TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Next Step: Choosing a Breeder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next Step: Choosing a Breeder - Page 2

post #31 of 46
Thread Starter 
I'm sure that this is a stupid question, but why doesn't CFA accept Bengals? Is it because it's a relatively new breed? I've always loved them, personally -- they are beautiful and have such great personalities!

I'm sorry for asking so many questions... But hey, we can't learn if we don't ask, right?

Thank you both for the further information! I'm sure that it will help both of us to get to where we want to be in terms of showing our cats!
post #32 of 46
CFA's policy is not to accept any cat breed that deals with any wild cat - since the Bengals were bred to the Asian Leopard Cat (wild cat) they will never be accepted no matter how many generations they are removed from the ALC.

Same goes for Savannahs and some of the newer breeds that may involved wild cat blood.

So until they (if ever) lift the policy, you won't see them in CFA show halls. I have heard that someone tried showing a Bengal in the HHP classes within the past year or so, and it was found out. The cat acted up in the ring pretty bad and that doesn't make it set well in the minds of the top CFA judges/executives!
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck View Post
I'm sure that this is a stupid question, but why doesn't CFA accept Bengals? Is it because it's a relatively new breed? I've always loved them, personally -- they are beautiful and have such great personalities!

I'm sorry for asking so many questions... But hey, we can't learn if we don't ask, right?

Thank you both for the further information! I'm sure that it will help both of us to get to where we want to be in terms of showing our cats!
One reason I came across is that they are considered "too wild" with CFA standards and they won't even acknowledge them as a breed. Someone please correct me if this is not accurate.
post #34 of 46
The closest you will get to a "wild cat" looking cat is the Ocicat - they are spotted like wild cats but 100% domestic cats (created from Aby/Siamese/American SH).

Charlie's a chocolate spotted Ocicat
post #35 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
So until they (if ever) lift the policy, you won't see them in CFA show halls. I have heard that someone tried showing a Bengal in the HHP classes within the past year or so, and it was found out. The cat acted up in the ring pretty bad and that doesn't make it set well in the minds of the top CFA judges/executives!
Ugh! That really irritates me. It brings to mind irresponsible owners of "bully breed" dogs who make a bad name for all of them.
post #36 of 46
I personally have met a couple of Bengals in CFA HHP rings (they were slipped through and the various show management were chided) over here and yes, unfortunately for the breed as a whole, on those occasions the cats did act up I have also met a few Bengals who are the most loving and wonderful cats around!
post #37 of 46
Has anyone is CFA realized all CATS have wild blood ... whether you beleive they came from Africa or Asia or Europe
post #38 of 46
Sharky,

Yes CFA realizes that the domestic cat decended from some wild cats, but that's not what they are talking about. They feel you should not be crossing a domestic cat with any kind of wild cat. That means, ALC, Bobcat, Servel, etc.

Has nothing to do with the original ancestors of the domestic cats.
post #39 of 46
At the next show I plan to take extensive notes on all the bengal breeders, I already picked up cards from the last one and checked off who I liked. I want to talk to those some more and hopefully meet some new ones. I will be finding out what generation, if they have contracts ( I really want a health guarantee), how much, if they are socialized etc. All that information will be compiled so I can make comparisons.
I am possibly thinking of getting a show alter to learn about the breed inside and out. That is something I could see myself doing and I know it requires a lot of time and care. I will know by the time I get one whether I want to pursue that or not.
What I want to know is what else should I be asking the breeders and should I mention the possibility of want to show an alter? I do not intend to breed at all and just want them to feel comfortable with me when I talk to them. I'm not pushy and I have been researching so I'm sure that will give them a better impression of someone who really cares and will know what to expect and what they are getting into by getting a bengal.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I am just biding my time to do research while I am saving up for a house that way I will be financially prepared and have plenty of space.
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
I am possibly thinking of getting a show alter to learn about the breed inside and out. That is something I could see myself doing and I know it requires a lot of time and care. I will know by the time I get one whether I want to pursue that or not.
What I want to know is what else should I be asking the breeders and should I mention the possibility of want to show an alter? I do not intend to breed at all and just want them to feel comfortable with me when I talk to them. I'm not pushy and I have been researching so I'm sure that will give them a better impression of someone who really cares and will know what to expect and what they are getting into by getting a bengal.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I am just biding my time to do research while I am saving up for a house that way I will be financially prepared and have plenty of space.
As a breeder/exhibitor, I am always appreciative when someone approaches me in a show hall and tells me :

1. That my cats are beautiful
2. That they have done some research on my chosen breed
3. That they would love to become a show home for my babies and would like me to "assist" or "mentor" them in the first few shows - especially for my show neuters.

