Used book sites?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of any good used book sites? I sort of hate trying new sites so I thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with a site. I've found AbesBooks.com but they havent had anything listed for more than a few dollars less than amazon (and with amazon you get free shipping and its new)

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, wish I knew some. I've used Amazon.com for years. Most of the ones I buy are 1cent

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know a lot of Amazon books are offered used as well as new?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I know amazon offers used as well, but the books I want are only a few dollars less, and when you tack on shipping they're actually more :/

redsmurf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was going to say paperbackswap as well. It is a great site!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use half.com, too, for everything from paperbacks to DD's college books.

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I buy a lot of used books on ebay. Have you tried that? You might find a seller that has an ebay "shop," if you want to be able to order from the same place and save on shipping.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been tempted to get some of the large book lots off of ebay.

anjhest - Have you bought in lots? If so, do you find it worth it?

Other than that, I prefer to go to a used bookstore I know of. I only make it to her store a few times every few months but I like giving her my business.
If you can find one you like, I suggest supporting a little store like this instead.

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I decided I wanted the whole Cat Who collection I got them on EBay. I was lucky to get a lot of them in one set. Of course I also got some duplicates but the price was well worth it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use Amazon mostly. DH was looking for the Left Behind series back when he was in the military and about to deploy. He found a seller that had bundles of them but not exactly what he needed so he contacted her and told her what he needed and she ended up putting it together for him. I guess she did have the ones he was looking for; but she hadn't listed all she had or something. When she heard he was military she gave him a good deal too. If I remember correctly; her son-in-law was also active duty. The base DH was at had a small "coffee house" tent and a bookshelf in there where guys were sharing books. DH decided to leave the whole series there when he came home.

I've also gotten some good deals on there by reading through the lists of used books available. Most people seem to give a good enough description of the book to let you see if it's in good enough condition for the price and what you are looking for.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alibris.com are great. And Amazon usually have all their books available as used ones, from a few pence each.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fortunately, we have a local half-price used bookseller chain. In fact, I hear it's expanding quite a bit.

Not hard to figure out how they make money. They buy used books. I took a box full over, including some complete science fiction series. They gave me about $7 for over almost $150 worth of books.

I just received a book I bought on e-bay. I got it for a good price, and it was in excellent condition. A hard-to-find book, too.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use ebay, half.com (which is owned by e-bay), amazon (for used and new), abebooks.com, and alibris. I have never used paperbackswap, but I am going to check that out!

I love buying used books.

With half.com, you can often get books for $.75 or $.99, but the shipping is set at $3.49 for most books. The way to get around this is to buy multiple books from the same seller (easy to do!) and then the shipping is slashed for each book, becoming a dollar something per book.