Ziwipeak canned

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

thanks for the reply
He's about 5 1/2, appears to be pretty healthy. I'm hoping its the fatter ZP products. He is assumed to be a possible F5 Savannah(?) and his coat is medium/short but very coarse, so when he's licking it might be that he is getting some hair. I have a tube of paste, so I'll start giving him an inch or so every 3-4 days. And, yup=I thought it might also be the fish.
My intention is to settle on maybe two foods, and give hime a lifes abundance 1 can a week or so, for the 'treat (he really likes it, but has puked after being given a whole can; thus the half can, followed by a half can later.

You said you feed 1 can of ZP a night. Whats your regular feed amount and schedule? Is one (3 oz) can of ZP the entire diet for one cat per day, or is there more to his/her diet? I've wondered if 8-12 oz a day isn't way too much, but the damn cans say

I understand that ZP has some 'raw' elements. We have worried about cross-contamination, as the space we have would be the same place we prepare food. Do you use a 'prepared' raw, like radcat or similar? Are there any frozen or freeze-dried raw foods that contain all of the necessary goodies, like taurine, etc? We might go that way, if it is feasible. We are old and tired, errrr, older and ready to retire, so we are trying to balance realistic care for Artie and time and space. When we leave for a few days, there is no one to give him raw, unless it is pre-prepared.
THanks for all of your help.
Fred & Artie
My younger cats all share food, mostly because they're all from the same litters and it's just how I started feeding them when they were little. 7 of them share about 8oz of raw in the AM, sometimes I give them another 3oz in the afternoon, and they get around 6-8oz for dinner, and then for an overnight snack they eat 2 6oz cans of either ZP of Weruva, and a little ZP air dried. It sounds like a lot of food, but they're all between 1-2 years old, so they're still eating a lot. No one is overweight, so I think I'm doing ok! My other 3 older cats 1 only eats canned food and she eats around 3 to 4 3oz cans a day, 1 eats half homemade raw and half freeze dried raw, and one eats half rad cat venison half zp air dried. 

I make my own raw, and i use some Rad Cat. You can always feed half raw half canned, lots of people do that. So when you're gone he can eat canned. When we leave we put the cats on all canned food and ZP air dried, they do fine with it. ZP is raw when it's packed in cans and then cooked slowly in cans. It's good food, for sure. I don't have any real issues with it other than the price.  

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW....its more than ZP. NOTE: I just looked at the CatTao site, and it looks like the turkey AND chicken are BOTH without carageenan.

How did you like the bravo? Are you still using it? I might try it.....?

Thanks for the help.
Pet Tao's turkey is the only one I would consider from their line of cat foods.

My cats really liked Bravo, especially the fricassee (chunky) meats, however, I discontinued it due to my cat testing positive for an egg alleegy. They do make pates but I'd also prefer to avoid shellfish (GLM) and I'm skeptical of natural flavors (and agar agar).

Hope what you're doing is working out for you.

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pet Tao's turkey is the only one I would consider from their line of cat foods.

My cats really liked Bravo, especially the fricassee (chunky) meats, however, I discontinued it due to my cat testing positive for an egg alleegy. They do make pates but I'd also prefer to avoid shellfish (GLM) and I'm skeptical of natural flavors (and agar agar).

Hope what you're doing is working out for you.
still 'running out' the supply of ZP Venison/Fish. We bought Feline Natural, and he does well with that. We will probably stick with ZP other than fish, feline naturals and slowly go to either radcat or ZP airdried raw, 1/2 & 1/2 with one of the canned.
Thanks

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My younger cats all share food, mostly because they're all from the same litters and it's just how I started feeding them when they were little. 7 of them share about 8oz of raw in the AM, sometimes I give them another 3oz in the afternoon, and they get around 6-8oz for dinner, and then for an overnight snack they eat 2 6oz cans of either ZP of Weruva, and a little ZP air dried. It sounds like a lot of food, but they're all between 1-2 years old, so they're still eating a lot. No one is overweight, so I think I'm doing ok! My other 3 older cats 1 only eats canned food and she eats around 3 to 4 3oz cans a day, 1 eats half homemade raw and half freeze dried raw, and one eats half rad cat venison half zp air dried. 

