Your Opinions On The Felv And Fiv Vaccines

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you think those shots are necessary for an indoor cat? And are they effective at all?

We live in an apartment on the 6th floor, so Marx will never get out on his own (unless he learns how to use the elevator), but we do take him out sometimes where he kinda can meet other cats (vet appointments, groomer, and the occasional try to walk him on a leash).

I already asked my vet if she thinks those shots would be necessary (and if she even can get them, since most cats here in China only get the rabies shot) and she told me they are proven to not be effective.

I've done some research online but it's not really conclusive, some say all cats should get the FeLV and FIV shots, some say that they are useless, some say they are even dangerous.

I'm pretty confused by all this so I thought I ask what your opinions are and if your cats received those shots?

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 4 indoor kitties, 3 with special needs and I no longer vaccinate them. They have had their kitten shots and at least 1 rabies shot. All of my kitties go to the vet at least once a year for some ailment or just for a general check up.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Feline leukemia is contagious, so if one cat tested positive and other cats who live in the same apartment did not, the negative cats should all get it. Otherwise, that vaccine is unnecessary. I read if a cat already tested postive the vaccine will have no effect either way except for the possibility of future false positives. So I do not support giving the feline leukemia vaccine unless it is required.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I vaccinated my "original":angel: 2 kitties Patches and Sandy with the FeLV vaccine a long while ago.

After a few years of vax and consulting with our vet, we did not give that vax any longer.
They lived to be 17 and 20 years old.

I have not given the FeLV or FIV vax to any of the other cats I have had since then. I do not feel it is needed for my indoor cats.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
We never vaccinated our indoor kitties. I vaccinated Luna when I started taking her outside because I knew their were other outside cats and I knew my neighbors outside cats died of feline leukemia. But that was just because I knew there had to be other cats out there with it and there could be a chance of her contracting something when I walked her outside. And she was a door darter too and got out all the time. I didnt follow up with the vaccines now that they are always inside

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The FIV vaccine is not very effective and will make a cat always test positive. It's generally not recommended.

FeLV vaccine is fairly effective, though it also has a fairly high chance of side effects. I'd recommend it for a cat that goes outside unattended, especially if they fight with other cats. But it takes more than casual contact to spread, so a cat who only goes out on a leash isn't at risk. I wouldn't bother.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a better recommendation: never let your cats go outside. Then you will not have to worry about your cats get sick from anything in any way unless you bring parasites inside.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't get either vaccine for indoor cats. There is no reason to vaccinate an indoor cat against either of these.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't get either vaccine for indoor cats. There is no reason to vaccinate an indoor cat against either of these.
:yeah: This link gives an explanation of core and non-core vaccinations: Vaccination Guidelines for Dogs and Cats | School of Veterinary Medicine

Our indoor cat is vaccinated against feline panleukopenia (FPV), feline calicivirus, and feline rhinotracheitis; rabies inoculations aren't legally required for indoor cats in our area, though they are in many.

FPV is often fatal, and this very resilient virus can be brought into the house on your shoes/clothing. The other two are responsible for feline respiratory infections and are important if your cat ever has to be boarded, e.g., at the vet's, or if you bring a new cat into your home.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you think those shots are necessary for an indoor cat? And are they effective at all?

We live in an apartment on the 6th floor, so Marx will never get out on his own (unless he learns how to use the elevator), but we do take him out sometimes where he kinda can meet other cats (vet appointments, groomer, and the occasional try to walk him on a leash).

I already asked my vet if she thinks those shots would be necessary (and if she even can get them, since most cats here in China only get the rabies shot) and she told me they are proven to not be effective.

I've done some research online but it's not really conclusive, some say all cats should get the FeLV and FIV shots, some say that they are useless, some say they are even dangerous.

I'm pretty confused by all this so I thought I ask what your opinions are and if your cats received those shots?
Having lost a cat in the past to FELV I say definitely get the shots. If your cat is even around other cats I would get the shot. I don't think most Vets. give the FIV shot any more. Better safe than sorry....