New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to breed - Page 2

post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlyn View Post
There are a lot of unwanted pedigree cats in rescue shelters because they are over six years old so are to old to breed and are useless to the breeder ,for that reason they get sold off cheep because of there age and the fact they are retired from breeding .
I good breeder *never* puts their cats into shelters. In fact they accept back all cats they have sold rather than have the new owners put the cat into a shelter. A good breeder sees themselves as being responsible for every single life they have brought into this world, not just until they get sold but for life.

There are a few breeders around here and they will all tell you that their retired breeders (who are usually much younger than 3 years old because the cats aren't bred until they drop) are all placed in carefully selected pet homes just like any kitten they breed.

There are backyard breeders and kitten mills that don't treat their breeding cats or kittens well but there is a fundamental difference between a good breeder and a kitten mill.
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggav View Post
I good breeder *never* puts their cats into shelters. In fact they accept back all cats they have sold rather than have the new owners put the cat into a shelter. A good breeder sees themselves as being responsible for every single life they have brought into this world, not just until they get sold but for life.

There are a few breeders around here and they will all tell you that their retired breeders (who are usually much younger than 3 years old because the cats aren't bred until they drop) are all placed in carefully selected pet homes just like any kitten they breed.

There are backyard breeders and kitten mills that don't treat their breeding cats or kittens well but there is a fundamental difference between a good breeder and a kitten mill.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Breeding is just not putting two cats together. People think it is, when it's knowing the pedigrees, what's in those pedigrees, etc. etc. They also think it's a money maker. It isn't if you do it right, but people think oh wow, money. Sorry, if that's why you want to breed, you can forget it.

Are you going to quarantee your kittens? if it's just more moggies, why breed then? Go work at a shelter and foster kittens and try finding good homes for them. Shelters are full and need good helpers.

Work with rescuers to get early spaying/neutering done. There's so much you can do than bring more unwanted kittens into this world.

All breeders aren't bad but yes, there are those that are. You also find a lot of purebreeds in shelters not because always of the breeder, but because "pet" owners dump them.

Think long and hard, or you just might find yourself being raided one day with too many cats like your read on the news because you can't afford vet pills.
post #33 of 41
If the orginal poster has read other posts regarding the breedings of non-pedigreed cats, than I don't need to repeat myself. In short, I agree with the major majority, in that this cat should not be bred, and IMO, my first opinion is not the major reason I disagree with this cats breeding, my first opinion is it isn't papered, but the major reason I wouldn't breed this particular cat is her temperament. It is obvious you are going to do what you are going to do, after asking for opinions, the majority answers you, and you are going to disagree with the majority.
I am curious to the cats age, and if the temperament has always been unaccepting of other cats, or if the cat had a change at some point in its personality? If this is so, I would be curious to possible underlying health issue. If the personality of this girl has always loved people, and never wanted a feline companion, I can't imagine her changing her opinion on her own.
While we all say we love our animals as human children, and we give them human emotions, we have to honestly step back and realize that while we love our fur children, a mother cat has kittens, will wean them and then she is done with them, there isn't that emotional bond that a human mother has for her human child. A cat will breed its own offspring if allowed too, that isn't something that would be common in human behavior. This is also common myth, when people feel their cat should have just 'one' litter, as it wouldn't be fair to spay her and "deprive" her of the ability to have children. A cat doesn't have the emotions that humans have if they can't have children, if you read many articles on the internet about early/pediatric spay and neuter, and the factual studies, you will show how much healthier it is for your cat to be spayed or neutered.
I can certainly understand your desire to have more cats, even your desire to see certain traits your current cat does possess or possibly see her looks be passed on. Just also realize that while many of us may understand that desire, doesn't mean it is right or that we would condone it.
You are right about a purebred cat is no better than a mixed breed, and I don't think anyone here would say it was. The most memorable cat who ever owned me was a kitten that was born in my parents garage, I have no idea anything about the Mom or Dad, I was around 13 years old.
I would ask you to honestly look at many facets concerning your cat, and breeding her, and then to reconsider, after looking at all the aspects. Please think about trying a slower approach to bringing in another spayed or neutered cat, or keeping her and a new cat separated, if you have the room to do that.
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggav View Post
I good breeder *never* puts their cats into shelters. In fact they accept back all cats they have sold rather than have the new owners put the cat into a shelter. A good breeder sees themselves as being responsible for every single life they have brought into this world, not just until they get sold but for life.