I make my own raw, and i use some Rad Cat. You can always feed half raw half canned, lots of people do that. So when you're gone he can eat canned. When we leave we put the cats on all canned food and ZP air dried, they do fine with it. ZP is raw when it's packed in cans and then cooked slowly in cans. It's good food, for sure. I don't have any real issues with it other than the price.  
Thanks for your patience.....
I ordered a bag of ZP air dried lamb, and a case of ZP canned rabbit/lamb. If you look at the ziwipeak feeding guide, the canned states 11 oz per day, and the dried calls for about 2 oz per day. So I'm thinking about 1 6oz can and an oz of dry mixed together might be close to a one day supply, split into 3 feedings, one am, one dinner, and a late snack. That sound right to you, or is it too thin? I'll get into radcat soon, after I see that Artie is going for the dry/wet mix.

No fish stuff. I'll run out the lifes abundance and the venison/fish supply, and for a treat give him a can of feline nature now and then. Whatcha think?
F

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for your patience.....
I ordered a bag of ZP air dried lamb, and a case of ZP canned rabbit/lamb. If you look at the ziwipeak feeding guide, the canned states 11 oz per day, and the dried calls for about 2 oz per day. So I'm thinking about 1 6oz can and an oz of dry mixed together might be close to a one day supply, split into 3 feedings, one am, one dinner, and a late snack. That sound right to you, or is it too thin? I'll get into radcat soon, after I see that Artie is going for the dry/wet mix.

No fish stuff. I'll run out the lifes abundance and the venison/fish supply, and for a treat give him a can of feline nature now and then. Whatcha think?
F
My cats like the ZP air dried because they get crunchies without all the fillers that are in kibble. You can def mix it with wet food or feed it on its own or mix it with water. I try not to give them too much of it tho because I feed it dry and I dont want them eating too much of anything that's dry. It does seem pretty filling tho. I think your plan sounds good. Let us know how its working out 
 my cats LOVE the Rad Cat vension. Go nuts for it, would eat it 24/7 if i could afford it 

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My cats like the ZP air dried because they get crunchies without all the fillers that are in kibble. You can def mix it with wet food or feed it on its own or mix it with water. I try not to give them too much of it tho because I feed it dry and I dont want them eating too much of anything that's dry. It does seem pretty filling tho. I think your plan sounds good. Let us know how its working out 
 my cats LOVE the Rad Cat vension. Go nuts for it, would eat it 24/7 if i could afford it 
did you see this?
http://www.poisonedpets.com/rad-cat...alse-misleading-human-grade-claims-revisited/

I might rethink RadCat. I'll snoop around some more websites to check it out, maybe cal them and see how this happened, and what they did/are doing about it.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

did you see this?
http://www.poisonedpets.com/rad-cat...alse-misleading-human-grade-claims-revisited/

I might rethink RadCat. I'll snoop around some more websites to check it out, maybe cal them and see how this happened, and what they did/are doing about it.
Rad Cat was recalled back in June, however, not pets became ill and while the FDA claims their testing showed bacteria in the meats, Rad Cat's own independent testing did not show any bacterias. They have a detailed breakdown about it on their website. I've feed Rad Cat for a few years without issue. In fact I was feeding it during the recall, although I didn't have any affected lots (that I know of). Cats have a much more acidic digestive system than humans do, so they can handle a rather larger bacteria load.. Some bacterias can make cats sick, but ultimately it's rare. The FDA however has recalls several raw pet foods before. They are very clear about the fact that they don't support raw pet foods, so it wasn't really surprising they finally came after rad cat.

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Rad Cat was recalled back in June, however, not pets became ill and while the FDA claims their testing showed bacteria in the meats, Rad Cat's own independent testing did not show any bacterias. They have a detailed breakdown about it on their website. I've feed Rad Cat for a few years without issue. In fact I was feeding it during the recall, although I didn't have any affected lots (that I know of). Cats have a much more acidic digestive system than humans do, so they can handle a rather larger bacteria load.. Some bacterias can make cats sick, but ultimately it's rare. The FDA however has recalls several raw pet foods before. They are very clear about the fact that they don't support raw pet foods, so it wasn't really surprising they finally came after rad cat.
any opinion on Darwins? Or, if you were going to replace Rad Cat, which raw ready-to-go food would you choose? I'm new to the raw concept (to a degree) and have lots of 'fear' about making the wrong choice.
THanks. You ARE a great help!
F

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

any opinion on Darwins? Or, if you were going to replace Rad Cat, which raw ready-to-go food would you choose? I'm new to the raw concept (to a degree) and have lots of 'fear' about making the wrong choice.
THanks. You ARE a great help!
F
Eh. I've looked at both Darwin's and My Pet Carnivore, but Darwin's is really high in bone (something like 25% or more, which is way too high for cats), and MPC seems to have more organs and less muscle meat. Rad Cat is really the best pure raw food, although Small Batch, Fresh is Best, and Savage Cat are all great, but they're only local to certain areas and not nation wide so I can't get any of those in AZ :(

Really, I need to just make more raw food, but I get lazy and my cats went through a phase where they were being really picky and weren't eating much of my homemade raw. That has mostly passed. In fact, I just place a order with Hare Today and I'm hoping to add more homemade raw and less Rad Cat. I do have one cat that only eats RC venison, but she's one of my older cats so it's fine with me that she prefers RC. 

