RX Cat Food

Vasya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why are Vets pushing RX food with low quality ingredients? I understand that they make $ on them, but isn't the Kitty's health more important?

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Their usually is a need for RX foods, most vets won't prescribe it willy nilly. And you would be getting a script to buy it wherever you want.

What type of RX food is the vet recommending? Kidney and liver issues are no joke.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
RX foods have long term peer reviewed studies to show that they work for the conditions they are provided for.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I also don't understand why we can't have rx diets without grains like corn and rice. I mean youd think they could make it without ingredients that cause rashes and constipation.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also don't understand why we can't have rx diets without grains like corn and rice. I mean youd think they could make it without ingredients that cause rashes and constipation.
Corn and rice allergies aren't very common and used as a cheap pet food filler for half a century.

Rice in particular is usually well tolerated, RX food formulas using them are extensively studied and documented. Clinal studies are expensive, companies aren't going to bother testing alternative carb sources if it doesn't serve a purpose.

But, yeah, if you have a cat in the house with a food allergy or diabetes those RX foods are a pain to deal with.
I've had 2 cats that rhave reactions to carageenan both Royal Canine and Purina still use it in their RX foods. It's already a hassle to feed cats separately, much bigger hassle to make sure nothing is cross contaminated. And many cats on RX foods are already poor eaters not being able to leave food out in multi&cat gimes means having to feed them 4-8 times a day.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a few cats that got hives after eating food with corn in it so either its really common or maybe its just the local gene pool? Idk. If you must get perscription food try to get the cans they usualy have less grains and fillers. Canned food is better for cats anyways.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had a few cats that got hives after eating food with corn in it so either its really common or maybe its just the local gene pool? Idk. If you must get perscription food try to get the cans they usualy have less grains and fillers. Canned food is better for cats anyways.
I think you're correct about corn. I was generalizing about rice.
Most RX wet foods contain rice. (Hill's, Royal Canine, Purina, Forza).
Blue uses potatoes instead of rice (which is probably a better carb source) but they also add peas, blueberries, cranberries, and three different kinds of "gums" to make sure there are plenty of allergens in there and inappropriate ingredients in there
I personally haven't come across corn in RX food or any premium non-rx cat food. AFAIK it's mainly in budget lowest quality brands.

I totally forgot prescription dry food exists... weird concept.