Zymox Ear Solution - Benzyl Alcohol!

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed today that Zymox ear solution has BENZYL ALCOHOL as the first ingredient. This ear solution is supposed to be safe for cats but upon further investigation, I found on the Cornell.edu website that Benzyl Alcohol is VERY TOXIC to cats!! :bat::fuming: Why would they market this as safe to cats knowing a cat is going to be cleaning it's ears after this stuff was administered?

My cat has not been well after using this last week and I'm wondering if there is any correlation.?

https://www2.vet.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/smallanimaltoxins.pdf

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow! Is this the same vet that just checked out Janie a couple of days ago, or a different one? Either way, you should call them and ask about what you've found. See if there is a correlation with the elevated pancreas enzymes, the peeing issue, and/or the drooling.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible that the Zymox manufacture's rep assured the vet the stuff was safe and the vet didn't look at the ingredients, or didn't research them. Easy enough to happen if a vet is busy, nonetheless, it really shouldn't happen. However, it happens with doctors too. They take the rep's word and the stats of success, without considering some patients will succumb to the side effects. Though, I flippin' don't consider fatal a side effect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's possible that the Zymox manufacture's rep assured the vet the stuff was safe and the vet didn't look at the ingredients, or didn't research them. Easy enough to happen if a vet is busy, nonetheless, it really shouldn't happen.
This is and OTC ear solution I bought at the pet store not through the veterinarian. I did ask my vet today if that could be causing all these sudden symptoms and she doesn't think so. She said Benzyl alcohol can be toxic to cats under other circumstances but doesn't think it contained in an ear solution would produce any problems as it is in other ear treatments too.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! Is this the same vet that just checked out Janie a couple of days ago, or a different one? Either way, you should call them and ask about what you've found. See if there is a correlation with the elevated pancreas enzymes, the peeing issue, and/or the drooling.
I did call the vet today to talk to her about her bloodwork and mentioned about the Zymox with Benzyl alcohol and she doesn't think it has to do with her current health problems.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that was good evidence tracking on your part. One more thing eliminated, good luck going forward.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Zymox otic (ear) treatments are topical applications and are not intended for ingestion. So, they work on the external areas of the body and, as such, will not cross over that barrier. These preparations also contain Propylene Glycol, but again, no need for any:eek2: :running:

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no need for any:eek2: :running: .[/QUOTE said:
:running:
:eek2:
This is me when it come to worrying about my cat :) It's hard not to. I want to make sure I'm doing the right things for her :catlove: