friskies and fancy feast

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FishTreatsMom~~

A friend of mine uses Sheba and swears by it; I never tried it but plan on adding it to my variety of treat foods. I didnt' think it was a comprehensive food? (meaning as the exclusive diet).

And I thought I remembered reading about more by-products than I liked? Either way, every person says it's a hit. So if it's wheat gluten free and without too much unneeded filler I am all for an additional wet.

My only doubt is my cats actually dislike cut/strip style wet foods (something I am rather relieved about now).

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the Sheba cut style food? I've been looking for something to hide my cat's pill in that doesn't have wheat gluten, wheat, or fish in it, but it has to be something I can hide a small 1/2 of a pill in- she finds it in the loaf style foods. Right now I've been putting it in a Friskies hairball treat, as she only has to have one of those to get it down, but it has wheat gluten...

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Is the Sheba cut style food? I've been looking for something to hide my cat's pill in that doesn't have wheat gluten, wheat, or fish in it, but it has to be something I can hide a small 1/2 of a pill in- she finds it in the loaf style foods. Right now I've been putting it in a Friskies hairball treat, as she only has to have one of those to get it down, but it has wheat gluten...
I believe it is "shredded" but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jpawz is correct, it's for "intermittant or supplemental" feeding only.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no no no... not Fancy Feast! This is the first I've heard of FF being made with ingredients from China -- we've been feeding it to our crew all along, and we were so delighted that it wasn't under suspicion!

Our kitties all seem to be fine, but... now I'm scared.

Maybe it's time to go to Natural Balance. Do we all feel sure that's a safe one? Does anyone know anything potentially bad about it?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sheba tubs are shredded. Usually my boys do not like cuts or shredded foods but they love some of the sheba, like the tuna and mussle (it smells horrible
). That would probably be easy to hide something in.

I do feed some friskies and FF canned, looking at what I have, I don't see wheat gluten in any of it.
Unless everyone is referring to the types with gravy or the FF melodies. Petfooddirect and petco's sites do list ingredients, if anyone wants to check by flavor and type without standing in the store checking can by can.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yes, that sounds better than standing in the store telling a 3 year old "Shhh! Mommy's trying to think."

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh, no no no... not Fancy Feast! This is the first I've heard of FF being made with ingredients from China -- we've been feeding it to our crew all along, and we were so delighted that it wasn't under suspicion!

Our kitties all seem to be fine, but... now I'm scared.

Maybe it's time to go to Natural Balance. Do we all feel sure that's a safe one? Does anyone know anything potentially bad about it?
Just to clarify, no one (that I know of ) knows for sure that there are ingredients from China in FF. However, like I said above...I don't trust any wheat gluten. There are some FF with NO wheat gluten. Food for thought.

I'm not aware of anything potentially bad about Natural Balance.

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say that I've been feeding my cat the Cod, Sole & Shrimp flavour for a long time and she's okay. It doesn't contain the wheat gluten. Hope this helps.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i can say that their are some FF flavors that doesnt have wheat glueton u just have to check for it at the store, we are trying to avoid that, and also on purina's page if u go to the FAQ section it tells u that they get their wheat glueton and such from China! The just havent recieved any contaminated except at the one plant! I think i need to stop worrying so much I read that FAQ section about 8,000 times
I myself am not trusting many pet foods anymore and staying away from wheat glueton as much as i can! However I do trust whiskas for some reason
Also I got some treats made by purina and when ever I fed them to bella she started to have coughing spills and such and it was weird because soon as i stopped giving her those treats she was fine