TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › friskies and fancy feast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

friskies and fancy feast

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
hi, i know there's probably a ton of threads on this, but i havent been on in a while and i just want a quick concensus... friskies and fancy feast, i have cans of the wet food and i'm afraid to give it to my baby eventhough i dont think it's on THE list of the foods that were effected. just wondering. thanks guys, nice to be back too
post #2 of 29
I would hold off ... reason my vet has seen the ARF cases in cats not eating recalled food... Right now I am feeding only NON MENU made cans without wheat or wheat gluten
post #3 of 29
I would wait. I've been feeding the Friskies as I was assured it's perfectly fine (and it's the only canned food Worm and Jake will eat) but now I have 3 cats vomiting. They haven't done this much before. I have now stopped feeding wet food and only feed dry. We would use the "loaf" style of Friskies as it has no wheat gluton, but the boys hate that style. (Can you say picky. LOL)
post #4 of 29
I have 3 cats and have always fed them a combination of Fancy Feast canned and Max dry cat food. Sometimes I feed them Fancy Feast dry cat food. I do not see these items on the banned list even though Max is made by Nutro I believe. However lately I'm noticing my oldest cat Zena (she's 13) is becoming a bit lethargic...I don't know if its old age or a disease process going on or what? This whole thing with the contaminated foods has got me hyper vigilant and scared. I'm wondering if I should change her diet or take her to the vet..which I hate to do...she gets so nervous just being in the carrier she poops and pees before we even get to the office. Last time we were there the vet couldn't clip her nails because she became fractious. The other 2 cats are ok and eat the same food.
post #5 of 29
granted i may be wrong, but i was under the impression that fancy feast,
was not made by menu foods?
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
granted i may be wrong, but i was under the impression that fancy feast,
was not made by menu foods?
Even if it is not made by menu foods, it does contain wheat gluten & many are being overly cautious.
post #7 of 29
correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't ONLY THE "CUTS N GRAVY" style canned food tainted?

So that means the other types (chunky, etc) are safe, whether they contain wheat gluten or not...???

WHAT CANNED FOOD DOSEN'T CONTAIN W.G???
post #8 of 29
See I was going to make a thread about this yesterday, i was worried as well! We are currently only feeding whiskas and we have friskies and fancy feast but theres alot of their food that has wheat glueton, but I am also worried for the fact that they Purina get their wheat stuff from china, if u read their F.A.Q section u will see that, so with Fancy feast I am not feeding that, now with friskies same as fancy feast their are ones made with out what glueton we got a box of friskies the variety pack with mixed grill, salmon dinner, and turkey and gibblets which are clear from what glueton! All I would do is check the ingredients of things when u buy it just to be safe u know, my mom bought the wrong fancy feast variety pack there is one of the variety packs that doesnt have wheat glueton but I cant remember which one!
post #9 of 29
I don't think I'd feed it to them........I like to feed FF as a rare treat to some of mine, but since this all started I don't feel safe doing so. Right now, they're eating their Rx dry food, and any treats they get are going to be Gerber baby food or boiled chicken.

Out of extreme paranoia, I threw away about 15 cans of FF. I don't think they're on the list, but the list has grown exponentially since the recall started so I don't even want to risk it. My luck says as soon as I feed it, it would hit the list the next day. I just don't even want to go there.
post #10 of 29
Before the recall I was feeding science diet advnaced protection dry and fancy feast and Science Diet Canned (not cuts and gravy though thank god!!!) I brought back almost all the Fancy feast because for 2 reasons. One, the kinds I had had wheat Gluten and they are getting it from china (read on their website) and Two, I just noticed the other kinds are made in Thailand which makes me nervous. Tops markets was really good about it, I just gathered up old reciepts and brought them back for a refund. The girl at the cournter said she did the same thing with all her store bought food. As for the SD wet food, I havent decided what to do with it because I cannot find the reciepts for them and I bought them from petsmart. Since they are "safe" I may give them to a friend.

I switced them to natural balance dry and wet and the tranisition was easy. They love it and no tummy problems and they have both had solid Bowel movements. (although shamus's bowel movements smell even worse then before which I didnt Think was possible ) I like the fact that they use only American and New Zealand ingredients (the lamb and venison is imported from New Zealand) and do not get any ingredients from china. Their food contains no wheat and no corn.
post #11 of 29
i am not using any FF or Friskies with wheat gluten. so that is a select few of loaf style foods. i returned everything else (that i could). the stuff i couldn't return (lost receipts and don't know where i bought them) are sitting in the closet until this mess is over with.

but i am also phasing them out. they only get it for one meal (and they are starting to prefer the healthy stuff, so the FF isn't getting eaten too well). and i am refusing to buy any more FF or Friskies. the rest of their meals are Merrick, Natural Balance, Meow Mix pouches and sheba tubs as a treat. we're still experimenting to see what other foods they might like.

we also switched to Natural Balance kibble and they are really liking it.
post #12 of 29
Wow--Littleraven7726, I could have written your post. I am in the exact situation and have switched to same foods (we also have Hills Rx c/d ).

At first I was bummed out because my cats LOVED the FF wet (a few times a week at most). But I think it's best to 'phase them out' as you said.

I am noticing some overall changes in my cats as they get older and I want to remain as consistant as possible with regard to a better diet. I had just finished typing in the 'better food' thread that we cannot underestimate the benefits of a high quality diet for our pets.