You could give freeze dried raw a try to help you move into raw territory. When i first went raw (at the time I only had 3 cats) I started with Rad Cat, then i phased Rad Cat out and went with homemade, and then i moved back into about half Rad Cat half homemade. My oldest cat eats about 50% raw I make and 50% freeze dried. I use a mix of Instinct Raw Market and Stella and Chewy, but Primal is another good one. I wouldn't say they're better than the canned foods you're feeding, but they're decent options for people looking for a medium ground between canned and raw. Both Instinct and Primal have some veggies, while Stella and Chewy has some controversial ingredients in it (synthetic vitamin K, and recent addition of pea fiber). 

ziwi cust care

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lisa Marie:  

I 'd like to address some of the concerns you've posted here. I am the manager of the U.S. Sales and Marketing Office, and I handle all North American customer service inquiries. I don't know if you are a North American consumer, and some of your comments pre-date my employment with Ziwi, so I can't address any of the issues you've had with our Customer Service department before January 2016; however, since that time, I can assure you that all North American CS inquiries we receive are responded to within a few days - most within hours. If you have inquiries that were overlooked, I offer my sincere apologies.  Please email me directly at [email protected] or call our Customer Care line@ 1-877-464-9494, and I will respond within 24 hours, Monday - Friday.

Other than commerically-sensitive information about our manufacturing process and recipes, Ziwi IS fully transparent about the ingredients in our foods.  We are a small company staffed by dedicated pet lovers and we are very proud of the quality and sourcing of our products. Ziwi foods are regularly listed on many "Best of" lists. We take the concerns of our consumers very seriously, and are constantly researching, consulting with animal nutrition experts and conducting feeding trials to improve our products.

RE: Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Carrageenan, Agar Agar and Chickpea (ingredients used in canned meats for their binding and/or gelling properties): We removed carrageenan from our recipes  several years ago. This year, due to consumer requests, we are  removing agar agar and tetrasodium pyrophosphate from our recipes, as well.  As part of our research into improving our canned recipes, we conducted  feeding trials. The consensus was that most cat owners (and their cats) prefer a firmer, loaf-like texture. Our extensive research indicated that the healthiest way to achieve this is by adding a small amount of chickpea to our canned recipes.

PLEASE NOTE: On a dry matter basis, our canned cat foods STILL contain 93% meat and organs, including New Zealand Green Mussel and small amounts of ground bone.

Re: Broth content as reported on labels and on website:   The broth in our cans is formed from the combination of raw meat ingredients and water. In the canning process, many of the nutrients in the meats dissolve into the water, forming "broth".  The USFDA, which regulates the labeling of pet foods, requires listing ingredients on labels in descending order by weight, so broth is often listed first on our labels. This is true of most canned pet foods.

However, the standard for comparing one pet food with another is the Dry Matter (DM) basis, which is the breakdown of nutritional values in the solid matter only. This is the only way you can accurately compare the nutrient values between different types of pet food (canned, kibble, air-dried, freeze-dried, etc.) and is why broth is not generally listed on website descriptions, or in nutrient analyses.

PLEASE NOTE: In our newly revised recipes, broth will actually be listed 2nd; meat will be our #1 ingredient by weight.

Re: Inaccuracies on retailer websites, such as Chewy, Amazon, etc.  We have an eCommerce manager who spends a good part of his 40-hour week, providing updated content and corrections to online retailers.  We are, for the most part, at their mercy regarding the wording on their sites and they don't always list things correctly, or update info when asked, This is very frustrating to us, as well. When we see something listed inaccurately, or a consumer calls our attention to inaccurate information on an eCommerce site, I can assure you that we do everything humanly possible to get the info corrected. 

I realize that you may have other concerns that I haven't adequately addressed, and I welcome your phone call or email. I feel very proud to work for Ziwi - The people I work with, both here and in New Zealand, are truly some of the most sincere and passionate people I have ever known.  Please allow us the opportunity to regain your confidence.