TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Getting stains out of carpet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Getting stains out of carpet?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know of a product that works really well at getting stains out of carpet... like RED KOOL-AID!?
John left a class of Cherry Kool-Aid on the end table in the living room and thank god there was only a little bit in there, but of course, the cats knocked it over on my carpet

I NEED to get it out since we rent- its driving me NUTS!!

HELP!!
post #2 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley View Post
Does anyone know of a product that works really well at getting stains out of carpet... like RED KOOL-AID!?
John left a class of Cherry Kool-Aid on the end table in the living room and thank god there was only a little bit in there, but of course, the cats knocked it over on my carpet

I NEED to get it out since we rent- its driving me NUTS!!

HELP!!
I would suggest 409, I think it works well. Good luck on getting that out.

We just put down new flooring in the living room(got rid of carpet) and Im thinking carpet was easier to keep clean,lol.
post #3 of 26
I used Simple Green on the carpet in my office when I spilled spaghetti sauce on it..I think its called that
post #4 of 26
My mom uses Spot Shot for everything. Its worth a try!
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys.... John took my car to work today so now I have to wait til tonight to get anything.... I have some REsolve, I think its called... I'll have to try that.
Do you guys know of anything that will take out older stains too?
post #6 of 26
I'd try a tiny bit of dish detergent. It's gotten every stain out of carpets I've tried... but Kool-Aid has lots of color. You might try a dab of Shout Gel, and then a little OxyClean. It's an unbeatable combo.
post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
I'd try a tiny bit of dish detergent. It's gotten every stain out of carpets I've tried... but Kool-Aid has lots of color. You might try a dab of Shout Gel, and then a little OxyClean. It's an unbeatable combo.
I'll have to try that- thanks!
post #8 of 26
Did you try old-fashioned club soda? Someone told me Shout stain stick works well. There's supposedly some new Tide stain pen that's alsp supposed to be good.
post #9 of 26
Try the Dryel stain remover.

Yes, I Know its for clothes, but B swears by it. He says it'll take out any stains.

I haven't tried it on cat hairballs, but I am using Spot Shot right now. That gets up the cat yukes.
post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
Try the Dryel stain remover.

Yes, I Know its for clothes, but B swears by it. He says it'll take out any stains.

I haven't tried it on cat hairballs, but I am using Spot Shot right now. That gets up the cat yukes.
Really? Maybe I'll try something like that tonight when I go to the store. The stuff I had didn't even TOUCH it!! AHhhhhh!! Its driving me nuts
post #11 of 26
I use Folex for all the carpet stain events in our house. It's very effective, and safe around critters.
post #12 of 26
My stain book says:
for carpeting......Blot do not rub up all the liquid. Mix up 1 T laundry detergent to 1 cup water. Dampen sponge with this solution and blot stain. The dye in Kool-aid is causing the stain. If still fresh you could neutralize with 1 T ammonia in 1 cup water. Then rub table salt into the stain and let it sit. remove salt and repeat if necessary then rinse (by blotting with just water).
One product I found effective is called TECH. Its made in WI and I have bought it at (Mills) Fleet Farm-it can be found at hardware stores and I haven't checked grocery stores. www.techstainremover.com. When I 1st bought it several yrs ago one person told me it got red fingernail polish off of carpeting.
Hope this info helps.
post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
My stain book says:
for carpeting......Blot do not rub up all the liquid. Mix up 1 T laundry detergent to 1 cup water. Dampen sponge with this solution and blot stain. The dye in Kool-aid is causing the stain. If still fresh you could neutralize with 1 T ammonia in 1 cup water. Then rub table salt into the stain and let it sit. remove salt and repeat if necessary then rinse (by blotting with just water).
One product I found effective is called TECH. Its made in WI and I have bought it at (Mills) Fleet Farm-it can be found at hardware stores and I haven't checked grocery stores. www.techstainremover.com. When I 1st bought it several yrs ago one person told me it got red fingernail polish off of carpeting.
Hope this info helps.
Its dry now, it happened over night.... would the laundry detergent still work?

We have a Mills here, maybe I'll go there tonight to look for that TECH stuff...
post #14 of 26
Whatever you use, once you get it damp with the cleaner - blot, blot, blot

I fold a towel, lay it on the stain, then basically run in place on the towel. Keep turning the towel to use a fresh dry part of it. Here we call it the "vomit dance" but I would bet the Kool Aid dance would work too.
post #15 of 26
I haven't tried it on red stains yet, but Woolite Oxy Deep does a good job on carpets. I suggested it to someone on another forum for ink stains on white carpet (her dog chewed a blue pen- blue lipped dog, too, but just soap and water for her ), and she said it did a pretty good job. Walmart has it- blue bottle with a red top . Good luck!
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
I use Folex for all the carpet stain events in our house. It's very effective, and safe around critters.
Yep, that's what I use as well. I've never had to use it on red KoolAid though! that is almost impossible to get out! However...I'll tell you that I've sprayed it on BLACK spray paint on beige carpeting and it has taken out every single bit of it! The stuff is grrrrreat!


