Question of the Day, Sunday May 12th

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you ever contacted an author or celebrity and they answered?

When May Cobb wrote her first novel, I was so impressed that I emailed her to tell her how much I liked it. I told her my user name on Amazon and she read my review. She was simply lovely in her response. I recently checked to see if she had any other books out and found that she has hit the big time. It may take awhile, but eventually I will buy all her books.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never. I have only met one celebrity- Lloyd Bridges- and author- Lauren Fix- in my life, and while it involved a brief conversation, that was it. My brother-in-law, on the other hand, got a nice letter and autographed photo from James Earl Jones.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, two! I wrote to Professor A. Lloyd Moote in the 80s. He wrote the best biography of Louis XIII I ever read. Also wrote to Professor Joseph Bergin asking about something in one of his early books about Cardinal Richelieu. He not only explained what he meant, but complimented me on reading it at all, since he said in hindsight it was really badly written! 😆

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Never contacted any before meeting them- I have met many celebrities over the years living in Manhattan and because I frequented the same places that so many celebrities did as well.

Phone numbers were exchanged and so the answer is ' yes" - two of those chance meetings turned into friendships that have withstood the test of time and we are still in contact over half a Century later

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When one of our daughters was young she fell in love with the book, Stellaluna, by Janell Cannon. She wrote to her and received a letter back. The other daughter was a big fan of Jane Goodall and her work with primates. She also had contact with her.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does tweeting at someone and them responding count? Outside of that, no I've never received a response from contacting a celebrity. I think I've only sent a letter to two celebrities in my life and one was when I was 11.

For the tweets, I've sent one to Kenny Loggins asking him to wish my mom (his biggest fan) a happy 50th birthday, which he did. I recommended a book to a comedian, Sarah Colonna, (she was asking for recs) and she read it and then referenced me in another tweet saying she loved the book too. There are a bunch of others too, but I can't remember them all, they weren't significant interactions obviously.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did, but unfortunately I can't remember her name. I read her first two novels and really enjoyed them, so I emailed her and told her. I also expressed a wish that it would not be long before I could get the third and final in the series. She emailed me back, but I can't remember what she said. It was quite a long time ago. I don't know if I ever did get the third book to finish the series.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, yes! Tweeting counts. :clap:

Denzel Washington's wife is from a small town nearby. They were here for a funeral and she was doing home health for one of her relatives. She came in and there he was, sitting in the living room. They introduced him and she was so starstruck that she didn't even say hello.

My buddy snubbed Denzel. :lol: :disappointed:

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t remember contacting anyone. My mom and I sent a Get Well card to Gloria Estefan after her bus accident and got a reply. I don’t think I paid that much attention when we got it. Mom was more excited than I was. :lol:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I emailed the Tragically Hip and one of them answered. I can't remember which one.