Yowling....

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fashioncat

I have a problem with my16 year old cat who is also hyperthyroid...she's been on medication for 2 months now and is doing well but the latest thing she does is come into our bedroom at 1:00 am, wide awake and sit on the bed and cry constantly. Called my vet and he is suggesting anti-anxiety medication... any comments from anyone?
Have her thyroid numbers stabilized? I would be reluctant to put her on additional medication until I was sure that her thyroid was under control. I have another cat on amitriptyline for a bladder issue. I tried to taper her off a few weeks ago, and she went a bit nuts (she was running all over the house if I moved the slightest bit). Antidepressants and antianxiety drugs can have some strange withdrawl symptoms in both humans and animals, so I would try to use them as a last resort. In the meantime, I would try to establish a new routine with her by spending lots of time playing with her just before bed. I think that routines can be very helpful for our older kitties especially.