However, having said that - I am NOT appreciative (and can be quite abrupt) when someone approaches me in a show hall when I am rushing towards the judging ring. I love to talk to people especially about Abyssinians- but only when I am benched, not at the judging ring!
post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abymummy View Post
As a breeder/exhibitor, I am always appreciative when someone approaches me in a show hall and tells me :

1. That my cats are beautiful
2. That they have done some research on my chosen breed
3. That they would love to become a show home for my babies and would like me to "assist" or "mentor" them in the first few shows - especially for my show neuters.

However, having said that - I am NOT appreciative (and can be quite abrupt) when someone approaches me in a show hall when I am rushing towards the judging ring. I love to talk to people especially about Abyssinians- but only when I am benched, not at the judging ring!
That I do realize! I only approach them when they are sitting with their cats in the cages. When judging, I also pay attention to how they judge, what breeders are in that ring, etc. Thanks so much for the advice. I already have a select few breeders that I have in mind, but want to get to know them better and see how they treat their cats. If I don't like the breeder, then it does not matter if I like their cats. It will be a continuing relationship even years after I get a bengal. They always amaze me with their curious nature and they really are very beautiful.
post #42 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abymummy View Post
As a breeder/exhibitor, I am always appreciative when someone approaches me in a show hall and tells me :

1. That my cats are beautiful
2. That they have done some research on my chosen breed
3. That they would love to become a show home for my babies and would like me to "assist" or "mentor" them in the first few shows - especially for my show neuters.

However, having said that - I am NOT appreciative (and can be quite abrupt) when someone approaches me in a show hall when I am rushing towards the judging ring. I love to talk to people especially about Abyssinians- but only when I am benched, not at the judging ring!
I've only been to a couple of shows, and those we attended purely by chance (went to the flea market and the fairgrounds and "wow, look! there's a cat show!"), but one thing I have always really enjoyed is finding out more about the different breeds that interest me (including, but not limited to, ocicats, Persians, Ragdolls, Abyssinians and Maine Coons). Seeing the expression on a breeder's face when you compliment them on their animals is simply priceless -- you'd almost think that they don't hear it very often, though I doubt they could ever hear it too much!

I like to watch the judging. Why on earth would somebody interrupt the actual show in order to talk to a breeder/owner?
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck View Post
I like to watch the judging. Why on earth would somebody interrupt the actual show in order to talk to a breeder/owner?
Some people do it to be annoying or they may not know any better.
post #44 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
Some people do it to be annoying or they may not know any better.


Let's play "annoy the breeder" and see how helpful they are when we're done!

I suppose that I can see somebody not understanding how important it is for the breeder to watch the judgings, if they are inexperienced, but I've always gone to shows to *learn* something, and how can you learn something if you *aren't paying attention!*
post #45 of 46
The other "bad" time to approach a person you want to talk to is when they are grooming their cats to take to the ring in a few mins before. They are concentrating on making the cat look its best.

You can watch and follow them up to the ring and after the judging, go back with them and talk to them



Otherwise, you can show interest in a future show alter. Breeders are always looking for someone to get their cats out there, but you have to be serious in wanting to show - not just one or two shows and quit
post #46 of 46
Thread Starter 
Which is the reason to start in the HHP I've learned a lot through this, and that's great!

I really love shows for gathering as much information on different breeds as possible. That's part of how I determined the breed that I'd like to work with, is by talking to breeders. They really are a friendly lot, provided that you approach them in a sensible way.

I'm really looking forward to this upcoming show, and can't wait to tell you all how it goes!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Next Step: Choosing a Breeder