fault and she emphasized how good a Mommy I was to my little boy.

She brought his ashes and paw prints. I could't stop crying when she came here.

I love him with all of my heart. I will be in much pain for quite awhile.

1714244829251.png

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
It might not be time for you, this is all so new, but I put my cat’s ashes under a tree he liked. Now I think warm thoughts about the tree, knowing on some level, they are connected. One day at a time... it’s process. Agree with the others that being a foster is a great idea!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might not be time for you, this is all so new, but I put my cat’s ashes under a tree he liked. Now I think warm thoughts about the tree, knowing on some level, they are connected. One day at a time... it’s process. Agree with the others that being a foster is a great idea!
Thank you! I think for now I will keep his ashes in one of his favourite parts of the house - the living room window. The window he's in now was one of his many hangouts in this apartment, He was always looking outdioors,

A couple of times the week before he died, I took Pumpkin outside in his carrier to perk up his mood It seemed to help but not for long

I asked my brother to make sure that if I died before he does, that Pumpkin's ashes and paw prints will be buried with me and he agreed