Yowls when showering/moving home

pippicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have 2 questions I need a bit of advice with. I apologise if this post is too long.

Firstly, Pippa has been recently, which she hardly ever used to, started yowling when I am in the shower. It isn't just a meow, but more like a constant yowl, until I get out. She is around 9 years old, a rescue cat, I've had her for a year, but we have developed a bond for the past 3 years (was a hospital cat) and she has only really started this in the past few weeks. She is an only cat as cannot stand other animals and used to have behaviour problems when in the hospital with other cats such as urinating everywhere all over the place. Now she is living with me and is alone, she has used the litter tray every single time.

I guess she wants my attention and wants me to be in the living room with her as she doesn't like sitting in the bathroom, as when I am out of shower and out of bathroom, she is fine. I do not give in to her yowls as I know that any sort of attention, positive or negative will encourage her, so I ignore it, but it is extremely frustrating! She has plenty of toys and hiding places, boxes, etc but she just walks round flat and yowls until I finish. I kind of think that she probably thinks that when I've finished in shower and get out on my own accord, that her yowling has brought me out, which isn't the case (am I reading too much into this?!)

Second Q - I am moving house in a few days, how can I help her to settle into new place? I know to try and be with her for the first week or so as much as possible, although on a realistic note, I cannot stay stuck there 24hours a day for a week and never go out, so I know she will have to learn to cope with the initial distress. And of course, because (due to other cats in hospital) she had a problem of urinating etc everywhere all over the hospital, (in sinks/bathtubs, on clothes, boxes, books, anything really!) I am worried that the stress of moving will cause that problem to re-occur. I know she hasn't had this issue in the place that I am moving from as has always used litter tray, but I can't help but worry she will go back to old habits!

Thanks for reading this!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would talk to her while in the shower and poke my head out to say "hello" once in a while to see if this helps. Other than that I don't know what to do.

But as for moving, I would place several litter boxes around the house till she gets used to the place and I guess when she settles in pick the box she uses the most and keep that one or two (could take a few weeks). Pick her up (if she likes this) and talk to her as you show her the windows to look outside. Try and engage her in playtime at least once a day especially as it gets dark out. Keep a light on for her at night and if you can, play soothing music (my cats love classical or Enya) You won't have to do all this forever but it certainly helps.

Keep a good routine and try not to be away for too long. Make sure her favorite sleeping spots are accessible. I recently moved and ReeRee wasn't able to use his favorite bed (which he suckles on
) because I had it in a place he wasn't happy with. I moved it the other night and he went right in and fell asleep!

Good luck with the move! Let us know how it goes!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pippicat

Hi, I have 2 questions I need a bit of advice with. I apologise if this post is too long.

Firstly, Pippa has been recently, which she hardly ever used to, started yowling when I am in the shower. It isn't just a meow, but more like a constant yowl, until I get out. She is around 9 years old, a rescue cat, I've had her for a year, but we have developed a bond for the past 3 years (was a hospital cat) and she has only really started this in the past few weeks. She is an only cat as cannot stand other animals and used to have behaviour problems when in the hospital with other cats such as urinating everywhere all over the place. Now she is living with me and is alone, she has used the litter tray every single time.

I guess she wants my attention and wants me to be in the living room with her as she doesn't like sitting in the bathroom, as when I am out of shower and out of bathroom, she is fine. I do not give in to her yowls as I know that any sort of attention, positive or negative will encourage her, so I ignore it, but it is extremely frustrating! She has plenty of toys and hiding places, boxes, etc but she just walks round flat and yowls until I finish. I kind of think that she probably thinks that when I've finished in shower and get out on my own accord, that her yowling has brought me out, which isn't the case (am I reading too much into this?!)

Second Q - I am moving house in a few days, how can I help her to settle into new place? I know to try and be with her for the first week or so as much as possible, although on a realistic note, I cannot stay stuck there 24hours a day for a week and never go out, so I know she will have to learn to cope with the initial distress. And of course, because (due to other cats in hospital) she had a problem of urinating etc everywhere all over the hospital, (in sinks/bathtubs, on clothes, boxes, books, anything really!) I am worried that the stress of moving will cause that problem to re-occur. I know she hasn't had this issue in the place that I am moving from as has always used litter tray, but I can't help but worry she will go back to old habits!

Thanks for reading this!
My cats adapted in a few days from a flat to a 3 story townhome. I had totally Feliway'd the place before moving the cats in based on advice I received her on TCS. This is not at ad campaign but Feliway seems to work!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also suggest talking to her while you are in the shower. It sounds like she is afraid for you, showers are small confined places with water, that can freak a cat out. She loves you and wants you to be safe. I would not think of it as encouraging bad habits, more just letting her know you are in fact OK in there. Older kitties can develop strange habits, we must roll with it.
ETA: about the urinating, If she has been good with you going in her box, I see no reason a move would revert her to old problems of peeing everywhere. Hospitals are full of smells to a cat, the sinks, tubs, etc. may have smelled to her nose of urine. Not all hospital workers dispose of fluids in the most hygenic manner, sad to say.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also suggest talking to her while you are in the shower. Cats sometimes need encouragement, acknowledgment, or just a simple "hey, I'm still here" to help her calm down and know your still there. As far as moving, I would maybe keep her in one room at first, make sure she is calm and not stressed then slowly introduce her to the rest of the home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.

I did worry a bit for nothing because, she used her litter tray and has not urinated etc anywhere but the tray
She does not like other cats which is why she urinated everywhere when she was in the hospital, the stress of the other cats got too much for her, the minute they were gone/she was away from them, she was fine, much more relaxed and playful.

She is doing very well, settling in slowly and getting used to the flat, the sounds, layout and such. I guess I worry more than she does

As for the shower, well, I have been talking to her, but that seems to make her cry out even more. She never used to be like this when I showered.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad the move went well! Thats great!

Maybe like the rest of us she thinks her voice sounds better in the "shower" and is singing to you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe, her voice is much better than mine anyhow!

I guess I can put up with it, she stops the minute I am out of the shower, so yeah, maybe she is a little concerned for me or just doesn't like the fact that I am not there to give her attention!

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe she just gets upset because she can't be with you in the shower. If I go in the bathroom and shut the door so my Max can't get in, he starts that yowling. It always starts out as a meow, but then if I don't open the door right away that's when he does that. He doesn't do that if I'm in the shower and he's in the bathroom because our shower doors don't go all the way to the top and he jumps up there and sleeps while I'm in the shower. Max wants to be able to see me when I am home and your cat may be the same way. He doesn't necessarily want me to interact with him, he is very happy sitting on the other side of the room as long as he can see me. If you really want to test it, go in another room and shut the door and see what your cat does. I bet she will yowl her head off. I don't know what you can do to fix it though (a lot of help I am huh,
). I look at it like this:Max wants to be with me, as independent as he can be sometimes, he loves me very very much and just wants to be near me (and for him that means being able to see me). I think the same holds true for you and your kitty. Really, she's just showing you how much she loves you.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you let her in the bathroom with you when you shower? Mazy cat is the Shower Supervisor in my house. She must sit on the side of the tub and make sure I don't drown.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she able to check out the shower when you're not in there? Holland loves going into my tub (as long as the water's not running) and playing with the shower curtain. I let her in the bathroom when I'm showering and most often she will sit either on the counter or on the toilet - I have one of those fuzzy toilet lid covers and she likes to sit on that.

Glad the move went well!