I need help and assurance

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 year old Persian male had a rupture of his rat eye on Tuesday. He had a graft to save eye on Wends. Collar is a major trauma for him and me. Hand feeding and getting him to drink is difficult. Anyone have advice? I am a wreck

lokipepperlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'm so sorry that's happening with you but I bet cat will be ok calm down I'm not just saying that if your calm your cat will feel more relaxed

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a "rat eye"? (My guess is typo. They happen to everybody.)

That's a tough one. Are there any treats that he's fond of?

For drinking, have you tried the water tuna is packed in?

Some cats may think KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) is comfort food, and if he's one of them it has the added advantage of being high in calories. If you want to try this, look for the powdered variety and use a milk frother as a sort of mini-blender to mix it with water. For that matter, any kitten food you can get him to eat will be higher in calories than adult cat food.

lokipepperlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is a "rat eye"? (My guess is typo. They happen to everybody.)

That's a tough one. Are there any treats that he's fond of?

For drinking, have you tried the water tuna is packed in?

Some cats may think KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) is comfort food, and if he's one of them it has the added advantage of being high in calories. If you want to try this, look for the powdered variety and use a milk frother as a sort of mini-blender to mix it with water. For that matter, any kitten food you can get him to eat will be higher in calories than adult cat food.
good ideas

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also try goat's milk, preferably raw, if you can get it. Cats tend to crave milk, even though adult cats are lactose intolerant. But goat milk doesn't trigger the intolerance (I've heard the explanation but didn't retain it, so don't ask me to explain why). And raw goat milk will help his immune system. (Note: If there's any chance that his body could reject the graft, avoid the raw goat milk; go with pasteurized.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to you all. Sorry for the typo. It was a corneal abrasion that caused the eye rupture. I will try the kitten food. I appreciate all your responses

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a corneal abrasion that caused the eye rupture.
So this was similar to cataract surgery in a human? When I had cataracts removed my corneas were replaced with synthetic lenses. Any idea what they used for the graft?

After my cataract surgery, the surgeon had two main concerns:
  • That I not rub my eyes.
  • That I not lift anything heavier than twenty pounds for a few days (i.e. he didn't want me to strain).
When you spoke of the collar being traumatic, were you referring to a "cone of shame"? Because there are soft collars available that may be much easier for your cat to deal with. I should have picked up on that earlier; sorry to have missed it.

I found this blog rating different soft collars. Don't let the fact that they're talking about dogs throw you; the collars are the same for either a cat or a small dog. https://www.rover.com/blog/dog-cone-of-shame-alternatives/

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the collar is hard for eating/drinking, try elevating the bowls. Use individual bowls and put them up higher so the cone doesn't hit the floor.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you closely monitor him during meals so he can eat without the collar on? Just take it off while he eats while watching him to ensure he doesn’t hurt himself and put it on right afterwards once he’s done? Feeding him lots of wet food with some added warm water would be helpful during this time for keeping his hydration up too.

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the collar is hard for eating/drinking, try elevating the bowls. Use individual bowls and put them up higher so the cone doesn't hit the floor.
I did that. Small raised bowls so he could get cone around it…knocked over.

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you closely monitor him during meals so he can eat without the collar on? Just take it off while he eats while watching him to ensure he doesn’t hurt himself and put it on right afterwards once he’s done? Feeding him lots of wet food with some added warm water would be helpful during this time for keeping his hydration up too.
Thank you. I am afraid if I take the collar off even monitoring him he has me under his paw. O turned the corner for a second and he was up the cat tree,!

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this was similar to cataract surgery in a human? When I had cataracts removed my corneas were replaced with synthetic lenses. Any idea what they used for the graft?

After my cataract surgery, the surgeon had two main concerns:
  • That I not rub my eyes.
  • That I not lift anything heavier than twenty pounds for a few days (i.e. he didn't want me to strain).
When you spoke of the collar being traumatic, were you referring to a "cone of shame"? Because there are soft collars available that may be much easier for your cat to deal with. I should have picked up on that earlier; sorry to have missed it.

I found this blog rating different soft collars. Don't let the fact that they're talking about dogs throw you; the collars are the same for either a cat or a small dog. https://www.rover.com/blog/dog-cone-of-shame-alternatives/
The graft was pig cornea the collar I brought the surgeon was a soft one and he said too easy to get off.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The graft was pig cornea the collar I brought the surgeon was a soft one and he said too easy to get off.
Okay, pig cornea means rejection is a possibility; stick to pasteurized if you're giving him goat milk.

Did the vet tell you how it's easier to get the soft collar off?
  • Too loose? Maybe he needs a different size.
  • Inflatable and he could put a claw in it? If your cat is already trained to accept claw clipping, he's overdue for one. If he isn't already trained this is a bad time to introduce it.
  • Fastener is too easy to break? Maybe you need to replace it with Velcro.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have confined ill or very new cats or kittens to a bathroom for much longer than feeding time, so feeding him in the bathroom might be a good idea. Yes, there are counters and shelves more than likely, but also a much smaller space if you have to control him. I would only feed there though, as it sounds as if he needs careful supervision and feels good enough to jump around.

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, pig cornea means rejection is a possibility; stick to pasteurized if you're giving him goat milk.

Did the vet tell you how it's easier to get the soft collar off?
  • Too loose? Maybe he needs a different size.
  • Inflatable and he could put a claw in it? If your cat is already trained to accept claw clipping, he's overdue for one. If he isn't already trained this is a bad time to introduce it.
  • Fastener is too easy to break? Maybe you need to replace it with Velcro.
He did not want it I think it is what it came down to really.

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have confined ill or very new cats or kittens to a bathroom for much longer than feeding time, so feeding him in the bathroom might be a good idea. Yes, there are counters and shelves more than likely, but also a much smaller space if you have to control him. I would only feed there though, as it sounds as if he needs careful supervision and feels good enough to jump around.
Thanks. When I first got him I did just that. Of course he was in the sink when I checked. Actually I have. Even hand and spoon feeding him and we are stable right now. Thaks for all the great suggestions.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He did not want it I think it is what it came down to really.
Ouch!

Speaking from experience with MDs, the only times I've thought something like that about a medical professional it turned out I was right. One doctor was lying his tush off because he didn't like having his judgment questioned by a young woman. That was over 45 years ago, and because I let him get away with the lie my husband ended up in renal failure. And about two years ago my husband killed himself by going off of dialysis.

This isn't that serious, unless your cat is unable to get adequate nutrition due to his vet not liking it when a pet parent has an idea of their own. If I had a doctor, whether for myself or my cat, that I couldn't trust to be honest with me, I'd be looking for a different doctor, immediately.

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ouch!

Speaking from experience with MDs, the only times I've thought something like that about a medical professional it turned out I was right. One doctor was lying his tush off because he didn't like having his judgment questioned by a young woman. That was over 45 years ago, and because I let him get away with the lie my husband ended up in renal failure. And about two years ago my husband killed himself by going off of dialysis.

This isn't that serious, unless your cat is unable to get adequate nutrition due to his vet not liking it when a pet parent has an idea of their own. If I had a doctor, whether for myself or my cat, that I couldn't trust to be honest with me, I'd be looking for a different doctor, immediately.
I know what you mean. Being a nurse for 45 years I have been tested by a wide array of ego maniacs. Trooper is good boy and he is trying and getting better at drinking etc. Thanks again for your support