You're Going To Laugh, But...

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im definately a pattern side up person, same reason as everyone else: I use coasters to protect my coffeetable, not just prevent it from getting wet.
And I dont know, but do you think something absorbing moisture all the time and then sitting open is completely healthy? Molds frequently grow on corks (and can turn wine by doing so), and a warm (indoors), moist environment is very encouraging for that kind of growth....If youre looking for absorbancy, id recommend a hygenic alternative to felt/cork bottomed coasters, for example clay, or washable absorbant material...

deb polenz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone commented you use cork for wine bottles why would it absorb, does not make any sense. Which now that they mention it, yeah does not make sense to use the cork, I am also wondering why those who mention using the recessed side seem so smug, well of course  you can tell what side to use if one side is recessed. arg. Any coaster with a hard surface on one side and cork or felt on other, yes I would put hard side up. Paper is the issue, something that looks like paper and has nice picture on it is usually the issue isn't it, as we would automatically think we would ruin the paper by getting moisture on it, I would think they must treat them with something, I am using the paper side now and it is not absorbing it. SO WHO SAYS THAT THE COASTER HAS TO ABSORB THE MOISTURE? All it has to do it keep it off the table not the drinking glass.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hi deb!

This thread is from 2008.not sure of most people here are around anymore.