Antibiotic induces diarrhea

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had eye enucleation last Wendsday and has developed large amt diarrhea . He is on ampicillin and has had 6 doses . My vet tech neighbor said not to stop antibiotic because surgery close to brain. I called the eye clinic and they said it was ok to stop the antibiotic. Anyone have suggestion

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is Trooper doing aside from the diarrhea? He might need some probiotics and things to restore his gut flora. Animals especially are known to be given broad spectrum antibiotics which means they kill most bacteria - even kinds that are beneficial. Is everything else the same? Same food, same feeding times? Eating/drinking okay?

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much more of the antibiotic do you have left to give?
Our vet often recommends proviable ( for diarrhea), for a couple days, so maybe ask about that. I find to long on this they get constipation, but it stops diarrhea fast.
Otherwise, there are other probiotics on the market for long term use.
If one of my cats was put on antibiotics she was immediately put on probiotics.She always got terrible diarrhea. If she was going to have a dental cleaning she was put on probiotics two weeks before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is Trooper doing aside from the diarrhea? He might need some probiotics and things to restore his gut flora. Animals especially are known to be given broad spectrum antibiotics which means they kill most bacteria - even kinds that are beneficial. Is everything else the same? Same food, same feeding times? Eating/drinking okay?
Thanks for responding. He is on fortaflora in his kibble, everything same except for the amoxicillin. It is hard for him to eat and drink but i am helping along with hand feeding. The eye clinic called and said it would be ok to stop the med. just had another puddle of poop. Took some more water and kibble. He is a free feeder.
by the way his Persian dilute calico we named Izzy

syzygycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics causing diarrhea is normal for pets and humans.
It's a cause for concern if it's severe enough to cause dehydration.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many antibiotics cause diarrhea due to the fact it kills off both good and bad bacteria in the gut. Most probiotics aren't terribly effective because the antibiotics kills off the bacteria being produced by the probiotics - kind of a vicious cycle. One of the probiotics that works more effectively is s. boulardii because it is yeast based and antibiotics have less of an effect on yeast produced bacteria.
The benefits of using S. Boulardii for cats– FullBucket Health

FortiFlora is probably one of the weakest probiotics there is - but it is a good flavor enhancer for food when one is needed.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think more then the probiotics in the Proviable it is the Montmorillonite Clay her vets are after in the product.I do not know much about that ingredient,so feel short duration is best. It usually works in a couple doses.Izzy gets really terrible diarrhea on antibiotics. They like her on a different probiotic ( I buy C chewy ) to use on her before anything they know she will get an antibiotic for in the hopes of strengthening her system.