I have a bunch of FF cans both regular and the new gourmet ones (both say containing wheat gluten) sitting in the closet with dismal futures.
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I would hold off ... reason my vet has seen the ARF cases in cats not eating recalled food... Right now I am feeding only NON MENU made cans without wheat or wheat gluten
Sharky, did your vet say which non-recalled foods these ARF cats had been eating? I am staying away from all Menu and wheat gluten too but I am just curious.
post #14 of 29
I just checked with my vet a few minutes ago. As of right now Friday April 6, Fancy Feast canned is not on the banned list of pet foods.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
Even if it is not made by menu foods, it does contain wheat gluten & many are being overly cautious.

Not all of Fancy Feast contains wheat gluten, in fact there are many of the flavors that do not contain it.This is what I have been feeding my kitten of 20 weeks old mixed with Royal Canin dry kitten food. Like any other brand you must read the ingredants. Many pet owners are making thier own food but I am hearing this is ok for now but should not be done for the long term. Just read your cans ingrediants and you should be all right
post #16 of 29
I have faith in some brands that I probably should not (cat food wise), although I can tell you one thing - I do not have ANY faith in ANY wheat gluten. Regardless of ANY list I am not serving any wheat gluten here.
post #17 of 29
The FF 36 can seafood gormet pack has 3 differant flavors and none contain wheat or wheat gluten
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
I have faith in some brands that I probably should not (cat food wise), although I can tell you one thing - I do not have ANY faith in ANY wheat gluten. Regardless of ANY list I am not serving any wheat gluten here.
Umm that is me ...
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Umm that is me ...
And me too, but I tend to be paranoid!
post #20 of 29
There is also another brand, Sheba, which is quite expensive. The main ingrediants in Sheba are meat/chicken/fish. This is virtually people quality food. Their products do not contain wheat or corn gluten but tapioca for thickening. I've bought a couple cans of Sheba for my cats and the food was scarfed down in minutes. It is pretty expensive but I had a coupon for buy one get one free.
post #21 of 29
FishTreatsMom~~

A friend of mine uses Sheba and swears by it; I never tried it but plan on adding it to my variety of treat foods. I didnt' think it was a comprehensive food? (meaning as the exclusive diet).

And I thought I remembered reading about more by-products than I liked? Either way, every person says it's a hit. So if it's wheat gluten free and without too much unneeded filler I am all for an additional wet.

My only doubt is my cats actually dislike cut/strip style wet foods (something I am rather relieved about now).
post #22 of 29
Is the Sheba cut style food? I've been looking for something to hide my cat's pill in that doesn't have wheat gluten, wheat, or fish in it, but it has to be something I can hide a small 1/2 of a pill in- she finds it in the loaf style foods. Right now I've been putting it in a Friskies hairball treat, as she only has to have one of those to get it down, but it has wheat gluten...
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsallover View Post
Is the Sheba cut style food? I've been looking for something to hide my cat's pill in that doesn't have wheat gluten, wheat, or fish in it, but it has to be something I can hide a small 1/2 of a pill in- she finds it in the loaf style foods. Right now I've been putting it in a Friskies hairball treat, as she only has to have one of those to get it down, but it has wheat gluten...
I believe it is "shredded" but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jpawz is correct, it's for "intermittant or supplemental" feeding only.
post #24 of 29
Oh, no no no... not Fancy Feast! This is the first I've heard of FF being made with ingredients from China -- we've been feeding it to our crew all along, and we were so delighted that it wasn't under suspicion!

Our kitties all seem to be fine, but... now I'm scared.

Maybe it's time to go to Natural Balance. Do we all feel sure that's a safe one? Does anyone know anything potentially bad about it?
post #25 of 29
The sheba tubs are shredded. Usually my boys do not like cuts or shredded foods but they love some of the sheba, like the tuna and mussle (it smells horrible ). That would probably be easy to hide something in.

I do feed some friskies and FF canned, looking at what I have, I don't see wheat gluten in any of it. Unless everyone is referring to the types with gravy or the FF melodies. Petfooddirect and petco's sites do list ingredients, if anyone wants to check by flavor and type without standing in the store checking can by can.
post #26 of 29
Thanks, yes, that sounds better than standing in the store telling a 3 year old "Shhh! Mommy's trying to think."
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
Oh, no no no... not Fancy Feast! This is the first I've heard of FF being made with ingredients from China -- we've been feeding it to our crew all along, and we were so delighted that it wasn't under suspicion!

Our kitties all seem to be fine, but... now I'm scared.

Maybe it's time to go to Natural Balance. Do we all feel sure that's a safe one? Does anyone know anything potentially bad about it?
Just to clarify, no one (that I know of ) knows for sure that there are ingredients from China in FF. However, like I said above...I don't trust any wheat gluten. There are some FF with NO wheat gluten. Food for thought.

I'm not aware of anything potentially bad about Natural Balance.
post #28 of 29
I just wanted to say that I've been feeding my cat the Cod, Sole & Shrimp flavour for a long time and she's okay. It doesn't contain the wheat gluten. Hope this helps.



post #29 of 29
i can say that their are some FF flavors that doesnt have wheat glueton u just have to check for it at the store, we are trying to avoid that, and also on purina's page if u go to the FAQ section it tells u that they get their wheat glueton and such from China! The just havent recieved any contaminated except at the one plant! I think i need to stop worrying so much I read that FAQ section about 8,000 times I myself am not trusting many pet foods anymore and staying away from wheat glueton as much as i can! However I do trust whiskas for some reason Also I got some treats made by purina and when ever I fed them to bella she started to have coughing spills and such and it was weird because soon as i stopped giving her those treats she was fine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › friskies and fancy feast