Cone Problems

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Hobbes got neutered. Most of you know that, and he has a cone. Yippee. The cone is vet’s orders till Sunday, so that’s what we are doing. But Hobbes (the stinker), is keep getting his jaw stuck underneath the bottom rim of the cone. It’s hard to describe, but it’s pretty stuck. His mouth is clamped open basically. So I have to go wrangle a snarling and freaking out cat to take the cone off and stop his hissing. I’ve done this four times with the cone. I don’t want to get hurt, I don’t want Hobbes to get hurt, so I’m turning here to see if y’all have any ideas on how to solve this.

If not, I’ll have to wait till Sunday I guess!

Thanks in advance.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it held on by a fabric tie? I had to tighten it. Make sure you can still get 2 fingers under it. How is his incision looking? Scabbed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lennybells

Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah it’s a fabric tie. I tighten it every few days. I might have to tighten it again. His wound is healing really amazing. I can barely find it anymore, it’s that healed.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then if it keeps happening with the cone, I'd bet you could take it off. I'm glad to hear the area looks good! Try your best though - the cone will help prevent complications. I know a lot of cats, esp the males, don't get cones after their neuter, but you never know if they'll lick the area obsessively and reopen it. I'm not even sure they still use actual sutures anymore (prob switched to glue?) but I had a cat who fixated on the stitch and kept trying to pull it out.

Lennybells

Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah the vet didn’t put stitches. I’m going to keep trying with him. He is so mad with it but it’s for the best. The vet says that he will give himself an infection if he licks it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd tighten it a bit as well. 🙂 Sunday seems like a long time away but it will be here before you both know it!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't always need the cone, despite vet's instructions, if the cat doesn't bother his incision.

He might lick it a little bit. Cats normally clean themselves, back there. He had surgery so it's normal for a cat to give extra attention to the area.

If he's biting or pulling at the stitches, that's different. The cone is called for, then. But, if he's not, you can dispense with the "Cone of Shame."

How long has it been? I've never used a cone for more than the first few days to, maybe, a week on the outside.

Take a look at the incision site. If it's healing up and, if he doesn't do more than licking, go ahead and leave it off.

Lennybells

Adult Cat
Purraise
It’ll be a week tomorrow. It’s an open wound (no stitches) so they want him to keep it on. I think we can take it off early. Maybe Friday.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So Hobbes got neutered. Most of you know that, and he has a cone. Yippee. The cone is vet’s orders till Sunday, so that’s what we are doing. But Hobbes (the stinker), is keep getting his jaw stuck underneath the bottom rim of the cone. It’s hard to describe, but it’s pretty stuck. His mouth is clamped open basically. So I have to go wrangle a snarling and freaking out cat to take the cone off and stop his hissing. I’ve done this four times with the cone. I don’t want to get hurt, I don’t want Hobbes to get hurt, so I’m turning here to see if y’all have any ideas on how to solve this.

If not, I’ll have to wait till Sunday I guess!

Thanks in advance.
Cone is not necessary after neuter. My boy kicked the cone off the very minute he reached home and was without the cone ever. All TNR cats are released back the next day without the cones and they are ok.

Here's a thread I replied to regarding post neutering :- Is it infected??

'It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.'

Last edited:

Lennybells

Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I read that forum. It was a good one! We could probably take the cone off. I feel bad ignoring the vet’s orders, they sounded pretty firm with it. Hobbes has been ok, as in he really hasn’t been impacted by the cone (albeit a bit annoyed), but otherwise he’s ok. Maybe tomorrow we could take it off early.
The wound has scabbed and we are at the weak point today. I’m just worried he’d take the scab off. But I hate seeing that grumpy face of his from inside that cone. What should I do? Just off it goes and that’s it or should I keep monitoring and wait for Sunday?

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lennybells Lennybells any chance of a pic of scabbed wound? Is it a large or small area? Usually it is very small so it shouldn't be an issue if he does lick at it.

Lennybells

Adult Cat
Purraise
It is very small. Maybe 5 or 6 mm?

Lennybells

Adult Cat
Purraise
He doesn’t like being held to look at that specific area so a pic would be very hard

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well as suggested you could remove the cone and see how he acts and if the licking becomes an issue, back on with the cone.

tabbytom tabbytom gave you a link that pretty much gives you some idea of normal looking healing.