Lost my precious little girl to FIP :(

lee-anna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.

I lost my little one, Abby, at just over a year old. I am having a really hard time with this. We rescued her from a not-so-good home in September 2007. To my knowledge, before us, she did not have an easy life. So, I grew really attached to her, making sure that she was comfortable, and simply, a happy kitty.

After she warmed up to my husband and I, she became the most gentle, innocent and affectionate kitty I had ever known.

FIP hit her very hard. I took her in suspecting she had worms, because after researching a bit and being a positive person, you only think to look for the treatable case. It was very obvious, once the vet saw her, that she was a very sick kitty. Because of her little frame, the disease had already taken over her body and there was nothing that could be done. She had wet FIP and it had reached her lungs already (I could hear it in her meows and purrs)..

On Saturday, January 19th, we made the most difficult decision we've ever had to make..
We were with her the whole time, until the last beat.. just so I was sure that she was comfortable and went peacefully without any pain.

It has almost been 48hrs since she was home, and I feel so damaged. I cannot comprehend how a creature so innocent could be taken away so young. I know we did all that we could do to give her the best life possible, and I know that we gave our girl her life back by freeing her of such pain, but I am still having such a difficult time.

Thank you for taking this time to read my story.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May you Rest in Peace Beautiful Kitty

May you drink from rivers of ice cold water, roll around in fields of catnip, & prance around all day with your new friends

zao_cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry.
FIP is rough. My friend lost her cat to it about a month ago. Atleast she knew thay you loved her and she isn't suffering anymore.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry! I was just in your situation with Glitch in November, he had the wet form also! I still take it day to day!

You did the right thing to not let her suffer, I let my boy suffer way to long before I had him PTS, he was hanging on for me more than he was himself.

I know how difficult this can be! You are a good cat meowmy, and did all that you could to help your baby with this debilitating disease!

If you read through my old thread you will see what you saved your baby from!
& to you at this most difficult time!

if you need to talk, Im right here.... theres alot of others who've lost their babies to FIP in 2007 also... Poor Saya lost two to that in two days...

By the way, Welcome to TCS! If you need to talk, you can pm me! (click on my name and go down to send private message)

RIP Precious little one, play happily and healthy over the bridge, If you get a minute look up my Glitch

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's shocking how many poor cats are losing their lifes to this horrific disease.

i lost my boy janet in oct last year and the days from him falling really sick to the awful day he was pts were among the worst in my life.

i have questioned so many times why it had to be him. he had a crappy start in life too, came from a 40 cat household where they lived in absolute squalour. when i got him from the rescue centre he was a pathetic looking creature that always got overlooked. with his manky teeth, polyps in his ears and heart murmur he was considered too risky for some.

i'll always be grateful he was overlooked though, cos i got to spend 5 years of love, laughter and craziness with that cat. he was my shadow.

you gave abby something that she probably hadn't known before, unconditonal love. she will always be with you. i firmly believe that we are placed with our cats for a good reason, she needed you and you didn't let her down.

RIP Abby.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. Just remember, you gave your kitty months of happiness, security and love, and I'm sure it was the happiest time of her short life. And, most importantly, you loved her enough to not want her to suffer. I know it's hard, but you did the best you could for her, and I'm sure she is grateful for it and for the time she spent with you.

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Remember, she had a very happy year with you. I'm sure you have lot's of good memories from that time. Rest in Peace Abby.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. We lost a very special boy to FIP a couple of years ago and it was so devastating! Your baby was very lucky to have your love!

dina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about your loss. It is hard but you have to think positively in these times. At least the baby is not suffering anymore and you did the right thing because you loved her. Again I am sorry for your loss...
RIP baby kitty

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on your difficult loss of Abby. I am so glad that before she crossed RB, she knew the security, comfort and love of a real family. Please know that we here at TCS are too, too familiar with the pain and grief that you are enduring and welcome your sharing with us- we want to be there for you
And Abby is over RB, pain-free and able to enjoy her eternal reward with all our other RB kitties, and those angels who have gone on before us

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So so sorry Lee-Anna
Abby was lucky to have you to show her what love is, even though the time was much too short. That love will be rewarded, when some time, long down the road, you will be reunited with your little Abby.
Take care. It just takes time to help heal the heart.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry
What a precious little angel Abby sounds

Your heart is breaking, but you made sure Abby had a quality of life by making sure she didn't suffer

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.

Beloved Abby

sadie'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Sorry to hear that you lost Abby, specially at a young age. I as well just lost my girl and she was young too. My thoughts are with you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lee-anna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank-you everyone for your supportive words. They have meant a great deal to me reading them everyday. I hope you do not mind that I have not responded until now. I have needed those kind words to help me heal and find that, day by day, your words have helped me to realize that I was a good Meowmy, that Abby had the most loving home she had ever known, and that she is no longer suffering, because we loved her enough to set her free.

Thankfully, I have my "first born" Ragdoll, Reggie to cheer me up as well, and it's like he realizes that I am grieving, as he has been even more of a love bug than usual (If that's possible! lol).

Thanks again everyone. The first few days were really tough, but since reading your responses, I find myself accepting the situation more each day.

Your support has meant so much to me, and I will forever be grateful.

Talk soon.

Lee-Anna
aka Reggie and angel-Abby's meowmy