Cat-sitting dilemma

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, dilemma is a bit of a strong word, but I could use some advice.

I have a friend who is going out of town for a week and a half in August. She asked me to come over once a day to make sure her cat gets his medication, scoop his box. etc.

I did this for her last year, but my circumstances were different then. It was also only five days. She lives about 25 minutes away, and I have to rely on my mom to drive me as I can't drive myself.

This year, I don't think I will be able to do this for her. However, her cat is 18 years old and medically frail. I don't know if she can afford hiring an actual service to help her out, and I don't know if her family is able to come help. I want to help, but with my mom's work schedule I don't think I can. Also, her apartment is very hot in the summer, even with her AC on, and that worries me as well.

I have two cats of my own at home. They are both very cat-friendly cats, the kind that typically require little to no introduction to stranger cats. I've heard hers is the same. I have offered to keep him over in my apartment if her vet thinks that would work. I would, of course, keep him completely separated from the others, and would bring some of his own items from his home over.

I normally would never suggest removing a cat from his territory due to the stress it causes, but I'm not sure which is worse for him at his age--being alone in his home but without anyone able to monitor him for medical issues or ensure he takes his medicine, or being in a strange room for 10 days with all his basic needs met 24/7. I don't know which would cause him more stress.

Does anybody have any opinions, or any other ideas they can recommend? I won't let him be left alone no matter what, but I'm at a loss. Even if I could drive (working on it... it's so hard to learn as an adult), I would struggle with finding the time between my job and own health needs to go there and back every day. It would be easiest for ME if he was here, but I am having a hard time judging the pros/cons of it for him.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m no expert but in my opinion it would be better if he stayed at your place. My cat would definitely prefer not to be alone (she was abandoned at least twice and has crazy abandonment issues). Plus I myself as the cat owner would feel better knowing you were able to keep an eye on my kitty 24/7.
But again I’m not an expert so I’d suggest she ask her vet for their opinion.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I lean the other way - that he shouldn't have the extra stress nor be far away from his vet if he's that old and frail. It's a tough one since you've cared for him before. I assume you couldn't stay there due to work, correct? Can you talk this through with the owner? I think the owner needs to decide what's best for her baby. Just let the owner know what your limitations and boundaries are and then the owner can decide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I lean the other way - that he shouldn't have the extra stress nor be far away from his vet if he's that old and frail. It's a tough one since you've cared for him before. I assume you couldn't stay there due to work, correct? Can you talk this through with the owner? I think the owner needs to decide what's best for her baby. Just let the owner know what your limitations and boundaries are and then the owner can decide.
Yeah, the owner isn't sure what they want to do, so I'm hoping to get more opinions. I can't stay at their place as I have two cats of my own, one with some medical issues. We are about the same distance from the vet, at least, so that is one less thing to worry about; my main concern, really, is that he'd get sick when nobody was around and I wouldn't be there to take him to the vet. :(

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have had my cats go stay at someone else's place before and it went quite well. They got more attention and were less lonely.

Since you have the option to keep him separate and she could probably provide a shirt she has worn or similar, then I wouldn't see why not!

Having his basic needs met consistently, I'd think would cause less stress. Also, even with a camera in the apartment, you might not be able to get to the cat should something happen. At least if he's at home with you an emergency vet can walk you through first aid and perhaps a taxi or uber would be willing to help.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Last time I used nextdoor to find help. If it's only once a day some businesses will only be 20-$30

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would start out by bringing him to your apartment. If it is absolutely not going to work, he could be returned to his own home. The entire situation is dicey as you have mentioned because if he experiences a medical crisis, no one may be there or know, even if a camera is set up.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he is laid back and friendly, I would ask to do a trial run and keep him for a day, or maybe even overnight, to see how he'll settle in. If he has any special medical needs, this will ensure you're able to do the necessary daily things for him without him becoming too stressed as well.
We have a facility that offers cat boarding. If they are given a calm, quiet environment with their own belongings and things that smell like home, the vast majority of cats are out and about within 12-24 hours, and are asking to be friends with the people taking care of the within a day or so. People are always shocked when they come to pick up their cats, and the cat is up on their cat tree, looking out the window, and chirping and meowing at us for treats or pets.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Personally I think your friend's cat would be more stressed out if left alone in a hot apartment than with you at your house. As you said, he would have his own room with all his basic needs met. BTW, you're a great friend to not only want to help but take the cat's health into consideration too. 🤗