There are a few breeders around here and they will all tell you that their retired breeders (who are usually much younger than 3 years old because the cats aren't bred until they drop) are all placed in carefully selected pet homes just like any kitten they breed.

There are backyard breeders and kitten mills that don't treat their breeding cats or kittens well but there is a fundamental difference between a good breeder and a kitten mill.
I would love to get to a day when the only option for a purebred cat or kitten is a responsible and reputable breeder.

Katie
post #35 of 41
Although I do agree breeding your mix is wrong I have to say the purebreds would probably have greater chances for gentic issues in the babiers rather then moggy mixes, depending of course upon the type of purebred, the lineage ect. Street or house cat Moggys have so much gentic mixing they are probably safer to breed then a good 30% of the purebreds IMO. The newer ones like bangels, savannahs and ocicats whose orgins were mixed with mixed with wild ancestery are safer then oh say persians, hairless spyenix's or new type siemese the really thin ones. Whenever you singal trait breed you will have problems sooner or later. Issues ARE out there its just like pet store kittens the truth is masked by lies and ignorence. Its not the breeders fualt its the fualt that no matter how hard we try we cannot play natures cards right all the time. The seimese is a good example, once upon a time all the seimeses looked alike old syle and healthy, now its different you see kittens who have bat ears and heart defects blindness,ect. Its even worse in dogs because its gone on for much longer, there are breeds that cannot even give birth by themselves anymore they have to be cut open or both the mom and babies die. (French Bulldogs)

I'm more agianst aiding more unwanted kittens to the world, they are WWWAAAYYY too many kittens out there. most will be put to death or die out in the wild. Please do not breed your cat, she's no more and less importent then a purebred its just we dont want anymore kittens in a kitten filled world. Foster a mom cat at a shelter.
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther pride View Post
Street or house cat Moggys have so much gentic mixing they are probably safer to breed then a good 30% of the purebreds IMO. The newer ones like bangels, savannahs and ocicats whose orgins were mixed with mixed with wild ancestery are safer then oh say persians, hairless spyenix's or new type siemese the really thin ones.
Just an FYI : Ocicats don't have any wild blood, just domestics were used. Bengals used the asian leopard cat and Savannahs use the afican serval.
post #37 of 41
Oh didnt know that, they look sort of like bangels I assumed they had a wild past too.

I loved charlie
post #38 of 41
Oci's were created with abys, siamese and a little American SH Depending on the breeder and how careful they are in studying pedigrees, you can breed problems or avoid them.

With moggys, you don't know WHAT is in the background and they are not necessarily healthier. For example, I know of some lines in the Cornish Rex that have heart problems and don't live past 10 yrs old (if that) - so I would avoid any rex with those lines. The ones that I used had good healthy lines. Spooky was 15 1/2 when he died; his grandparents/parents, etc. were 16-18 when they died. Spooky's litter sister just turned 16 in April.

Many breeders are now testing their cats for genetic problems and NOT breeding those that might cause problems up the road. But you have to also be aware of potential problems too and know what to ask, where to get your cats.


Just for those that are considering purebreds (of any breed); ask the breeder how old are his/her oldest cats and what you can expect lifetime wise.
post #39 of 41
I totally understand this. I understand how you feel, and can’t pay hundreds of dollars for a purebred cat to breed, or put that effort because you have a family. And I understand how it hurts that no one thinks cats should have kittens anymore. But… the more you talk to these people, the more you understand why.

My tabby, (snobby) was my cat when I was a child. (youth) And it was ok to let them out, breed and just sell the kittens to anyone. The sad thing is, I read in the papers such bad things people do to these kittens… there are so many abusive people out there, who have bought little kittens, beat them, because they like to climb up their leg because they are too small to jump, or go in heat are are really annoying. its so sad how people think and then get rid of them because they don’t like them anymore. There are people who buy cheap kittens for their dog to rip apart. I have read some really scary things in the paper that happens to kittens I don’t even want to mention here. So to breed and sell kittens to strangers for cheap, you have no idea who they are, or what would happen. Or you could do what I did and keep them or give them to family. but... it seems to never turn out good.

