Zits?

jsarvari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so my kitty scratches her face a lot because she has dry skin (I do give her remedies for it, but it is a persistent issue) so it is not unusual for her to have very thin fine hair one her chin. I noticed a dark patch on the corner of her mouth (maybe a half a penny in diameter) under her chin and it felt raw so I gently rubbed some fish oil into her chin; it's safe for her to lick off and will hopefully give her some relief long enough to not scratch and let it heal. But I noticed it getting larger, and now it almost feels like a zit. It still the same colour and not overly inflammed so it doesn't look puffy, it just doesn't feel right.
She's eating properly, cleaning regularly, playing no problem and it doesn't seem to hurt her when I try to touch it.
Is it an abscess? If it's not an abscess, what is it? What do I do? She has other health issues triggered by stress (vet,car rides, anything not at home) so I do not want to put her through a vet visit if she does not have to go through one, as that will just cause more issues for the poor girl. Any ideas/input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, so my kitty scratches her face a lot because she has dry skin (I do give her remedies for it, but it is a persistent issue) so it is not unusual for her to have very thin fine hair one her chin. I noticed a dark patch on the corner of her mouth (maybe a half a penny in diameter) under her chin and it felt raw so I gently rubbed some fish oil into her chin; it's safe for her to lick off and will hopefully give her some relief long enough to not scratch and let it heal. But I noticed it getting larger, and now it almost feels like a zit. It still the same colour and not overly inflammed so it doesn't look puffy, it just doesn't feel right.
She's eating properly, cleaning regularly, playing no problem and it doesn't seem to hurt her when I try to touch it.
Is it an abscess? If it's not an abscess, what is it? What do I do? She has other health issues triggered by stress (vet,car rides, anything not at home) so I do not want to put her through a vet visit if she does not have to go through one, as that will just cause more issues for the poor girl. Any ideas/input/advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am a human doctor, not a veterinarian.   I can tell you that, whatever is wrong with your cat's skin, it is unlikely to be an abscess as it is not tender.  However there is really insufficient information to even attempt to make any diagnosis of the skin condition and I do not think that this is something that you should try to treat yourself.  As the skin condition is getting worse, I do suggest that you obtain your vet's opinion on what your cat suffers from and how it should be treated.

I note what you write about the car rides causing stress, but if possible you should ask somebody else to drive so that you can comfort your cat by sitting with her and putting a familiar hand inside the carry-cage to stroke her.

With all regards,

Geoffrey

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 10 year old cat that hates going anywhere too.  She used to pee in her carrier on the way to the vet as well as acting like she was being murdered on the way there.  She was also scared at the vets.  I switched to a new vet a few years ago that sprays herself with a product called Feliway between patients and my cat is much more comfortable around her.  This vet gave us a sample Feliway wipe and told us to wipe down the carrier before putting her in it for her next appointment.  My hubby had to take her to the vet on his own while I was at work.  Normally she has to be put in the bathroom and it takes both of us to get her into the carrier.  Hubby wiped down the carrier with the Feliway wipe. It made a huge difference for my baby.  He was able to put her into the carrier with less struggle.  She was much calmer once in the carrier and did not have any accident in the car.  Hubby told me she only complained a little bit during the car ride. On the way back she slept in her carrier. Once she was home she came out of the carrier and hung out with my hubby instead of spending hours hiding under the bed.

Perhaps this could be helpful to your baby for vet trips.  You can find Feliway online or in pet stores.

I do agree with Geoffery about taking your baby to the vet for a check-up.  Also zit's can get infected and turn into an abscess based on my personal experience as a human.  If this is the very beginning of an infection the redness, swelling and pain just may not be present yet.  Cats are also really good at hiding pain and this issue will be less painful to treat if it is dealt with sooner rather than later.   It is better to prevent the issue from getting worse before it becomes painful for your baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jsarvari

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your input! I very much appreciate it :)