Zoey

Jill Watkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat Zoey just had one kitten 3 days ago. She is nursing well. I made her a nursing bed in a large shallow storage container and have been keeping her and her kitten in my bathroom. They seem to be doing fine but when Zoey comes out of the bathroom she comes to me and cries a lot what if any advice do you have on what she could want?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Jill Watkins Jill Watkins

She probably wants attention. Having a kitten is a big change, and it sounds like she is telling you all about it! :)

Is she closed up in the bathroom? She may prefer to have more access to you.

Is mom eating well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jill Watkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been to vet for shots but not for pregnancy. I have been keeping her in the bathroom but let her out constantly I thought she might be lonely so I moved the birthing box in my bedroom well I woke up in the middle of the night with her and her kitten in bed with me also since being in my room she keeps moving kitten so I put her back in the bathroom. She is very loving and affectionate she follows me around a lot so I thought maybe she missed me but I can't keep her in my room if she keeps moving her kitten so not sure what to do

Jill Watkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is eating and drinking well

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is not uncommon with a cat who is strongly bonded to her person and has a singleton kitten to want to constantly be close.

Is the baby nursing well and gaining weight?

Mom doesn't know that she can be with you more once she's nursed her baby through these first critical 3-4 weeks. :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My disabled daughter's cat had the same behavior (I recently adopted her from a lady who had to rehome her due to owner-illness and the cat gave birth 3 days before her spay date) so I put newspapers and towels in a tall cardboard box in the closet, added an unwashed t-shirt of my daughter's, put the kittens in there, added mama kitty and then brought my daughter downstairs to the couch for the day and it helped a lot.

Jill Watkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is eating well and gaining weight as well. She's doing great thanks for all feed back it's just hard Zoey cries for me and it breaks my heart!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to stay in the room with mom as much as you can. It's also ok for her to take short breaks away from the baby, as long as she goes back when the baby cries.

Can you keep mom inside and away from intact males until the kitten has weaned?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Try to stay in the room with mom as much as you can. It's also ok for her to take short breaks away from the baby, as long as she goes back when the baby cries.

Can you keep mom inside and away from intact males until the kitten has weaned?
Yes, female cats can get pregnant already a week after giving birth.

I'd love to see pictures!

Jill Watkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she's an inside cat but my daughter brought in a male stray she feeds when I was at work even though I told her no and then surprised we were lol when a kitten arrived so it won't happen again

Jill Watkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they are thanks for saying so!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she's an inside cat but my daughter brought in a male stray she feeds when I was at work even though I told her no and then surprised we were lol when a kitten arrived so it won't happen again
Aw, very cute! A mini me! Will you be keeping the kitten?

Would you like help finding a low cost spay / neuter clinic? It would be a great kindness to neuter the stray male, and there are significant health benefits to spaying your cat.

Jill Watkins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a place in Fort Wayne Indiana that will fix mom dad and kitten 60 dollars total . Yes I'm going to keep the kitten I'm pretty sure it's a boy