Your opinions wanted, by me

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hmm. i have no idea if that is even in my country?

I use arm and hammer super scoop..non scented. I have auto boxes so that keeps the smell down anyways, but the litter itself doesn't make me or the cats sneeze which is my major concern some litters i have tried have caused a sneeze frenzy among pets and humans here

we did try a wheat litter once but nobody seemed too impressed.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we recently tried "feline pine scoop". the guys are not impressed. it only got used after i mixed some regular scooping litter in there. and i don't think it's very easy to scoop the clumps out.

we'll be sticking with scooping clay litter, but i think i'll be grabbing arm & hammer unscented or fresh step cedar next time. last time i accidentally grabbed fresh step regular scoop--that was a mistake!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of Feline Pine. i was like what is this?! this is litter?!?

caita(tm)?'scats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Instead of using clump litter you could go with cat box liners. It's much easier to use because when the litter box is all full, you just have to tie the bag and throw it in the trash. If the smell of the urine bothers you, you can get a cover for the litter box and also you can mix a little bit of baking soda in with the litter.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
if you fill the pan deeply and scoop daily, WBCL multicat is amazing. I have one cat and three pans (one on each floor) scoop daily and i throw the stuff away and sterilize the litter pans every 12 weeks. sometimes longer.

Three girlfriends have been sworn to be honest about whether my house smells and they never detect cat.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Fresh Step scoopable clumping litter. I'm satisfied and as long as it's maintained daily it works really well.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Arm & Hammer Super Scoop was my favorite, and is a good one- until I got the Scoop Free Auto box, and it uses crystals, and I like those a lot better than I thought I would. Marishka took to them easily, and practically no tracking with them (for me at least).

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're happy with the clumping-ness of Scoop Away, but I like the arm & Hammer stuff, too. I'm not real picky though - I have no sense of smell, so I go more for what clumps the best.

I have wanted to try some of the "alternative" litters - Feline Pine or Yesterdays News - but I'm afraid my cats wouldn't recognize them as litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

if you fill the pan deeply and scoop daily, WBCL multicat is amazing. I have one cat and three pans (one on each floor) scoop daily and i throw the stuff away and sterilize the litter pans every 12 weeks. sometimes longer.

Three girlfriends have been sworn to be honest about whether my house smells and they never detect cat.
Good suggestion. Unfortunately for me, Daisy doesn't really cover her poop all that well. So far the Tidy Cats litter is doing a superb job re: odor so I'm just gonna stick with it. I'd like to "havidol" as my friend says but sometimes I gotta learn the art of compromise. Tidy Cats for this house

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used the crystal litter? I found it really controls odor, but am worried about it harming my cat. She started having loose stools a few weeks after we switched. It could be co-incidence, but that's the only thing in her littlle kitty world that changed...

Thanks for your input!

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by imogen

Has anyone used the crystal litter? I found it really controls odor, but am worried about it harming my cat. She started having loose stools a few weeks after we switched. It could be co-incidence, but that's the only thing in her littlle kitty world that changed...

Thanks for your input!
I would think that if she had ingested it, it would be more likely to cause consitpation. I have never had a problem with the crystals, but I use them to mix with regular clumping.

twoflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like Arm & Hammer clumping litter the best, for Multiple cats. The problem with that is there is a good bit of dust from the baking soda. Worlds Best was also good except it didn't control oder at all! :/

imogen - I started using Crystals in our kitten litter box lately, and I love it. It controls odors wonderfully and is so easy to maintain/scoop. We are sort of experimenting with it right now, and seeing how long it lasts, since it is pricey we want to find out if it is worth the price.

So far, though, it is!

I can't imagine why it would affect your baby's bowels, though. Maybe she got into some table scraps she shouldn't have?

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am now using Swheat Scoop mixed with Arm & Hammer. It controls odors great for me, but I only have one cat to worry about.

Oh and I hate Feline Pine because it doesn't clump. The smell was always nice though, but a real pain to clean in my opinion.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Im gonna get crap for this but I like Fresh Step! I know odorless and even clump free is recommended (because of the clay... avoiding an ingestion issue) but this is what I use at the time! Im open for suggestions! I use scented because Tiger drops some serious and deadly waste!
I use Fresh Step clumping litter and don't really care if I catch crap for it!
As you said, it controls odor extremely well and my cats like it. If I try to get another brand, they rebel. Especially Peaches. She'll start pooping in the bathtub until I change it back to Fresh Step. I've never found another litter that controls odor nearly as well. Haven't had any luck with Tidy Cats (worse smell at my house), ARm and Hammer or Swheat scoop. But I think it could be different for a cats body chemistry. Why not? It is for humans with perfume and even some of the foods we eat (especially garlic and onions).

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was surprised to find an inexpensive clumping brand called "Exquisi Cat" works VERY well. I get the fresh scent. It is a more course litter and, I think, is the Petsmart brand. It is less than Fresh Step or Arm and Hammer and works better for my cats.

Having a cattery, I have tried almost everything. This is still my favorite. Now, if they would just make those automatic litter boxes with a battery, I would be VERY happy.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TwoFlower

I can't imagine why it would affect your baby's bowels, though. Maybe she got into some table scraps she shouldn't have?
Me either! But, it does seem to be a problem. She was better, but now that she's better I tried the crystals again (they do REALLY control odor) she's having trouble again. I guess it's back to the clumping. Here, the only choice is a brand called Pipi Bent (how funny is that!).

Thanks!
Kate

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Tidy Cat - Multi-cat scoopable with "immediate odor control" it is the _best_! One of my boys could go and do his thing in the box and you would never know it.

Downside - the litterbox doesn't stink so we sometimes wait a tad bit too long to scoop.