But I had a tabby when I was a child. And back then, all my cats could go outside sometimes. And I let her have kittens, spaying was to expensive at the time for me, so we just kicked her out when she was in heat. she had 2 boys and a girl. She was a good mother, but like your tabby she is a VERY MEAN CAT to ANYOTHER cat. We gave the girl kitten to my uncle, who one day lost her. and we kept the 2 boys. When the boys grew up she completely ignored them, she never went near them, and they would fight if they did. One day Both my boys ran away together. I guess they had enough of her. They were unhappy. And if I didn’t let them outside sometimes they would still be unhappy and stuck with her.
I’m lucky… my aunt would go to peoples house’s selling AVON, and she saw both my boy cats. She asked where did you get those cats, and the lady said she found them by the garbage at the mall (close to my house) and they were so thin, and starving. When I had them they were big and fat, and she got them fat again. My aunt called them by their name and they came… So I am so lucky, they could be dead if that woman didn’t find them. But there are SO MANY adult cats with out homes. For stupid reasons that we can prevent today if we only cared enough. Today snobby is 14 years old. And she is no longer snobby… since she is the only cat of the house, the house is hers, and she is a happy cat. When I moved out I wanted to take my cat, but my mother said no, she stays here because she is old and the move would be hard on her, and she is so happy. So I never took her. But I got new cats. They are half breeds and I took them because I knew they couldn’t find a home. But that’s a different story.

I only tell you this to know what might happen, or you can try it yourself. The choice is yours… but just know I tell you my story, because it hurts so much looking back, I had no idea what I put my cats through..
post #40 of 41
Oh I understand completely. I think most all of us did "wrong" things in the past that we didn't understand why it was so wrong. I'll admit my first cat Mitten was declawed on my parent's terms - not mine. But Mitten was a special cat - he still was allowed out during the day and he hunted/killed birds, rabbits, squirrels. He never had litter box problems or was a fear biter, etc.

Mitten was the exception of a declawed cat. I would never do it again; its not necessary. And I've seen/heard too many stories of problem cats - many of the problems stem from being declawed.

But we all should be willing to learn and listen to others. We want the best for our cats. Over years and in today's world its very different then 40-50 yrs ago. Too many sick/cruel people out there now to be worth letting cats roam unsupervised and not spayed/neutered.
post #41 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Oh I understand completely. I think most all of us did "wrong" things in the past that we didn't understand why it was so wrong. I'll admit my first cat Mitten was declawed on my parent's terms - not mine. But Mitten was a special cat - he still was allowed out during the day and he hunted/killed birds, rabbits, squirrels. He never had litter box problems or was a fear biter, etc.

Mitten was the exception of a declawed cat. I would never do it again; its not necessary. And I've seen/heard too many stories of problem cats - many of the problems stem from being declawed.

But we all should be willing to learn and listen to others. We want the best for our cats. Over years and in today's world its very different then 40-50 yrs ago. Too many sick/cruel people out there now to be worth letting cats roam unsupervised and not spayed/neutered.
Yeah but it hasn’t only changed in the last 40 and 50 years, but also the last 10 and 20 years. There are still so many people who need to be educated, including myself. And your right I was just reading the debate about the guy who is going around picking up lost animals and taking them in to his shop and killing them, he makes me ill. If I really had to go around and pick up all the lost cats I would spay/neuter and send them back. So if they are strays they would be a lot happier and if they have homes and the owner can’t be bothered to fix, it could be done for them. I mean that’s just a better idea rather than picking up any cat you can find and killing them.

I know what you mean, my childhood cat was declawed and she handled it really well, so I declawed my next cat and she didn’t handle it so well, she has pain in her front feet, once in a while, and I don’t know if it is her breed, or if it was me, but I have never and will never declaw again, because if it is my fault, how can I ever do that again and live with myself? The vet told me it was ok, but the longer you live with cats the more you understand what they need, why god made them that way. My other baby still has her claws and it saved her life, she could have fallen 3 stories if she didn’t have claws to catch herself. And grab a hold of the window.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding