Zofran?

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another thread, but wanted to ask a specific med question. I hope that's ok.

Quick history-cat is struggling with constipation and vomiting over 3 weeks. Recent X-rays showed she was all backed up. Had enema, cleaned a lot out and was ok for 48 hours. Now has vomited 3 times today. Has pooped twice, but it's starting to look like constipation poop. She's taking cisapride (started 3 days ago) and miralax, but vet called in a script for zofran today. I just picked it up and it's for 4mg every 8-12 hours. That seemed like a lot to me as it's what I take for migraines. Vet office is closed until Monday. Called ER vet and they said they haven't seen her, can't advise specifically, but that is an appropriate dose for a cat in general. Has anyone else's cat taken the same dose?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'm hoping this will help my poor girl- little concerned constipation can be a side effect though!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny, you noticed that too !

Well, I might start off with 1/2 that dosage......that's a step up from the 'ordinary' dosage (I think) and still allows you to increase if necessary.

Now, you said that Miralax has been added into the mix.....

Coincidentally, I was just posting to someone else about Miralax, so I'll drop off the same reference for you: Feline Constipation.org - Prevention - Osmotic Laxatives (Don't miss the last paragraph there - just above the paw.)

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you again-that's a very helpful resource!! I was thinking of halving the dose too. Waiting to see if she vomits again after she pooed about 5 hours ago. If so, I'll give her the zofran.

I remember reading on here about "dosing to effect" with miralax, so I did increase her dose tonight. She usually gets 1/4 teaspoon 2x daily, so I gave her 1/2 teaspoon. This poor kitty has been through so much! I can't believe she is still backed up. I hope I'm not looking at a serious motility problem :(

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just gave her half a pill-I hope she gets some relief from vomiting. She still has her appetite-just keeps vomiting every 6-8 hours.

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vomited 4.5 hours later. Going to give full dose when she's due again. :(