Golden Kitty45 says
if they are show cats, then they should (in any breed) get used to baths and grooming from the beginning.
Right you are, Golden Kitty. A preshow bath is a prerequisite. Many of you "old timers" have seen our recipe for bathing a Turkish Van before, but there are sure to be some out there for whom this is new. When Samwise and Molly were on the show circuit, before they retired to the beach, this was our recipe for a preshow bath. Was it exciting!
Recipe for a Turkish Van Bath
1. Clip claws
2. Get Goop hand cleaner, (not the orange variety) at Wal-Mart or auto-parts store.
3. Get a small bucket and use a spatula to scoop out the goop.
4. Fill the goop container with shampoo (Acclaim, Flex, or just plain cheap stuff)
5. Pour shampoo in with the Goop and mix 50:50 with a whisk.
6. Microwave Goop mix for 40 seconds
7. Dilute â€œE-Z Groom Crystal White Shampooâ€ about 8:1 with water. Mix and microwave for 30 seconds (needs to be warm when you put it on the cat so if you have a helper you can wait to microwave)
8. Gather 3-4 old towels
9. Put on clothes that can get wet. Alternatively, remove clothes within realm of modesty. At times modesty itself has gone away as fur and water starts flying.
10. Take cat and Goop and towels into bathroom and shut door.
11. Put one towel folded on the floor in front of the bathtub so you can kneel (and perhaps pray).
12. Put cat in bathtub facing away from you and hold by the scruff of the neck. Don't be afraid to hold on hard, it doesn't hurt them. You can also try the armpit restraint method. Grab a front leg where the leg meets the shoulder and hold on tightly. You can hold both front legs or one depending on the cat.
13. With one hand, pour part of the Goop down the DRY cat's back and tail, and use hand application to get other parts. You can use the tail to mop up extra goop.
14. Work the Goop mix into the dry fur, making sure to get the arm and leg pits and chest. Go up the neck but don't do the face.
15. Dilute some mix (very dilute) and use a washcloth for the face if necessary, being careful not to get it in the eyes or ears (It burns)
16. Rinse the cat. If you have a bucket, use that, or if you have a hand held shower head you can bring the water to the cat. Rinse the head with a washcloth.
17. Make sure you get all the mix out of the cat, especially the underside, chest and arm and leg pits. The fur should be near squeaky clean. You can't rinse too much.
18. Put the warm dilute Crystal White on the cat and lather. You only need to get the white parts.
19. Take the cat out and wrap tightly in a towel so only the head is out (a cat taco).
20. Itâ€™s a good idea to use some cotton swabs to clean the ears at this point while the cat is a cat taco.
21. Wait 5-10 minutes. Apologize profusely and lie to cat, telling him itâ€™s almost over.
22. Unwrap and rinse well.
23. Apply Flex shampoo (green cap) to cat, lather and rinse, rinse, rinse. Diluting the shampoo slightly and pouring it over the cat is easier than putting the shampoo on full strength.
24. Rinse some more
25. Mix 1/3 cup white vinegar to one gallon water and pour over cat to rinse. Use a lot on the tail and chest area.
26. Rinse the cat so he doesnâ€™t smell like a pickle.
27. Wrap in a towel and apologize. Lie again, and say you will never bathe him again.
28. Unwrap, and use another towel or two to dry. Fluff the fur the wrong way for faster drying.
29. Vans are wash and wear, after you get as dry as possible with towels let your now unhappy cat go and groom. They get over the bathing thing fairly quickly though.
30 When the fur is partly dry you can brush it up to speed the process, but you don't have to.
31. Also optional: take pictures because your cat is funny when itâ€™s wet
32. If the cat is really squirrelly lift the cat partly in the air by the scruff. Much noise will probably be made but do not fall for the â€œpity meâ€ ruse.
Take a look at Samwise's photo in our siggy and you will see that this works.