Hilda >^..^<
post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^< View Post
Yep, that's what I use as well. I've never had to use it on red KoolAid though! that is almost impossible to get out! However...I'll tell you that I've sprayed it on BLACK spray paint on beige carpeting and it has taken out every single bit of it! The stuff is grrrrreat!


Hilda >^..^<
Where do you purchase it at?
post #18 of 26
Kenz...pretty much anywhere. I think I got mine at Home Depot but I believe Wal*Mart and most grocery stores have it as well.


Hilda >^..^<
post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^< View Post
Kenz...pretty much anywhere. I think I got mine at Home Depot but I believe Wal*Mart and most grocery stores have it as well.


Hilda >^..^<
I'll have to check at Walmart- THANKS Hilda!
post #20 of 26
You're welcome sweets! Good luck with it, I hope it works!

Hilda >^..^<
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley View Post
Where do you purchase it at?
There's a retailer locator (by state) on the site I posted.
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
There's a retailer locator (by state) on the site I posted.
Hey, that's very helpful!

Hilda >^..^<
post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
My stain book says:
for carpeting......Blot do not rub up all the liquid. Mix up 1 T laundry detergent to 1 cup water. Dampen sponge with this solution and blot stain. The dye in Kool-aid is causing the stain. If still fresh you could neutralize with 1 T ammonia in 1 cup water. Then rub table salt into the stain and let it sit. remove salt and repeat if necessary then rinse (by blotting with just water).
One product I found effective is called TECH. Its made in WI and I have bought it at (Mills) Fleet Farm-it can be found at hardware stores and I haven't checked grocery stores. www.techstainremover.com. When I 1st bought it several yrs ago one person told me it got red fingernail polish off of carpeting.
Hope this info helps.
Well, the Laundry Detergent thing didnt work

Since its dry, will that TECH stuff work?
post #24 of 26
I don't know about the TECH stuff Kenz but the Folex will work on wet or dry.

Hey, I just remembered something interesting that might prove helpful: A few weeks ago, Alex Jr had a terrible cold...coughing 'n such. He got a bottle of RED cough syrup and shook it up (I guess just to make sure it was All Shook Up I guess)...anyway, the lid wasn't on tightly and OMGoodness!!! RED all over the place in my bedroom...walls & carpetting! The hubby called me and I walked in there and I saw Alex Jr standing there stunned and the hubby laying in the bed shocked...and RED on walls and floor! I panicked because it looked like something else...(like something out of a horror movie reeeeally)! Anyway, I'm happy to say that the FOLEX was able to remove everything off the carpets!

Hilda >^..^<
post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^< View Post
I don't know about the TECH stuff Kenz but the Folex will work on wet or dry.

Hey, I just remembered something interesting that might prove helpful: A few weeks ago, Alex Jr had a terrible cold...coughing 'n such. He got a bottle of RED cough syrup and shook it up (I guess just to make sure it was All Shook Up I guess)...anyway, the lid wasn't on tightly and OMGoodness!!! RED all over the place in my bedroom...walls & carpetting! The hubby called me and I walked in there and I saw Alex Jr standing there stunned and the hubby laying in the bed shocked...and RED on walls and floor! I panicked because it looked like something else...(like something out of a horror movie reeeeally)! Anyway, I'm happy to say that the FOLEX was able to remove everything off the carpets!

Hilda >^..^<

Wow! I'll definately have to try it, I really hope it works!!
post #26 of 26
I'm an astmatic and highly allergic to chemicals. I use TKO orange concentrate for everything. Check out the link. For carpet, I start with a very wet cloth (water only) wiping up as much as I can. Then I spray the TKO. You'll read somewhere in there that there may sometimes appear to be a haze after it dries. If so, that's all it is and gentle wet wiping will take it away. This stuff is great, non-toxic and smells wonderful.

You mix different strength for different needs, good for everything. For normal household cleaning, one capful for a 25oz bottle. An 8oz bottle of concentrate costs about $15 and one bottle lasts me several months. That's a huge savings. I'm not sure if supermarkets carry it. I get it a a health food store or a farm/feed store.

http://www.tkoorange.com/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Getting stains out of carpet?