Lactulose for Constipation

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so I had to take my cat into the vet last Sunday for a UTI and while I was there mentioned that she was having problems with constipation. They gave me an antibiotic (Clavamox 125mg) for the UTI and Lactulose (1ml) for constipation. Both are given twice a day.

I started both meds on Monday night and the next morning my cat pooped three times which I thought was a great sign. Well, as far as I have seen, she hasn't pooped since so it's now been 4 days. It is possible, but not likely, that she pooped somewhere else in the house and I didn't find it since I have a labrador that is more than happy to clean up for her.
I really don't think that is the case though since she used her litter box all three times on Tuesday morning with no problem. I've also been keeping a baby gate up so that the dog can't get near the box so I can monitor her movements.

By the way, I noticed that her appetite diminished at first on these meds so she was eating only about 1/4 cup of food for the first three days. I assumed that is why she wasn't producing waste like normal, but not that she's eaten her full 1/2 cup for the last three days, things should have normalized by now. At least I would think so. She is also acting completely normal, playing, eating and such.

I do plan to call the vet today but have a couple of questions for the group on all of this.

1. Has anyone had experience with Lactulose and if so, how did it work for your cat?

2. What day did it start becoming effective?

3. How long can a cat typically go without defecating before it's considered dangerous and requires an enema?

Thanks as always everyone!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: I called the vet and was told that I needed to give her more time and her body will start to pass everything on it's own. He said as long as she is still eating and drinking normally everything is okay at this point. I rolled her on her back earlier and felt her tummy and it is pretty firm, so even though the vet wasn't concerned I'm only going to give it a couple of more days at the most and then take her back in. I'm just shocked that the lactulose is taking this long which is why I'd like to hear about other's experience with it.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another UPDATE: She just pooped twice. Woohoo! I know you all are so interested in my cat's bowel movements.
Unfortunately one was in the litter box and the other was not.
I have to hope that she didn't finish in the box only because it's a bit painful right now, given that they were like rocks. Hopefully she'll start to become regular now.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to let you know that my cat uses Lactulose (Kristalose brand) and it works well to soften the stool. However, my cat suffers from advanced stage constipation and cannot poop on his own. Therefore, he uses Kristalose in conjunction with other medications. It worked well for a few months on its own but ultimately stopped until I got those other meds. Other people I know said lactulose is great indefinitely for their cats.

Good luck!

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bickford is on it - 1 oz per day. It keeps him regular, and given his weight problem that's a good thing. Other than the fact he hates having it squirted in his mouth he doesn't have any difficulty with it.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

Other than the fact he hates having it squirted in his mouth he doesn't have any difficulty with it.
Tell me about it! I have drool spots all over my freshly washed comforter.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie gets 1 ounce twice a day and I've noticed he goes two or three days without pooping. When he does though they are some huge ones.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Jordan was on it for a long time. The thing I noticed when he first went on it was that it made him a little gassy until his body adjusted to it. He was on 2-3 cc 2 - 3 x a day, which is a lot more than your cat is. He's been doing preety good on his own, but I keep an eye on him, and just give as needed. Although I may put him back on it daily if things continue the way they are. I do remember it taking a couple days to really start working.

isis123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone help with a suggestion of how to get the syringe of lactulose into my baby's mouth? Isis is literally a cat from hell when she sees the syringe, she spits, hisses, claws, and develops 8 arms and legs. We (2 humans) get bitten, scratched, and covered with lactulose, which is sticky as molasses. Poor Isis is covered with it for days, too. She needs 2 doses/day. Any suggestions would be welcome. BTW, we have 4 other cats who don't seem to need the medicine. Oh, and we feed them all Rx Diet W/D, dry and wet. Thanks much!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I assume you've tried the cat burrito method? Wrapping her in a towel so she can't scratch/escape?  If that doesn't work, what about the cat bag? Carolina has a video where she uses it to syringe feed. It seems to work really well and leaves you hands free. Her cat Lucky didn't struggle at all getting strapped into it, and I'm pretty sure mine would. The cat burrito works pretty well for me, even alone, although it's a lot easier with two people.

isis123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for your quick reply! I can try the cat burrito tonight, although I have the feeling Isis can wiggle and slip out of anything. Also, that doesn't solve the issue of opening her mouth and keeping it open!  But, it's worth a shot, so to speak.

Thanks again,

Sandy/Isis

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone help with a suggestion of how to get the syringe of lactulose into my baby's mouth? Isis is literally a cat from hell when she sees the syringe, she spits, hisses, claws, .....
Good gawwwwwwwwwwwd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly............know that, even attempting to do this can be extremely dangerous for the cat.

IF S/HE ASPIRATES (breathes in) THE LACTULOSE YOU RISK A POTENTIALLY FATAL CONDITION - ASPIRATION PNEUMONIA - and, with you description of your cat's resistance, WHY on earth would you risk this???

Generally, lactulose is given mixed in with wet food...even baby food. You need and want very little and it should be enough of a distraction to mask the gooey sticky yucky lactulose.

Frankly, a far better option (as an osmotic laxative) is MiraLAX...tasteless, undetectable, dissolvable - no fuss, no muss. More info here http://www.felinecrf.org/constipation.htm#miralax

isis123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, good G---------------------------------d is about right.

I like your idea of baby food. I have a jar and will try to mix it in tonight. Thanks!

The other thing is, is Miralax, which my husband takes, but not by syringe, the same as Lactulose, or close enough for use in the cat? and do I mix it with her baby food also?

Thanks a bunch!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing is, is Miralax...the same as Lactulose, or close enough for use in the cat? and do I mix it with her baby food also?
Isis123, the link I gave you tells all you need to know........however, from that link:
http://MiraLAX Dosage

Unlike lactulose, which is a sticky syrup, MiraLAX comes as an odourless and tasteless powder which can be mixed with water or food. A common starting dose is 1/8 of a teaspoon per day, though if you don't see an improvement in your cat's constipation after three days, you can increase to 1/4 of a teaspoon if necessary. If this still doesn't work, ask your vet about increasing the dose. MiraLAX is supposed to be mixed with water, and can be given via a dropper, though some people mix it with baby food. You can also divide it between your cat's meals over the course of a day if you prefer, it is not essential to give the day's dose all in one go.
More, for anyone else, can be found here: http://www.felineconstipation.org/prevention.html#OsmoticLaxativesPrevent

isis123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again. I will speak to the vet about changing her to Miralax. Sounds a lot easier, and she has NOT been diagnosed with kidney disease.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...she has NOT been diagnosed with kidney disease
Isis123, usually I add a note for people when I reference that site, advising that they ignore all references to kidney disease in the part referenced. I'm sorry that I didn't do it for you, that was my oversight.

It goes without saying that changes in treatments should always be discussed with one's Veterinarian.

That site has an absolute wealth of feline health information written in a straightforward simple fashion, and much of it applies to all cats...because, managing kidney disease is a matter of re-balancing systems that get unbalanced when kidney function is reduced. The site has also been recognized by The American Association of Feline Practitioners.

For your own peace of mind, you could also search this forum for MiraLAX.......I know you'll find many references.

I did forget to add another benefit of using MiraLAX over lactulose....this applies to older cats. Because lactulose is high in calcium, and where variations in calcium values can cause difficulties in older, more fragile cats, it would be more prudent to not add extra calcium to that cat's diet- so, if constipation is an issue, an alternative to lactulose is needed.

Hope this helps!