Harness?

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been thinking about getting a harness for one of my kitties (the other 2 cats in my house show no interest in the outdoors).

But I have a few questions/concerns:

1. What type of harness should I get (I know it should be one for a cat and not a dog right?)

2. My kitty has really long fur so velcro may pose a problem.

3. He is also only 8 months old and around 13 pounds, so he is kinda a big boy, so the harness must be big enough, obviously (all the ones I've seen at pet stores have been teeny tiny).

4. Does anybody have any recomendations for harnesses. Particularly something he'd have a really hard time getting out of?

5. Am I better off using a pet stroller?

Many thanks in advance from Tesla and I :)

Last edited:

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has a Go With Me Kitty Harness with Bungee Leash. When it's too loose she can wriggle out and it's made of straps so it might be uncomfortable. There are these mesh one that look like a cat jacket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
smile123 smile123

I have seen the mesh ones too, but all the ones I have seen are TINY and my cat is a big boy and wouldn't fit into one of those tiny things. I don't really trust the strappy ones like the Go With Me Kitty ones. It seems like they'd be waaaay to easy to get out of. They also seem very uncomfortable.

I think this is the strongest contender in my search thus far (even though it has velcro closures):

https://www.etsy.com/listing/252350226/escape-proof-when-sized-and-fitted?ref=shop_home_active_29#

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think a dog harness can be used, as long as it's the right size. Maybe you could get a couple harnesses to try and if they don't fit well return it.

antisockcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know you already purchased that one, and I expect it'll work great.

In the future, or for anyone else reading this thread, this is what I would look for in a harness:
-buckles or attaches higher up on the body, so you can easily spot if the harness is coming undone
-thicker/more padded around the chest, so pulling results in pressure to the chest instead of the neck
-adjustable, especially if it goes around the neck, so you can ensure it fits snugly
-does not have a thin loop on the lower neck (our cats would immediately duck their heads and grab that strap in their mouths, no matter how tight)

Picture is a random example from Google. This kind is put on by placing the front legs in and pulling the harness around the body to buckle over the back.

I don't mean to say your choice was a bad one! I used to work at a dog daycare and saw dozens of different types in action. In my experience these types were comfiest and most secure.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know you already purchased that one, and I expect it'll work great.

In the future, or for anyone else reading this thread, this is what I would look for in a harness:
-buckles or attaches higher up on the body, so you can easily spot if the harness is coming undone
-thicker/more padded around the chest, so pulling results in pressure to the chest instead of the neck
-adjustable, especially if it goes around the neck, so you can ensure it fits snugly
-does not have a thin loop on the lower neck (our cats would immediately duck their heads and grab that strap in their mouths, no matter how tight)

Picture is a random example from Google. This kind is put on by placing the front legs in and pulling the harness around the body to buckle over the back.

I don't mean to say your choice was a bad one! I used to work at a dog daycare and saw dozens of different types in action. In my experience these types were comfiest and most secure.
The one that I got is custom made to his measurements, and it has both velcro and buckle closures for extra security. The buckles and the ends of the velcro are high, pretty much on his back and it is completely adjustable (I asked the shop owner to make it nice and adjustable because Tesla is only 8 months old and still has some growing to do).

Also, the strip that goes around his neck is about 2 inches wide at the thinnest part. And the shop owner assured me that he should not be able to slip out of it if it has been fitted correctly.

I know my cat does not like things touching his chest so the one you suggested probably wouldn't be a good fit (plus I don't really trust the ones with thin straps. I feel like he'd be able to slip out of them in a second). He doesn't mind things going around his neck (at least he doesn't mind his collar and has never managed to get that in his mouth/ slip out of it when it was fitted correctly. He doesn't particularly like things going around his belly so that will be something to get used to for him (but I will be sure to get him nice and used to the harness before I attempt to take him outside in it).

I just wanted to clarify more about this harness because I know from the picture it looks like just a velcro walking jacket, but mine will also have buckles for extra security.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one that I got is custom made to his measurements, and it has both velcro and buckle closures for extra security. The buckles and the ends of the velcro are high, pretty much on his back and it is completely adjustable (I asked the shop owner to make it nice and adjustable because Tesla is only 8 months old and still has some growing to do).

Also, the strip that goes around his neck is about 2 inches wide at the thinnest part. And the shop owner assured me that he should not be able to slip out of it if it has been fitted correctly.

I know my cat does not like things touching his chest so the one you suggested probably wouldn't be a good fit (plus I don't really trust the ones with thin straps. I feel like he'd be able to slip out of them in a second). He doesn't mind things going around his neck (at least he doesn't mind his collar and has never managed to get that in his mouth/ slip out of it when it was fitted correctly. He doesn't particularly like things going around his belly so that will be something to get used to for him (but I will be sure to get him nice and used to the harness before I attempt to take him outside in it).

I just wanted to clarify more about this harness because I know from the picture it looks like just a velcro walking jacket, but mine will also have buckles for extra security.
My cats have these with the double lock as well. They work like a charm. The cats definitely cannot duck out of them and they like them so much better than the Kitty holster harnesses that they had in the past. I feel a lot more secure with these because of the addition of the buckles. 

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've ever wanted something so much in my life.

I have these and they don't appear to be able to get out of them thus far.
I know right? I am a huge Doctor Who fan and it has the double locks and everything so it was perfect! I also got a matching leash for it. :)