Ziwipeak moist food - Anyone has had issues with it ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once again, thank for your thoughts, Haycat! I don't know what caused the upset and likely won't unless I try some raw venison in the future but I'd rather stay close to what a small cat would naturally hunt in the wild. As a matter of fact, it would make sense that they have difficulties digesting red meat, it's tough on the GI tract, even for humans.

But hooray! First of, he's starting to eat more of the Primal rabbit by himself, although he doesn't like it when I make a patty out of the Pronto, but he'll learn to deal with it as the nuggets are cheaper. I still feed hime a few teaspoons a day of Ziwipeak venison so he has some variety since it seems to help eating the rabbit. I will switch the Ziwipeak with something else in a short while but I'll give his GI tract a rest first. Second, today, he passed a beautiful small odorless full of fur crumbly stool. Reading this website, I'm glad I'm not the only one to celebrate over a stool! 

haycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nice to hear your cat is getting used to Primal rabbit! 
 And about good stool too!

As it turned out, I think Ziwipeak was loosening my cat's stool too in some way... I used to give both raw and canned (mainly Ziwipeak, but other canned brands too). We quit Ziwipeak completely a while ago, and my cat is now on 100% raw. He got this constipation for two and a half days until I gave him a little pumpkin. His stool is rock-hard when fed 100% raw. So I guess Ziwipeak used to "loosen" my cat's stool, or at least added some bulk to the stool because it's less digestible than raw.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one examining cat's stool every day! 
 Good luck for your transition and his tummy!

mikeytown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure why Ziwipeak causes the loose stool, but it may be either because of their fat content or particular ingredients (like agar-agar or olive oil). Also, your cat may not handle venison well. It is said it's harder for many cats to handle red meat such as beef or venison than poultry or rabbit.

If you can find a raw food he likes, how about using it instead of Ziwipeak? If the raw food is made of poultry, he may not have problems handling it. Even if the food is fattier than you like, Primal Raw Pronto Rabbit can help dilute the fat content, since rabbit is pretty lean.

Since you can't make many changes at once, I think your steps are good. If he really doesn't like primal rabbit, it may be better to keep his weight if you start early, adding new raw food that he likes little by little.
i think kiwipeak has killed my cat he vomitted really bad and never got better with lung cancer probably fluid in the lungs it was too late with antibiotics made things worse hes been put down now. i wouldnt recommned this food to anyone i silly listen the naturopath vet.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m so, so sorry for your loss. Our pets are family and I feel for you, been there several times. May he rest in peace. My prayers go out to you and your little one. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻😢